Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  43
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee - Round 12 Vs Fremantle 2021

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Pretty sure he was reluctant to leave VIC considering his young family. And he plays a role which kind of doesn't exist in our current setup. English succeeding as a tall forward has made it very hard for Wallis, and I don't think the club see's him as an inside mid unless we have broken all the other glass first.
    There are many players with young families making sacrifices through COVID. Mitch is not alone in this regard, and he is our senior Vice Captain. Any reluctance he might have would be based on how he sees himself currently in the eyes of this MC.

Personally, I see Mitch as a better selection option than what McNeill is offering as a rotating midfielder where he generally receives little more than a handful of touches with some decent pressure acts.

In addition to what Mitch could offer our midfield rotation, whether as support to Libba on the inside, or as a negating inside mid, he can also effectively pinch hit effectively up forward.

I could argue a case where he would be better served than others currently being selected in front of him.

One thing Mitch has shown is that he can reinvent himself when presented with an opportunity, from inside mid to a lead up 3rd tall forward, and coming from adversity in his recovery from a seriously bad injury.

IMO he is a case where his benefits to the team are being ignored because of a singular view that he is not quick enough for the style that we wish to play.

I see it as shortsightedness, and possibly stubbornness, particularly as the younger players currently in favour with the coach fall off as the season progresses.

2. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    Personally, I see Mitch as a better selection option than what McNeill is offering as a rotating midfielder, or as a negating midfielder, who can also pinch hit up forward.
    McNeill hasn't played any mid time afaik. He has been playing as a crumbing forward and is in the side primarily for his pressure acts. Wallis doesn't have the attributes for this role I suspect, we are looking for a natural crumber who has pace and can cover a lot of ground.

There are many players with young families making sacrifices through COVID. Mitch is not alone in this regard, and he is our senior Vice Captain.
    Yes agree, and from what we can tell (basically just Mark Stevens tweet) Mitch has made this choice, not us for him.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

McNeill hasn't played any mid time afaik. He has been playing as a crumbing forward and is in the side primarily for his pressure acts. Wallis doesn't have the attributes for this role I suspect, we are looking for a natural crumber who has pace and can cover a lot of ground.
    Not in the primary starting midfield per se, but regularly McNeill is setup around the stoppages forward of centre applying defensive pressure acts on the opposition smalls. Just part of an extended midfield generally forward of centre.

Post Thanks / Like

There are many players with young families making sacrifices through COVID. Mitch is not alone in this regard, and he is our senior Vice Captain. Any reluctance he might have would be based on how he sees himself currently in the eyes of this MC.

Personally, I see Mitch as a better selection option than what McNeill is offering as a rotating midfielder where he generally receives little more than a handful of touches with some decent pressure acts.

In addition to what Mitch could offer our midfield rotation, whether as support to Libba on the inside, or as a negating inside mid, he can also effectively pinch hit effectively up forward.

I could argue a case where he would be better served than others currently being selected in front of him.

One thing Mitch has shown is that he can reinvent himself when presented with an opportunity, from inside mid to a lead up 3rd tall forward, and coming from adversity in his recovery from a seriously bad injury.

IMO he is a case where his benefits to the team are being ignored because of a singular view that he is not quick enough for the style that we wish to play.

I see it as shortsightedness, and possibly stubbornness, particularly as the younger players currently in favour with the coach fall off as the season progresses.
    You really think that? I would think that Wally is on the outside because of other factors other than just pace.

With regard to how he re-invented himself as a 3rd tall with that role now being filled by an actual tall shouldn't Wallis be competing for a spot with Bruce & Naughton; because by no means is Mitch a small forward in the truest form?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure on the likelihood as he's listed as a test, but with Taberner a possible return would you think we bring Gardner back as I'm not really comfortable having just Keath & Cordy in to tackle Lobb (206cm) & Taberner (198cm)?

7. Likes josie, Threedogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pretty sure he was reluctant to leave VIC considering his young family. And he plays a role which kind of doesn't exist in our current setup. English succeeding as a tall forward has made it very hard for Wallis, and I don't think the club see's him as an inside mid unless we have broken all the other glass first.
    My feeling is that Libba has Wally's spot and unless Libba is injured Wally won't get a look in. We seem reluctant to play two slow inside players for fear of being too one-paced, and probably rightfully so.

Post Thanks / Like

Not in the primary starting midfield per se, but regularly McNeill is setup around the stoppages forward of centre applying defensive pressure acts on the opposition smalls. Just part of an extended midfield generally forward of centre.
    McNeil helps us spread from stoppages and has pace so he can 1. apply pressure where needed and 2. has the ability to harass the opposition across multiple contests. Mitch's shortcomings come to the fore in this space because he just doesn't have the legs to follow up while defending or the legs to create space moving forward. He's an inside distributor and a very good one, problem is we have a better one in the side at the moment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I'm not sure on the likelihood as he's listed as a test, but with Taberner a possible return would you think we bring Gardner back as I'm not really comfortable having just Keath & Cordy in to tackle Lobb (206cm) & Taberner (198cm)?
    Treacy is 193cm, so maybe Cordy to Treacy, and Keatrh and Gardner on Lobb and Taberner
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    You really think that? I would think that Wally is on the outside because of other factors other than just pace.

With regard to how he re-invented himself as a 3rd tall with that role now being filled by an actual tall shouldn't Wallis be competing for a spot with Bruce & Naughton; because by no means is Mitch a small forward in the truest form?
    I wouldn’t say it if I didn’t believe it.

Anyway, from Mitch’s lack of pace means that he has struggled with the defensive requirements of the modern game, meaning the pressure to retain the ball in the forward fifty is compromised, and with this the opportunity for the opposition to set up scoring opportunities from defence. These would be the MC’s biggest concerns.

With that said, I still believe the strengths that he brings outweighs what McNeill is offering currently, and most certainly should be part of the travelling group as VC of the team.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn’t say it if I didn’t believe it.

Anyway, from Mitch’s lack of pace means that he has struggled with the defensive requirements of the modern game, meaning the pressure to retain the ball in the forward fifty is compromised, and with this the opportunity for the opposition to set up scoring opportunities from defence. These would be the MC’s biggest concerns.

With that said, I still believe the strengths that he brings outweighs what McNeill is offering currently, and most certainly should be part of the travelling group as VC of the team.
    Can't take him interstate if he doesn't want to go which seems to be the likely scenario.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

What do we do with centre bounce attendances? Does Baz take up all of Lip's time as back up to Bont, Macrae and Libba? Baz isn't going great bout his base line clearly safer than Lip. Anyone else who could go in?

Post Thanks / Like

Baz didn't go to a single centre bounce last weekend. I would be changing that immediately and think that him on the inside and Lipinski on the outside gives them both the best chance of succeeding.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    What do we do with centre bounce attendances? Does Baz take up all of Lip's time as back up to Bont, Macrae and Libba? Baz isn't going great bout his base line clearly safer than Lip. Anyone else who could go in?
    After the big 3 who all attended 19 or 20 out of 25, Smith attended 9, Lipa 7 and Hunter 1. I would assume it will look similar on Sunday, unless Lipa is dropped which would require a rejig.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Baz didn't go to a single centre bounce last weekend. I would be changing that immediately and think that him on the inside and Lipinski on the outside gives them both the best chance of succeeding.
    He went to 9 actually, although it was on Friday so technically you are correct.

Link

17. Thanks Happy Days thanked for this post
    Likes jeemak, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    Baz looks good bursting out the front of the stoppage (see our first goal) but defensively he's the worst of our mids, which is a liability when you consider Bont, Libba and Macrae aren't exactly focused on what their direct opponent is doing either.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.