Thanks Thanks:  25
Likes Likes:  267
Page 45 of 47 FirstFirst ... 35363738394041424344454647 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V Geelong R14 2021

The good thing is none of them have been deflating losses like we've had in the past when on the up and up. They've delivered their own concerns but think back to the 2008 clash at Kardinia Park when we got pounded by ten goals at a roughly similar point of the season. That was deflating.

I feel like our players are going to keep improving and maturing, hopefully to the point where we can hang in for longer more often and if you do that you make your own luck sometimes but sometimes you still miss out. But if you don't get that consistency you're never in it seriously.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    The good thing is none of them have been deflating losses like we've had in the past when on the up and up. They've delivered their own concerns but think back to the 2008 clash at Kardinia Park when we got pounded by ten goals at a roughly similar point of the season. That was deflating.

I feel like our players are going to keep improving and maturing, hopefully to the point where we can hang in for longer more often and if you do that you make your own luck sometimes but sometimes you still miss out. But if you don't get that consistency you're never in it seriously.
    We also have a couple of A grade mids to come back and bolster us which should give us some confidence. Dunks was interviewed before the game and said Rd 18 is his target and he's on track for that. If he's as important as I think he is, I reckon we'll see a significant uptick once he's back and Treloar will just be cream on the cake.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    We also have a couple of A grade mids to come back and bolster us which should give us some confidence. Dunks was interviewed before the game and said Rd 18 is his target and he's on track for that. If he's as important as I think he is, I reckon we'll see a significant uptick once he's back and Treloar will just be cream on the cake.
    I agree, we have 5-6 elite mids. Need all to be playing to get those rotations allowing Bont that extra bit fwd which will be needed come finals.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

The concern is winning enough games to stay top 4 until our elite mids get back, all the while not actually getting a new injury, which we continue to get EVERY week.

There's a few similarities with 2016, let's hope it ultimately delivers the same result.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    The concern is winning enough games to stay top 4 until our elite mids get back, all the while not actually getting a new injury, which we continue to get EVERY week.

There's a few similarities with 2016, let's hope it ultimately delivers the same result.
    Yeah, the new injury every week thing is getting pretty old.

I think 6 more wins gets us top 4 and a likely first final at the MCG. That should be the main focus from here and if we win the ones we're big favourites in, should get us there.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Your last paragraph is what concerns me. One can argue Richmond was one bad half. Melbourne one bad quarter. Geelong one bad minute.

But as we know, it’s three losses from three matches against the best three opponents this year. That’s a nagging concern I have. I guess the only way to overcome it is to beat good opponents, starting with WCE at home.
    Usually I would be front and center in banging on about the fact, as I have been in previous years, but this year there's clearly circumstances impacting our ability to beat the best sides.

The Richmond game was most disappointing - we had most of our side in, but we looked flat in the second half and got run over.

Melbourne game, never really thought we were a chance given our personnel out and the whole lockdown/no crowd situation. Excuse? It is, but it's also real.

Last night's game we were missing two elite mids, a first ruck (which hurts our structure badly) and Wood. Then we lost Naughton at half time. To run Geelong to a kick in a game we should have won in the end, on their own shithole, with their whole side in (Duncan's injury the exception) is a hard result to swallow but commendable.

We are clearly good enough to beat the best sides but we need some bloody fortune too.

The game v Eagles is one I worry about in terms of it being a blowout after an emotional and mental let down. It's a big test, if we can find a way to win, it'd be enormous.

Assuming we lose all is not lost, but we can't drop many more games and we sure as hell can't keep losing good players every single week if we want to compete with the best.
    W00F!

7. Thanks Go_Dogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My biggest concern in the 3 losses is our inability to score for large chunks of game time and the haphazard way we moved the ball. All system and structure has gone out the window in these games.

Post Thanks / Like

My biggest concern in the 3 losses is our inability to score for large chunks of game time and the haphazard way we moved the ball. All system and structure has gone out the window in these games.
    Isn't that due to the pressure from a good opposition?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Isn't that due to the pressure from a good opposition?
    Of course, and we haven't handled it well at all.

Post Thanks / Like

I just think we need a plan B, when guys like Libba are tagged and also change up our tactics coming out of the backline.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

On balance, we've not handled it well for about 70 minutes of game time but that's enough to put a nail in those three games.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    I turned it off when they were bursting fwd with 47 seconds left.
    I’m not surprised with the result.
    Glad I didn’t see it.
    Dude that is so sad. You're worse than me!

Post Thanks / Like

If Brisbane beat Geel, port win and we lose, teams 2-5 will be on level points. Top 4 is not a given, particularly with WC and Rich (easiest draw of the top 8) hot on our heels.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Dude that is so sad. You're worse than me!
    Heart was pounding out of my chest.
    Not good for my underlying health issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    If Brisbane beat Geel, port win and we lose, teams 2-5 will be on level points. Top 4 is not a given, particularly with WC and Rich (easiest draw of the top 8) hot on our heels.
    There's still 9 games to play and 6 of them are against teams outside the top 8. We also play Port and Melbourne which will largely determine our spot in the top 4. Win the game against bottom 8 sides and halve the Port/Melb game and we're top 4 in a canter. Not saying it'll work out like that but most models have us as huge probability of making top 4.