Thanks Thanks:  25
Likes Likes:  132
Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee - Round 15 Vs West Coast Eagles 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Nicnat has a lower TOG than any comporable ruckman. The times a second ruckman will be opposed to NicNat will either be minimal or non-existent.

I would bring in either Martin, or Sweet if he's unavailable. WCE have played two rucks as long as I can remember so it's not just NicNat, (their) Bailey Williams would murder any no 2 option we have that isn't named Tim English and I want us to revert back to our 3-tall forwardline structure.

At this stage I'd have Hannan out Martin in, Crozier (out/inj/rested) and Wood in.
    Then pray like hell Naughton is ok. Play him deep, Bruce to play Naughton's higher/CHFish role.
    Martin, Wood and Sweet didn't make the trip.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Martin, Wood and Sweet didn't make the trip.
    Oh damn.
    Young or Schache - toss a coin. Schache kicked 6 so I guess "selection integrity" comes into play.
    Bruce as second ruck.

English will get killed at taps but can out-work NicNat around the ground.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Oh damn.
    Young or Schache - toss a coin. Schache kicked 6 so I guess "selection integrity" comes into play.
    Bruce as second ruck.

English will get killed at taps but can out-work NicNat around the ground.
    Young didn't go over either.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

4. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We’re really gonna pick Schache again aren’t we.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    He deserves his opportunity.. it would be nice for him to play against a lesser opponent, but he is performing well at the lower level which you need to reward.

7. Likes 1eyedog, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm torn. Like you I am less than convinced he is worth playing.

But also I hate it when we give players a contract and then refuse to play them.

If we think Schache (or Roarke, or Hayes, or Cavarra, or Khamis, or Sweet, or Young, or Hannan, or Jong etc.) is worthy of our spot on our list then when they do everything that is asked of them and perform well in their chosen role at VFL level then they should be picked. The decision as to whether or not they are good enough for us should not be made mid-season, but rather in the off season when we decide if we are going to retain them or not. The asterix on that is that this changes if they demonstrate during the season that they aren't as up to it as we thought/hoped. Schache's game this year was exactly what he has produced in the past, why was that good enough to give him a contract for this year but now is a reason not to give him a game when there is a clear role for him and he is the best performing candidate?

*I know the answer is that he's no good, but if we thought that then he wouldn't be on the list.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    He deserves his opportunity.. it would be nice for him to play against a lesser opponent, but he is performing well at the lower level which you need to reward.
    Maybe. But I don't want to. He's shocking and won't try if he doesn't win one of his first two or three contests, which he won't because he's shocking. This has been going on for three years now I'm so sick of it.

10. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe. But I don't want to. He's shocking and won't try if he doesn't win one of his first two or three contests, which he won't because he's shocking. This has been going on for three years now I'm so sick of it.
    He was so putrid last time he played I put a line through him - and I really rated his talent before that.

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice you can't get fooled again.
    "It's over. It's all over."

12. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't see him as shocking and lacking effort. I think he isn't a typical tall forward, relies on a decent motor and skills. The issue is his confidence. I get the risk, I did not want him to play another game for us after Tigers. But I am with Mantis, we have to reward form in the VFL. Long game I think it's the approach to go with in general.

Schache hasn't just kicked goals in the VFL, he is doing the right things. Against Frankston, he stood up to physical intimidation. He looked a step above on Friday against a strong VFL team. I think he should be in but I won't die on that hill.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    I don't see him as shocking and lacking effort. I think he isn't a typical tall forward, relies on a decent motor and skills. The issue is his confidence. I get the risk, I did not want him to play another game for us after Tigers. But I am with Mantis, we have to reward form in the VFL. Long game I think it's the approach to go with in general.

Schache hasn't just kicked goals in the VFL, he is doing the right things. Against Frankston, he stood up to physical intimidation. He looked a step above on Friday against a strong VFL team. I think he should be in but I won't die on that hill.
    I don't know how you could come to another conclusion to be honest. He gave up against Collingwood in 2019, gave up against Carlton in 2020 and gave up against Richmond earlier this year. He's just not willing to work hard enough to play the role that his physical attributes demand of him.

Post Thanks / Like

If I had to choose between English as primary ruck with Hannan/Bruce as back up versus English as primary ruck with Schache/Bruce as back up, I'm choosing the latter. I hate it, but I hate it less than the former.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

16. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone else think English has been poor since coming back? He wasn’t physical to begin with but seems even less so since the concussion. A bit spooked?

Post Thanks / Like

Josh is on our list and taking a spot. If he doesn't fit now, he never will.
    May as well make this the acid test.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Well we could just leave Hannan in the side I suppose?

I had a lot of time for Schache but this is simply his final opportunity. He's actually lucky he's got one because I didn't see him playing again after the Richmond game, but it looks like he's been given a final chance. Five years in the system, 200cm tall, massive aerobic capacity, 55 games in, he needs to make a contribution.

Fail to perform and he'll be lost to us forever.

Post Thanks / Like

I’d play Schache if he’s in form. He’s in form so play him. Mids need to kick to him. He’ll kick goals.