Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  35
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 'It became blurry after '16 flag': Bevo's advice for holding the ball rule

I'm sure all of these coaches are completely altruistic when commenting on rule changes yeah?

2. Likes Bulldog4life, hujsh, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I'm sure all of these coaches are completely altruistic when commenting on rule changes yeah?
    Of course

A few posters led by Sedat have taken the view on getting rid of Prior Opportunity many years ago. Finally it is being discussed.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

A handball heavy team like ours would surely be killed by such a rule.

In fact wouldn't the new best form of ball movement become slow methodical movement by kicking the ball?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Of course

A few posters led by Sedat have taken the view on getting rid of Prior Opportunity many years ago. Finally it is being discussed.
    I've never heard Sedat mention it...........
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    A handball heavy team like ours would surely be killed by such a rule.

In fact wouldn't the new best form of ball movement become slow methodical movement by kicking the ball?
    Yes, and further encouragement to sit numbers behind the ball.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah getting rid of prior opportunity would remove the HTB issue but would also totally disincentivise being first to the ball.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to even guess a different interpretation of HTB this week, such is the level of amateurish organisation from the AFEL.

By the way, what ever happened to the different interpretation of HTB that was implemented half-way through last year? It just suddenly vanished towards the end of the season. It was essentially no prior opportunity wasn't it? It didn't at all help the spectacle either. Like HD said it simply disincentivised players to go first for the ball and led to massive swarms to tackle first and get the free kick.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Yeah getting rid of prior opportunity would remove the HTB issue but would also totally disincentivise being first to the ball.
    It's tricky because tackling technique and standards have increased fifty fold since 1996, so players will be getting pinged left right and centre.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    It's tricky because tackling technique and standards have increased fifty fold since 1996, so players will be getting pinged left right and centre.
    Is it honestly an issue? Like I know the coaches like to complain about the rules as a dog whistley way to complain about the umpiring when things don’t go their way, but is it really detracting from the game? Stoppages kinda are the game.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Is it honestly an issue? Like I know the coaches like to complain about the rules as a dog whistley way to complain about the umpiring when things don’t go their way, but is it really detracting from the game? Stoppages kinda are the game.
    the fewer stoppages, the less the congestion.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Will it force players not to take possession? They'll just knock it on, move it forward by foot without taking possession, scrap dump kicks etc.

You'd think modern defences would lap it up. It would totally kill our game style I reckon.

Post Thanks / Like

Will it force players not to take possession? They'll just knock it on, move it forward by foot without taking possession, scrap dump kicks etc.

You'd think modern defences would lap it up. It would totally kill our game style I reckon.
    Players will never not try and get possession.

Getting rid of prior opportunity doesn't stop the umpire allowing opportunity for the player to get rid of it. It is already a rule.

What I don't like is players grabbing the ball, knowing they will be tackled and they just hold it against their chest while the tackler wraps their arm around them. This is coached so a stoppage is created. The player should either grab the ball and use their pace to get away, or dish off a quick handball, or just knock it on to another player free.

Post Thanks / Like

It depends what you want from the game. There's a very powerful set of folks who won't be happy until muddy footballs are helicopter punted end to end between teams, and they seem to be dominating feedback on the state of the game and influencing rule changes.

You can't trust the coaches because they're self-interested. I mean a guy like Hardwick built a system on pressure, forcing errant disposal to defenders and surging forward off the turnover. Of course he wants players slamming the ball onto the boot, just like we did in Q3 in our game against them this year.

My preference is for the game to evolve strategically and tactically without much intervention through adaptation/ changes in rules. I'd like to see open and scoring play incentivised but that won't happen because it's the farthest thing from the minds of folks at HQ and thus the most likely to work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Players will never not try and get possession.

Getting rid of prior opportunity doesn't stop the umpire allowing opportunity for the player to get rid of it. It is already a rule.

What I don't like is players grabbing the ball, knowing they will be tackled and they just hold it against their chest while the tackler wraps their arm around them. This is coached so a stoppage is created. The player should either grab the ball and use their pace to get away, or dish off a quick handball, or just knock it on to another player free.
    BAD have you not seen what happens sometimes when players happen to be on the ground and the ball comes to them?

Post Thanks / Like

BAD have you not seen what happens sometimes when players happen to be on the ground and the ball comes to them?
    Very Rugby Union they just push it out in front of them.