Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  34
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Leading Goalkickers...and a QUESTION.

Will be interesting to watch the Naughton v King comparison this week.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I fully agree but for shites and giggles what if a Naughton could stop an opposition forward from turning a game? Does it come down to who is the more dangerous forward? Would you throw Naughton back if Tom MacDonald had 6 by half time in a final and we'd already gone through Keath / Cordy / Young / Gardner?
    The issue would be a midfield problem if any forward does that to us. We need to control the middle and get it forward for Naughton to do his stuff.

If we decide we need to stop the opposition scoring we will be losing the midfield battle, as we did against Richmond in the critical 3rd quarter.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

3. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    The issue would be a midfield problem if any forward does that to us. We need to control the middle and get it forward for Naughton to do his stuff.

If we decide we need to stop the opposition scoring we will be losing the midfield battle, as we did against Richmond in the critical 3rd quarter.
    That was the time to maybe drop Naughton back for 5 minutes, gain possession and control it for 5 minutes to slow the game down. The pace was hectic and we just couldn't slow it down. We did a much better job of this last week (although not perfect), mostly in the last quarter.

Post Thanks / Like

I fully agree but for shites and giggles what if a Naughton could stop an opposition forward from turning a game? Does it come down to who is the more dangerous forward? Would you throw Naughton back if Tom MacDonald had 6 by half time in a final and we'd already gone through Keath / Cordy / Young / Gardner?
    That would be an issue in the midfield not stopping the ball being fed to MacDonald.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

So I agree with the point of the OP. Am firmly in the 'keep Naughton forward camp'. He's just getting better and better as a forward. Seems to be also recognising the moments in games where he has to get all the way into the back half to help us move the ball when we've been stuck in the back half too long.

As I said in another thread - Bruce is on track to kick 66 goals and Naughton 53......they'll likely slow down and/or miss the odd game - but either way - its the contribution from tall forwards we've been looking for.

Jamarra is waiting in the wings and a huge prospect to be this gun key forward in future.

Only thing I didn't agree/understand from the OP was the comment about how if we left Chris Grant forward we may have broken through for a premiership. Grant did play forward in all of the prelim years. He was CHB in 96, and then played forward 97 onwards.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    So I agree with the point of the OP. Am firmly in the 'keep Naughton forward camp'. He's just getting better and better as a forward. Seems to be also recognising the moments in games where he has to get all the way into the back half to help us move the ball when we've been stuck in the back half too long.

As I said in another thread - Bruce is on track to kick 66 goals and Naughton 53......they'll likely slow down and/or miss the odd game - but either way - its the contribution from tall forwards we've been looking for.

Jamarra is waiting in the wings and a huge prospect to be this gun key forward in future.

Only thing I didn't agree/understand from the OP was the comment about how if we left Chris Grant forward we may have broken through for a premiership. Grant did play forward in all of the prelim years. He was CHB in 96, and then played forward 97 onwards.
    Yep, strange comment as he was most definitely our CHF from 1997 onwards and only went back when Rhode started (Grant did his knee in his first outing at CHB whilst BOG).. however if Grant played the last 10min of the '97 PF at CHB instead of freezing at the other end of the ground we most probably play the following week.

Post Thanks / Like

We all love the Bont, but I haven’t been as excited watching someone like I am with Naughton in a very long time.

Best stretch of forward footy in his career to date, footy gods keep him healthy and he will be amazing for us.

We seem to be after a big to play on the gorillas, which at 1.95 Naughts isn’t anyway.

Watched a bit of first crack last Sunday and David King was pushing for us to play Bruce back. The guy second in the Coleman finally finding a cohesive forward partnership....
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

9. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    We all love the Bont, but I haven’t been as excited watching someone like I am with Naughton in a very long time.

Best stretch of forward footy in his career to date, footy gods keep him healthy and he will be amazing for us.

We seem to be after a big to play on the gorillas, which at 1.95 Naughts isn’t anyway.

Watched a bit of first crack last Sunday and David King was pushing for us to play Bruce back. The guy second in the Coleman finally finding a cohesive forward partnership....
    I saw that too. Ridiculous.

Post Thanks / Like

The calls for Naughton down back are crazy in my opinion.

Not only is he vitally important in the F50 he also provides a crucial get out of jail card for the down the line kick from D50 which we struggle for without him.

He makes going to the footy fun.

12. Likes Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post

If he doesn't keep kneeing our own blokes in their noggins....'
    I don't applaud marks when one of our own good players is out for multiple weeks, and has to deal with concussion for long periods.
    Accidents happen but it's also part of marking craft.

I dunno. Maybe not much can be done. I hope so.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    That would be an issue in the midfield not stopping the ball being fed to MacDonald.
    Actually no that might not be the case at all. One in a million scenarios might simply be that he's having a day out and that every second time they go in there, he's clunking them and scoring. It's entirely possible that we have similar inside 50 numbers and the game is equally poised with the exception of MacDonald up forward.

So take out the midfield dominance aspect of it. Do you leave Naughton deep forward with no score at half time with MacDonald on 6 goals in the Prelim, or do you move Naughton back onto him? If you back Naughton in up forward then fair enough, you ascribe to the 'he can win a match off his own boot' script, but if you are worried he won't hit the scoreboard in the second half, and you're concerned about Tom MacDonald winning the game up the other end, how much of you wants to send Naughton back in the third?

If you answer you'd send him back then you're not entirely in the leave Naughton forward club.

15. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I dunno I'm all for Naughts forward as well even if he doesn't mark it he destroys packs and his ground game is frenetic. Probably got to do with our issue at CHB. I guess some people view saving goals as important as kicking them and if we're in a position to play English and Bruce forward then Naughton is a viable CHB option.
    This is my feeling. I’m not afraid to put my hand up and say I’m one for Naughton in defence, BUT if he was a more reliable kick, then my attitude on this would change. If JUH kicks off like we hope he will, then a fwd line of Naughton, Bruce, English and JUH would surely be too top heavy...A grade sure, but too top heavy.

Our defence. If Keath went down long term we are literally screwed. I certainly don’t want Young, Cordy and Gardner all down there. It’s also probably coz out of those 4, I only rate Keath. I always felt Naughton would’ve been a all Australian CHB with his contested marking ability.

I hope I’m proven wrong, and Naughton fwd takes us to multiple premierships, but I still see our defence without Keath as a car with three wheels. Let’s hope Keath NEVER gets injured.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    I saw that too. Ridiculous.
    Has wildly exceeded my expectations of him. If it's working keep going! I Think it was MJP who compared him to a labrador in the 50 last year, very funny I thought and accurate at the time.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't Grant go back about the time he had the yips.

I'm happy with Astro forward but I wouldn't be against the break glass if things go a bit South just to try and get things back our way.
    Isn't it just a case of kick a bigger score then the other mob.
    I wouldn't worry when Jamarra comes in about being top heavy Bevo will play him in defense.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    Didn't Grant go back about the time he had the yips.

I'm happy with Astro forward but I wouldn't be against the break glass if things go a bit South just to try and get things back our way.
    Isn't it just a case of kick a bigger score then the other mob.
    I wouldn't worry when Jamarra comes in about being top heavy Bevo will play him in defense.
    I wouldn’t put it past him to do that.
    I will never see #16 the same!!