Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2
    Post Thanks / Like

10 Years On: Expansion Clubs In & Out of WBFC

After 10 years on, I was interested to see how our club has faired with the filtering of players in and out.

GWS

Ward, Reid, Gryphone, DFA (DFA), Pick on Marchbank (Now at Carlton)
    T. Boyd, Treloar (via Coll), Bruce (via StK), Darley, Picks on Macrae & Prudden

GCS

Harbrow, Grant (DFA)
    Pick on-trade Sherman

It was sold at the time that it would affect all clubs. But I think our players going to expansion sides is arguably the best: Ward, Griff, Harbrow are all guns and best 22 players. Reid has been a great servant too. They got a top 10 pick too off us.

But it was also sold that more players would move around. Getting Tom Boyd was key to the flag, while currently having three best 22 players in AT, Bruce & Macrae as a result. Shame about Sherman…

But it seems when you wash all the players in and out over the first decade, yes we gave up a lot for the betterment of the AFELs want for domination. But we also got our fill of very good players too.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 10 Years On: Expansion Clubs In & Out of WBFC

I really think that the generally poor standard of play of the last 5 years (and ergo Richmond's premierships) is attributable to the expansion teams being granted priority access to all of the elite talent and stagnating their development by playing a majority of them out of position/in the seconds.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I really think that the generally poor standard of play of the last 5 years (and ergo Richmond's premierships) is attributable to the expansion teams being granted priority access to all of the elite talent and stagnating their development by playing a majority of them out of position/in the seconds.
    No disagreement from me about expansion teams impact on the competition. With the NT & Tassie seriously lobbying for new licences I think the thinning out of talent is going to be exacerbated. I suspect the extra concessions given to GWS are at a minimum of future concessions to avoid another GCS. That GWS didn’t quite consolidate their start with a flag, perhaps two new clubs with even bigger concessions would be concerning for many reasons.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

GWS helped us with a pick swap last year to get Jamarra. 26 for 29 and 52.
    Increased our hand by 170 points.
    Last edited by Grantysghost; 15-06-2021 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Added points

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    GWS helped us with a pick swap last year to get Jamarra. 26 for 29 and 52.
    Did one with GCS in 2016.

6. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Where it impacted us was that we bottomed out at the wrong time, meaning our choices were a bit limited compared to what they could have been.

Where it impacted the broader competition was that both sides - but GWS in particular - were supposed to actively trade there early selections through the competition to balance the talent pool and make each team immediately more competitive and appealing within their local markets.

It's why I take such pleasure in having spoiled GWS's party in 2016, and in turn the AFL's. They were laughing like fat spiders thinking we wouldn't roll them at Showgrounds. They genuinely thought they had their perfect scenario of a Melbourne based low light but feel good story just falling short of the big dance at the last hurdle, to the benefit of their shiny new toy. They knew there'd be outrage if it happened to Essendon, Carlton or Collingwood, but not the Bulldogs. We were an easy and justifiable kill.

The AFL disingenuously advised everyone they were powerless to stop GWS from stockpiling talent to build their Ferrari, of course nobody bought it, but they needed a patsy like the Bulldogs to be able to get away with it, and they almost got their wish.

But we stood in the way, landed the biggest and most decisive *!*!*!*! you that's ever been heaved at the AFL since 1989 and it was us again who did it. There's little wonder why the establishment dislikes us, we make them look foolish when all bets are off.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Adelaide’s key back stocks were raped in the early days by the expansion clubs. Bock and Davis come to mind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    As well as playing them way too soon because they had no other choice ala what Collingwood did with Fraser, although we know grinding young rucks into the ground is a death knell for their career. A lesson we thankfully learnt early with regard to English.

It’s great we can afford to keep our powder dry with Mara, regardless how much the meeja are baying for our blood over not playing him.