Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  35
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 'It became blurry after '16 flag': Bevo's advice for holding the ball rule

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    I saying all this the Bont gets pinged a lot without prior opportunity.
    I reckon he gets a raw deal sometimes, but other times he bites off more than he can chew.

However, I wish the Selwood rule applied to him. That guy just gets to throw the footy, hang onto it, drop it or whatever.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I reckon he gets a raw deal sometimes, but other times he bites off more than he can chew.

However, I wish the Selwood rule applied to him. That guy just gets to throw the footy, hang onto it, drop it or whatever.
    He’d have to get caught as much as Selwood for that to happen.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t remember the interpretation before prior op. Thought it was always there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    I don’t remember the interpretation before prior op. Thought it was always there.
    Changed in 1996.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

5. Thanks bulldogsthru&thru thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Changed in 1996.
    Ok thanks that makes sense then. I wouldn’t have really been old enough at that point to understand such intricacies. Does give me food for thought though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    On the topic, has anyone noticed our new handball tactic this season? The football equivalent of the basketball bounce pass? I love it.
    Is that the handball that runs along the ground that bounces up to the teammate who is already running in anticipation? Bazlenka was the first one I saw do it and I remember thinking " I hope that we have been practicing that because it's virtually unstoppable and other teams aren't going to have time to catch up to it before the end of the season"

Sure it's not going to work every time and we will look a bit silly but it could win us a flag.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Is that the handball that runs along the ground that bounces up to the teammate who is already running in anticipation? Bazlenka was the first one I saw do it and I remember thinking " I hope that we have been practicing that because it's virtually unstoppable and other teams aren't going to have time to catch up to it before the end of the season"

Sure it's not going to work every time and we will look a bit silly but it could win us a flag.
    Yeah it’s basically hand balling into the ground that then bounces up to the receiving player. We’ve used it in close where the opposition is trying to cut off the short handball at a typical handball height. So instead of a looping high handball to avoid the defender, we’re handballing into the ground instead. It’s more efficient and doesn’t result in the receiver having to wait.

Post Thanks / Like

I reckon Hunter has been doing it for a while.

10. Likes Boots liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Having watched the game from ground level at Mars the looped handball is extremely prevalent within our repertoire, with the under the defender's arm a nice little bonus.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Underground handballing? We definitely didn’t invent that.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Underground handballing? We definitely didn’t invent that.
    maybe not, but I am fairly certain that Robert Groenewegen invented Wifi and pretty sure Danny DelRe invented the spork...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post

If you took away prior opportunity the decision process is:

1) was the player tackled
    2) was the ball released
    3) If yes was the ball released legally (handball/kick) - if yes play on,; if no free kick
    4) If no to ball release - then its a question of was ball pinned - if yes ball up; if no free kick

The umpire is adjudicating on actual actions rather than intent or perception.
    I don't completely disagree, but "prior opportunity" is not a 'VIRTUAL' thing. It is actually defined in the rules:

Prior Opportunity: a designation to a Player in Possession of the Football who:
    (a) is balanced and steady; or
    (b) attempts to evade or fend an opponent; or
    (c) has taken a Mark or been awarded a Free Kick; or
    (d) has driven their head into a stationary or near stationary opponent.

Basically if you grab the ball and run (the umpires OPENLY admit 3-steps is the gauge they are told to use), change direction or fend off, have actually taken a mark or free kick OR ducked then you are G-O-N-E.

The umpires simply don't apply the rules.

I agree with Fredi's comments in the main but prior opportunity is not a hard concept to get your head around - just remember that when the commentators crap on about whether a player did or didn't have 'prior' they don't actually know the rule and therefore have absolutely no idea whether the definition of prior opportunity applies.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

15. Thanks hujsh, Go_Dogs thanked for this post
    Likes Axe Man liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    just remember that when the commentators crap on about whether a player did or didn't have 'prior' they don't actually know the rule and therefore have absolutely no idea whether the definition of prior opportunity applies.
    This is way, way too common. Far too rare to hear commentators who are around the rules. The lack of professionalism in footy media is astounding.

17. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    This is way, way too common. Far too rare to hear commentators who are around the rules. The lack of professionalism in footy media is astounding.
    I dunno BT seems pretty across them...

19. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No prior, no problems: Dimma's simple fix for holding-the-ball debate

RICHMOND coach Damien Hardwick has called for the AFL to scrap prior opportunity as a way to remove the confusion regarding holding-the-ball.

The rule and its application have come under scrutiny since St Kilda coach Brett Ratten lamented his side earning just three free kicks from 86 tackles against Geelong on Friday night.

Hardwick said it was up the AFL to make life easier for umpires.

"Prior opportunity just makes the umpires' job harder," he said on Wednesday.

"Put the pressure on the players, the players adjust really quickly.

"We've seen how quickly they've adjusted to the man on the mark rule.

"If we put the rule in place that the players have to get rid of it, they'll start tapping it, they'll start kicking."

Hardwick referenced Essendon great and former teammate Michael Long as a great exponent of keeping the ball alive.

"The amount of handballs we see now – if we go back in the course of time and look at history, the players used to kick it. Now, under pressure, they will handball," the three-time premiership coach said.

"If we take away prior opportunity, [it] probably reduces congestion around that.

"Back in the old days you knew you were going to get tackled and knock it on.

"You tap the ball to your advantage, you kick it off the ground, or you kick it long.

"The really smart players will become smarter."
    Chris Fagan, whose Brisbane Lions the Tigers will face at the Gabba on Friday night, had similar thoughts.

Fagan said players who did not handball or kick the ball after they were tackled should be immediately penalised.

"Sometimes the tackler knocks the ball out and that's the thing the umpire has to assess but if that's not the case I think that's the simplest way to look at it," Fagan told 3AW.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.