Likes Likes:  132
Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee - Round 15 Vs West Coast Eagles 2021

Yep it is WC who should be worried.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Even though some of our losses have been a bit shattering, I genuinely believe we're a better side than we were last time we faced WCE. We're an evolving mix of players and spots have been hard fought for with very high turnover. If we play Richards this week that leaves Hayes, Jamarra, and Bedendo as the only players we haven't played this year and that's completely insane for a side sitting second on the ladder, and says to me we are getting confident in who we can put on the table at any time against anyone.
    I have us a better team when at full strength, but given WC will add Yeo & Shuey to their midfield and we lose Dunkley, Treloar & Martin from ours from our last clash you would think the odds are weighted heavily in WC's favour to get the better of us?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Even though some of our losses have been a bit shattering, I genuinely believe we're a better side than we were last time we faced WCE.
    Last time we had Martin, Dunks and Treloar. And Naughton who I don't think will play Sunday.

I'm just not sure how you can say that. I know there is water under the bridge and form and all sorts but we were like - really (REALLY) good in the last 20 mins of that game and had other periods of total dominance...we also kicked the ball to McGovern a bit so there's that I guess. Then again, a couple of weeks back we kicked it to Lever and last week we kicked it to Stewart.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I have us a better team when at full strength, but given WC will add Yeo & Shuey to their midfield and we lose Dunkley, Treloar & Martin from ours from our last clash you would think the odds are weighted heavily in WC's favour to get the better of us?
    LOL - My post was like, 1 minute later...sorry mate!
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

5. Likes Mantis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not overly fussed about this game. I agree with the above, they are much closer to full strength than we are, and when you're talking about a a game in Perth against a team well-entrenched in the 8, and you're missing 3 players from your top 10 and they're not, you're really on the back foot.

Bevo not bringing Martin, and likely taking a conservative approach with Naughton, suggests that we feel it may be better to keep our powder dry with this one. I wouldn't be surprised if Bont and Libba also play reduced minutes, but we'll see.

The test for our top 4 aspirations starts as of next week. We've got Norf, the Swans at Marvel, the Suns and Adelaide in Ballarat leading into the Melbourne game at the G. We must win those 4 games starting next week, we then enter the Melbourne game with hopefully no additional injuries and likely Dunkley and perhaps Treloar back.

If Martin stays fit we are at full strength for the final three games against Hawthorn, Essendon and Port at Marvel. After this week we should be looking at 7 wins and that's if we lose to Melbourne, which I don't think we will. And remember Melbourne have a horror run home. They have us, Port in Adelaide, WC in Perth and Geelong at Junky stadium.

We are aiming for two finals in Melbourne. Win the first we have a Melbourne Prelim.

Easier said than done I know.

7. Likes The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I meant that more along the lines of how we play rather than personnel, I mean without those two we nearly knocked off what was the form team of the competition at their shitty home ground.

For some reason I'm excited about what we can do this week, but am also fully prepared to be knocked back to reality!
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Listening to Bevo's presser, I think he is pretty honest about selections.

- Seems like no change. Spoke about Schache, Richards and Garcia as 'back ups'. Only in if someone is sore.
    - Stef seems to be having a few different issues with his body, his groin being the latest. If he plays VFL, seems like it'll be reduced as Bevo mentioned him being weeks away.
    - Sweet's problems with Gawn seem pretty present in MC's mind. Trying to focus on our strengths rather than patching up a weakness. I agree that playing Sweet would be unwise this week.
    - Naughts good to go.
    - Playing a taller backline as part of long game approach.

10. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don’t think Stef is around next year. Achilles, shoulder, groin and other issues. Hopefully we can just get 6 games straight from him later in the year. If he’s aware Sweet has a while to go, hopefully that means we are chasing a good ruck hard.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Bevo has fallen back into bad habits with the ruck, using one game as evidence that a player isn't worthy of picking any more.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Bevo has fallen back into bad habits with the ruck, using one game as evidence that a player isn't worthy of picking any more.
    Yeah it's a hard one. I definitely get not going with Stef. Think he is a huge risk of breaking down during a game and in terms of getting him cherry ripe for finals, I would prefer to give him monitored minutes in the VFL.

I hear you re: playing an actual ruck but to be honest I do not see the difference between Sweet and small options vs Nic Nat as huge. I really do not like either option.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    Yeah it's a hard one. I definitely get not going with Stef. Think he is a huge risk of breaking down during a game and in terms of getting him cherry ripe for finals, I would prefer to give him monitored minutes in the VFL.

I hear you re: playing an actual ruck but to be honest I do not see the difference between Sweet and small options vs Nic Nat as huge. I really do not like either option.
    Maybe not this particular game, especially against such a monster in the wet. But last week against Ratugolea and Blicavs?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I don’t think Stef is around next year. Achilles, shoulder, groin and other issues. Hopefully we can just get 6 games straight from him later in the year. If he’s aware Sweet has a while to go, hopefully that means we are chasing a good ruck hard.
    Yep. Having a mature ruck who can play is huge for us. I am with comrade (I think it's him) in really wanting a physical ruck, would compliment English well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Maybe not this particular game, especially against such a monster in the wet. But last week against Ratugolea and Blicavs?
    Yeah, I agree with that. Sweet did struggle vs Stanley though...

Don't get me wrong, I don't disagree with you. I hated having Dunks and co. in the ruck last year and have wanted English forward for ages. I just see the ruck selection this week as understandable.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for posting 3 times in a row. My issue isn't so much the ruck. The biggest reason I would want Sweet in is to have English forward.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    Yeah, I agree with that. Sweet did struggle vs Stanley though...

Don't get me wrong, I don't disagree with you. I hated having Dunks and co. in the ruck last year and have wanted English forward for ages. I just see the ruck selection this week as understandable.
    It's not so much Sweet would dominate in the ruck and give us great looks, it means English can stay forward, it means Bruce isn't taken out of the forward line, Macrae isn't getting bashed the 4 or 5 times he has to take one for the team.

We lost last week at the selection table.