Thanks Thanks:  25
Likes Likes:  267
Page 3 of 47 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V Geelong R14 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Given the players have continued to train through the bye week I would like to think we are switched on when it's go time.. it's a huge test of our maturity to see how we perform in this game given we've struggled in like games recently.
    Yep, I was forgiving of the Melbourne game but not this Friday Night. Had plenty of time to wrap our heads around the current situation, we know the importance of this game.

Win this and we solidify ourselves as a genuine threat. Lose and you have to wonder if we're a step below the top 2-3 (Melb / Geel / Rich) given Port's form hasn't stacked up this year, despite it still being a great win.
    W00F!

2. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How many games have we played in front of no crowds, where we've been flat, versus games where there have been crowds and we've been flat anyway?

Not sure if the crowd has anything to do with what we dish up, rather, this group of players has issues with being switched on a lot of the time against both good and bad teams.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

4. Likes Grantysghost, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep share the concern about how we turn up

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    How many games have we played in front of no crowds, where we've been flat, versus games where there have been crowds and we've been flat anyway?

Not sure if the crowd has anything to do with what we dish up, rather, this group of players has issues with being switched on a lot of the time against both good and bad teams.
    We're 2-3 so yeah not a lot in it. However all 3 losses were quite abysmal in regards to intensity and being switched on. Particularly the absolute horror shows against Collingwood and Saints early last year.

Our wins were against GWS and North last year who were both average teams in 2020. There's not enough evidence to suggest there's anything in it but I get the concern.

Post Thanks / Like

It's not purely just no crowd, its that our team has seemed to fail when something different or unexpected happens.

I have no evidence or stats to back it up so it could just be my pessimistic nature.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post

The three that stand out for me are the two Marvel games early last year against the Pies and Saints and the Demons this season. They were all very flat performances.

Flip side we also played the Giants (Haynes toss rd 3) and were well up for that and North in rd 5 prior to the QLD hubs which we won by 8 goals.

So I get the angst but I think we have shown we can generate the right attitude with no crowds, hopefully we can do the same again I’m pretty confident we will.
    Last edited by Grantysghost; 15-06-2021 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Corrected gws game round.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Marvel with the roof closed and no crowds is as sterile and dull an environment you could play footy in. It's crap to watch on TV, can imagine it's even worse out there so I can understand if the energy levels aren't quite the same. I can excuse the side for having a low energy down week against Melbourne.

Going to Geelong, no roof, enemy territory, fresh after the week off, top spot up for grabs. No excuses this time.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

10. Likes DOG GOD, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I think Marvel with the roof closed and no crowds is as sterile and dull an environment you could play footy in. It's crap to watch on TV, can imagine it's even worse out there so I can understand if the energy levels aren't quite the same. I can excuse the side for having a low energy down week against Melbourne.

Going to Geelong, no roof, enemy territory, fresh after the week off, top spot up for grabs. No excuses this time.
    FWIW I believe the roof was open but the sentiment remains largely the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    FWIW I believe the roof was open but the sentiment remains largely the same.
    It was definitely closed.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

We have shown that we can be spooked by the occasion when Richmond at the MCG came at us we seemed a bit spooked by what we could achieve.
    We need to be fierce about the contest v Cats.
    This is the game of the season for us to date.
    If we win...

Dogs by 17 pts.
    FG Macrae.
    BOG Bontempelli

Post Thanks / Like

It was definitely closed.
    Correct. Changed to be closed a day before we played.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Our mids have to be on top and they have to run both ways. If Geel are on top in the centre bounce our backs have no chance against Hawkins and Cameron in particular…and if we bomb it in hoping Naughton can take 10 contested marks, we will be playing into their hands. Let’s see if we have the mental maturity to pull off a victory.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    Chances are being the only Vic game we will now have Razor Ray, and that’s never good for us.
    Surely worse for Cats who rely on Selwood getting looked after.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I totally understand it. Playing in front of a crowd will always give you that extra bit. But for some reason it affects us more than the opposition.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm less worried about the non-crowd (although we have a decent sample size of listless performances in empty stadiums) and more worried about the dimensions of that toy ground with no wings. We don't win there even when Geelong are average (such as 2015).

Actually I don't think we've won there since 2003, whereas they live and breathe and train there every day - they've barely ever lost there against anyone since their dynasty started 15 years ago.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"