Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Do the Saints play "LIKE" the Tigers (and if so, what happens this week)??

I have seen and heard a bit of commentary over the last 12-months or so about the way the Saints/coaches have modelled their recruiting and game-style on the Tigers.

- Repeat sprint enough runners on the flanks/wings (Billings et al compared with the Lambert gang).
    - Consistent mids who have a defend first mentality (Ross and team, Cotchin etc)
    - Key backs who play position over opposition (Howard is the 'Rance' of the Saints).
    - Forward structure built around 2x keys - one for the 'lead' (King/Lynch) and one for the contest (Membrey/Jack).

The question I have is:

- Does anyone believe in this commentary?
    - If they do, does it mean we are in TROUBLE? Or are we 'all good' having learned a great lesson a couple of weeks back.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Do the Saints play "LIKE" the Tigers (and if so, what happens this week)??

Not sure. I am sure they aren’t as good as Richmond so even if they try to replicate the Tigers, they aren’t as good

The Saints always worry us and it’s always been their strengths are stronger than our weaknesses. If our mids can continue to perform we’ll be fine and our forward line, which is functioning as well as ever, will get it done.

Post Thanks / Like

They have attempted to play a similar style, albeit less effectively and with less consistency.

The pressure was right up against Geelong so we do need to recognise we won't have the kind of time and space some teams allow us.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

I looked at the stats to see where Saints are strong, and the only area is they are good at stoppage clearances, but still ranked below us.

This year we are leading or no worse than 3rd, all the key stats - Cont Poss, Clearances, Marks inside 50, Scoring, I50, Cont Marks etc, whereas Saints are in bottom 8 in all those areas other than stoppages (4th to our 3rd). As far as Tackles go, they are about the same as us - we average 50 they average 48, but that was upped last week against Geelong to 87

Last year the Saints were ahead of us in all the key stats.

As for playing like the Tigers, I can't see they do. At one stage they were moving the ball very slowly, but the last few weeks they changed their game plan and have been trying to move quicker.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

The main thing the saints had over us last year is..
    1) dominance of Ryder/Marshall
    2) hungrier in the contest and around the ball.

They have been known to come out and Hunt our players. They have done well in shutting players down, while allowing their lesser likes (remember that Geary effort last year), tearing us a new one. I can see what MJP is saying. When they pressure well, they look a lot like Richmond, and I believe they set up fwd very similar, but I think their backline is very suspect and doesn’t seem as cohesive as the Richmond backs.

I guess we shall see more come Saturday night.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Not worried about Saints.

More worried about complacency and a letdown after a big away win.

Saints are fast in the front half - but if we think through and don’t panic, buy time and hit targets by foot we will be ok. Our front half is far too good for their backline and our midfield a MILE AHEAD.

Post Thanks / Like

The conversations around Max King mid-week are scarily similar to the conversations around Lynch from Richmond … just days before he ripped us a new one.

This game scares me.

We should win and win comfortably. But …
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Geez that club has just had a mare in the news. Not sure how they keep this one out of their heads as an entire club leading into this weekend's game. Sheez. I feel for the players.

Anyway, they can trouble us as much as any other side. Need to maintain the rage in the middle.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty worried about this game. The Saints legit always beat us, and have exhibited both the pace that has troubled us historically and the manic pressure (for one game anyway) that troubled us this year at points this season. They're a better side than what they've shown this year and they probably beat Geelong last week if they kick straight or even if Marshall didn't get hurt.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I'm pretty worried about this game. The Saints legit always beat us, and have exhibited both the pace that has troubled us historically and the manic pressure (for one game anyway) that troubled us this year at points this season. They're a better side than what they've shown this year and they probably beat Geelong last week if they kick straight or even if Marshall didn't get hurt.
    I'm sure the saints set themselves for us each season. When the fixture comes out they all get together and make sure they are fit and healthy and switched on mentally so they can take it right up to us. Especially if we are hot favourites to win!
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    I'm sure the saints set themselves for us each season. When the fixture comes out they all get together and make sure they are fit and healthy and switched on mentally so they can take it right up to us. Especially if we are hot favourites to win!
    I saw the Saints were $3 + outsiders...

I swear I watched them beat us in a final and that was only 10-games ago. And yep, I know Marshall is injured...but they have also added Brad Crouch and Jack Higgins.

I'm obviously grossly over-estimating the 'Aints and under-estimating us.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

They’ve had the wood over us for a very long time.

This has all the hallmarks of them kicking the first 3 goals and the whole match being a struggle. Kind of like the Blues match but I wouldn’t want to rely on a last qtr like the one we had!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

I swear I watched them beat us in a final and that was only 10-games ago. And yep, I know Marshall is injured...but they have also added Brad Crouch and Jack Higgins.

It's a big game for us in terms of beating a team that we have struggled against in recent times and if I was a Saints supporter those odds would look tempting.
    It might one of those sitting on the edge of the seats games for us supporters.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

And have lost Jones and Hannebury who both had a big influence in the final. Plus they're without their most dynamic mid in Gresham.

If English was playing I would be supremely confident as it helps nullify their advantage in the air, but he's not so it's going to be tight. They set themselves for the Dogs each year, bit of a H&A grand final for them.

We really need to be defensively switched on across the ground and do whatever it takes to ensure they don't have the handball option running past. They kept the ball in constant motion against us in the final, whenever they took a big contested mark (which was all the time!) they'd have a runner zipping past for the receive and we just got cut up by it.

I'll just be happy with a win, even if it's a close, messy scrap.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    If English was playing I would be supremely confident as it helps nullify their advantage in the air, but he's not so it's going to be tight. They set themselves for the Dogs each year, bit of a H&A grand final for them.

We really need to be defensively switched on across the ground and do whatever it takes to ensure they don't have the handball option running past. They kept the ball in constant motion against us in the final, whenever they took a big contested mark (which was all the time!) they'd have a runner zipping past for the receive and we just got cut up by it.

I'll just be happy with a win, even if it's a close, messy scrap.

I don't think they have an advantage in the air. Contested Marks we sit 2nd and they are 13th, Marks inside 50, we are 1st and they are 11th
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.