Thanks Thanks:  25
Likes Likes:  132
Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee - Round 15 Vs West Coast Eagles 2021

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Well we could just leave Hannan in the side I suppose?
    Why does one going out means the other comes in?

Seriously the result with Schache is just so predictable.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I don't know how you could come to another conclusion to be honest. He gave up against Collingwood in 2019, gave up against Carlton in 2020 and gave up against Richmond earlier this year. He's just not willing to work hard enough to play the role that his physical attributes demand of him.
    I think he has been more physical and harder working in VFL. Let me get this straight, if we pick him, I will be nervous. Maybe you're right, it's hard to tell if it's confidence or effort, especially with his history.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    If I had to choose between English as primary ruck with Hannan/Bruce as back up versus English as primary ruck with Schache/Bruce as back up, I'm choosing the latter. I hate it, but I hate it less than the former.
    While I agree I'm just not convinced form and team balance are a high selection priority for us.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

4. Likes mjp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Why does one going out means the other comes in?

Seriously the result with Schache is just so predictable.
    I'm working under the assumption that Naughton plays and Schache replaces Hannan so we still go out three talls with English in the ruck. If Naughton doesn't play and we have Schache and Hannan down there we'll struggle.

Post Thanks / Like

If I had to choose between English as primary ruck with Hannan/Bruce as back up versus English as primary ruck with Schache/Bruce as back up, I'm choosing the latter. I hate it, but I hate it less than the former.
    I think we are in real trouble if Naughton can't play or is really hampered (unless Eagles don't get the guys expected to come back).

I'd see Schache is filling in whatever works around English and Bruce. If English is doing well-enough in the ruck, Schache stays forward. If Bruce and English both look dangerous alongside Naughts, Schache takes more time in the ruck. It's a bigger ground, which hopefully suits Schache's forward patterns (MCG didn't help, I know...).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    While I agree I'm just not convinced form and team balance are a high selection priority for us.
    It should be the highest priority, surely?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Nic Nat will play approx. 70% game time, so if we want to play English on Nic Nat, and rest Timmy on the bench / forward when Nic Nat is off, we need someone capable of spending 30% game time in the ruck.

If Sweet isn’t playing it’s probably Bruce / Schache as the best options. At least if Schache comes in we can try and keep their tall defenders accountable with always having at least 2 tall forwards on the field.

Plus agree with reward form.

I’d written Schache off after Richmond too. The fact he’s gone back and played well is good though - he hasn’t fallen in a heap and given up, he’s been resilient and gone back to work. Like that. Reward it.

9. Likes Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    Nic Nat will play approx. 70% game time, so if we want to play English on Nic Nat, and rest Timmy on the bench / forward when Nic Nat is off, we need someone capable of spending 30% game time in the ruck.

If Sweet isn’t playing it’s probably Bruce / Schache as the best options. At least if Schache comes in we can try and keep their tall defenders accountable with always having at least 2 tall forwards on the field.

I’d written Schache off after Richmond too. The fact he’s gone back and played well is good though - he hasn’t fallen in a heap and given up, he’s been resilient and gone back to work. Like that. Reward it.
    If Shaq does play, I hope we're smarter than last time and not leave him stranded on their best tall defender like we did with Balta. If Shaq goes to McGovern, we know Bevo is tanking this one.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

It should be the highest priority, surely?
    Our history over the last 3 years would suggest it hasn't been. I guess there is some sort of balance we work with.
    Now if the playing group can accept that some players are automatic selections and others just have to bide their time until the call up then I guess we have to accept that as well.

I think it has the potential to deflate some players when they feel their hard work and effort isn't rewarded or acknowledged so I do feel it should be a high priority for selection.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

If Shaq does play, I hope we're smarter than last time and not leave him stranded on their best tall defender like we did with Balta. If Shaq goes to McGovern, we know Bevo is tanking this one.
    100%. I think for two reasons
    1/ We need him to rotate around Chill/Juice's needs
    2/ If he is struggling forward, giving him a feel of the game a bit

Clearly playing him isn't ideal. We would love a ruck to go with Nic Nat more. Or JUH to be there already. I think Sweet is a worse option but get what fans would prefer it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post

Ideally we have English spending as much of that 70% as logistically possible. If Shache is a liability forward, that'll need to change. Kills us especially against sides with a strong ability to get intercept marks.

14. Likes Go_Dogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    Ideally we have English spending as much of that 70% as logistically possible. If Shache is a liability forward, that'll need to change. Kills us especially against sides with a strong ability to get intercept marks.
    Personally I would prefer English to ruck when NicNat isn't but we don't have anyone to oppose him.

Bevo could just as easily send Caleb into the ruck and have as much chance of winning a hitout.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Personally I would prefer English to ruck when NicNat isn't but we don't have anyone to oppose him.

Bevo could just as easily send Caleb into the ruck and have as much chance of winning a hitout.
    Yeah I guess it isn't just about winning the hitout, it's how you compete to ensure NN doesn't get the easiest run at it. English is a great option around the ground but clearly hitouts are a weakness. Schache and Bruce need to compete as much as possible. With English, Bruce, Schache and hopefully Naughton up forward, I hope we can keep mids/small filling in to a minimum. If Bruce and Schache can't compete in the ruck, we probably have to give some time with a smaller option.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Schache will only come in if Naughton is not ready to go
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

18. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thinking about our ruck options against NicNat is not a pleasant way to spend time.

However, if we genuinely want to disrupt him we need someone who can leap without necessarily matching his bulk.

The only player on our list with the skill set is actually Aaron Naughton.

I know it won't happen and there would be a meltdown from fans, but I would send Naughton to NicNat and let him play on him everywhere he goes. He would make it more difficult than anyone we have and would also make Nic worry about him.

English can ruck when NicNat spells and we can still have Bruce and Schache as tall forwards.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured