Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
Pretty sure he was reluctant to leave VIC considering his young family. And he plays a role which kind of doesn't exist in our current setup. English succeeding as a tall forward has made it very hard for Wallis, and I don't think the club see's him as an inside mid unless we have broken all the other glass first.
There are many players with young families making sacrifices through COVID. Mitch is not alone in this regard, and he is our senior Vice Captain. Any reluctance he might have would be based on how he sees himself currently in the eyes of this MC.

Personally, I see Mitch as a better selection option than what McNeill is offering as a rotating midfielder where he generally receives little more than a handful of touches with some decent pressure acts.

In addition to what Mitch could offer our midfield rotation, whether as support to Libba on the inside, or as a negating inside mid, he can also effectively pinch hit effectively up forward.

I could argue a case where he would be better served than others currently being selected in front of him.

One thing Mitch has shown is that he can reinvent himself when presented with an opportunity, from inside mid to a lead up 3rd tall forward, and coming from adversity in his recovery from a seriously bad injury.

IMO he is a case where his benefits to the team are being ignored because of a singular view that he is not quick enough for the style that we wish to play.

I see it as shortsightedness, and possibly stubbornness, particularly as the younger players currently in favour with the coach fall off as the season progresses.