Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  65
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL Game Day R13 2021

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    The Cats are slow and lack a full team defence. Yes they have individual stars (and I still shake my head how free agent Cameron goes there for nothing) but I can’t see them holding strong for four weeks in a row during finals with no soft tissues or other injuries to their old fellas.
    They traded for Cameron.. and paid quite a bit, but had lots of currency following on from Tim Kelly's departure the previous year.

Agree on the other part... it's a long & hard year and will be interested to see where they're at come finals time.

2. Thanks SquirrelGrip thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    If we do, I expect Geel to kick the biggest score of the year.
    I would be truly disappointed if you didn't harbor such thoughts.

4. Likes BornInDroopSt'54, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I would be truly disappointed if you didn't harbor such thoughts.
    Well, Geel have kicked some huge scores at the Cattery. I worry about our defence in normal situations, let alone against the likes of Hawkins, Cameron and Rohan. If our defence is put under immense pressure by either the half backs playing too high, or no defensive running from the mids, I’m expecting a bloodbath with Gardner and Cordy (yes, I don’t rate them).
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, Geel have kicked some huge scores at the Cattery. I worry about our defence in normal situations, let alone against the likes of Hawkins, Cameron and Rohan. If our defence is put under immense pressure by either the half backs playing too high, or no defensive running from the mids, I’m expecting a bloodbath with Gardner and Cordy (yes, I don’t rate them).
    I don't rate them either!

Geelong have only kicked over 100 points on 3 occasions this year so the likelihood of them putting us to the sword isn't high, but you 're correct that if we are off our game we will be made to pay... the good thing is that we've defended well as a team really well this year and I'm expecting no different this week.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I don't rate them either!

Geelong have only kicked over 100 points on 3 occasions this year so the likelihood of them putting us to the sword isn't high, but you 're correct that if we are off our game we will be made to pay... the good thing is that we've defended well as a team really well this year and I'm expecting no different this week.
    Good to know I’m not alone there Mantis.
    I agree, in general we have done well considering our Achilles heel, but our team will have to be very mindful not to play into the hands of the Geel game plan. I’ll be watching with bated breath Friday night.

Post Thanks / Like

Hawks playing well so far. They have played the SCG well for years.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Just switched it on, pretty pathetic game
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Umpiring was a bit off.

Hawthorn given a golden run by Razor Ray.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

11. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Hawks playing well so far. They have played the SCG well for years.
    Someone here knows his footy at the SCG.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Umpiring was a bit off.

Hawthorn given a golden run by Razor Ray.
    Razor holds a grudge. As soon as Papley tore him a new one, it was only going one way.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

With the half backs, where exactly would you have them play?

When the ball is in our forward half, you want any opposition spare to be as far away from the ball as possible. Otherwise, they can receive the exit kick, create a series of 2v1's and just kick the ball over the head of your defenders who are inside d50 playing (essentially) on their man.

So we roll them up, roll them up and the half backs end up picking up (in an ideal world) an opposition high forward who is pressing. But more likely the player they have to pick up is a sagging mid OR a defender who is leaking out of the zone to create a 1-v-none whilst a mid (most often a winger) covers for them.

It's just the choice you have to make if you want to play a zoning style defense which Bevo does...the onus is then on the 'group' to push back and cover 'most dangerous' as the ball transitions.

I wouldn't be too concerned about Geelong who move the ball pretty darn slowly under their 'defend with the ball in hand' playing style. But it does mean that if we get it wrong vs Melbourne, Richmond or even Port we are going to be in trouble.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

15. Thanks The Underdog thanked for this post
    Likes Grantysghost, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    With the half backs, where exactly would you have them play?

When the ball is in our forward half, you want any opposition spare to be as far away from the ball as possible. Otherwise, they can receive the exit kick, create a series of 2v1's and just kick the ball over the head of your defenders who are inside d50 playing (essentially) on their man.

So we roll them up, roll them up and the half backs end up picking up (in an ideal world) an opposition high forward who is pressing. But more likely the player they have to pick up is a sagging mid OR a defender who is leaking out of the zone to create a 1-v-none whilst a mid (most often a winger) covers for them.

It's just the choice you have to make if you want to play a zoning style defense which Bevo does...the onus is then on the 'group' to push back and cover 'most dangerous' as the ball transitions.

I wouldn't be too concerned about Geelong who move the ball pretty darn slowly under their 'defend with the ball in hand' playing style. But it does mean that if we get it wrong vs Melbourne, Richmond or even Port we are going to be in trouble.
    Totally get what you’re saying MJP, but I don’t want to see the likes of Hawkins, Cameron and Rohan one out with their opponent if Geel happen to get a quick kick out of the centre from the bounce. Geelong will surely push their half fwds right up, allowing plenty of space for Hawkins, Cameron and Rohan to work in. What will worry me is if Dangerfield bursts from the centre bounce and gets it in quickly, hence, kicking over our half back line.

You know more about set ups than I do, but I’d at least have a Duryea or Crozier just sitting off that 40 metre line to at least give another body there.

Post Thanks / Like

...if Geel happen to get a quick kick out of the centre from the bounce. Geelong will surely push their half fwds right up, allowing plenty of space for Hawkins, Cameron and Rohan to work in. What will worry me is if Dangerfield bursts from the centre bounce and gets it in quickly, hence, kicking over our half back line.

You know more about set ups than I do, but I’d at least have a Duryea or Crozier just sitting off that 40 metre line to at least give another body there.
    But if they exit CBD with 6-6-6 what are we supposed to do? Those big forwards are 100% going to be one-out...but so will Naughton and Bruce.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

But if they exit CBD with 6-6-6 what are we supposed to do? Those big forwards are 100% going to be one-out...but so will Naughton and Bruce.
    Limit Dangerfield in the centre bounce. They don’t score that well from it, but have missed him for a large part of the year so that could swing the other way as he finds his groove.

No slow switch - let’s try and be more direct and create run and overlap through the middle where we can. They score well and fast off the turnover, but we still need to take risks with our ball movement rather than long and slow. We may get burned still, but at least we have a chance to score too.

Smart entries - they will chop all night with intercepts. We need to create angles and be smart with our entries.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, but Geel backs take contested marks…our backline doesn’t.