Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  24
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd lost belief: How VFL stint helped flag Dog find his bark

https://www.afl.com.au/news/616612/i...-find-his-bark

WHEN Jason Johannisen was left out of the Western Bulldogs' AAMI Community Series pre-season game, and then again for their round one blockbuster with Collingwood, a sense of surprise echoed around the competition. But not for Johannisen himself.
    The 2016 premiership star and Norm Smith medallist had known his form was awry and had sensed in the build-up to this season his place was in jeopardy. By the time the team was picked, the 28-year-old had come to terms with having to win back his spot.
    "Last year and probably a bit at the start of this year I'd lost that belief and confidence in my ability and whether I was playing to the ability I knew I could," he told AFL.com.au.

"'Bevo' (coach Luke Beveridge) has always been so supportive and always backed me in but we got to a point there where it was the right time to go back to the VFL and have that circuit breaker. It was about going back and doing what I do best and use my strengths.

"There was definitely a bit of fresh air going back to the VFL and I wasn't putting that pressure on myself to perform."

Johannisen watched on as the Bulldogs beat the Magpies, and the next week was the unused medical substitute for his side. By round three, he had edged his way back into the in-form Dogs' line-up.

"I accepted it pretty quick. In this industry everything moves so fast I kept a positive outlook because if you dwell and think negatively it can just keep rolling and you probably won't find your form. I just accepted it as quickly as possible and looked at the positives of getting back to playing some good footy and was well supported by the coaches and all my teammates," he said.

"I feel like I'm back to playing some good footy and having an influence in a new role."

Behind the scenes, Johannisen was working on transforming himself as a new player when he returned. On the eve of this season, Beveridge spoke to the flying half-back about a change of position, saying there would be opportunities as a speedy medium forward who finished his work around goal and applied pressure.

With the club's group of half-backs impressing – Bailey Dale, Caleb Daniel and Bailey Williams have all been huge – the Dogs spotted a way to use Johannisen in attack.
    "They've always been really big on having speed in the front half and obviously our defenders are playing really well," he said. "It hasn't been a lot of time preparing for the role but I do think I'm growing in confidence and belief in that position."

Johannisen's best game since his return came on Saturday night, when he kicked two goals from 12 disposals in the Dogs' tough win over Port Adelaide. Coach Luke Beveridge said Johannisen had to adjust his approach.
    "It's difficult for those small to medium forward role players as far as the statistical game goes. People say the key forwards have got the most challenging position on the ground but at least we kick it to the key forwards," Beveridge said.
    "The small to mediums have got to crumb, get out in space, put pressure on and are really sensitive to what their teammates are doing up the ground. We've been rapt with how hard he's worked. He's using his speed, the pressure he's put on for us, without accumulating a lot of the Sherrin and then against Port Adelaide we thought he had a pretty complete small-to-medium game.
    "That's going to fluctuate week to week, we've seen that with all the teams and as long as they're doing their best, especially defensively the guys who are playing there, it really helps us."
    Johannisen, who played his 150th game in round eight, was one of seven members of the Dogs' 2016 premiership side to face the Power last week, with his line-breaking run and carry out of defence a key facet of their rise to the breakthrough flag. The club, which sits second on the ladder this season after an 8-1 start to the year, hasn't won a final since then, having lost back-to-back elimination finals, including last year's defeat to Saturday night's opponent St Kilda.
    "It's definitely felt like it's been a while and it's definitely in the past. This football club has always been about the now and in the present. I probably won't reflect on that year until I'm retired and outside the game," he said.

"It's all about how we can win the next one and as a team how we can keep improving to be the best again."

Johannisen's performance in the Grand Final will live on in Bulldogs' minds forever, and the fans regularly want to discuss the magical premiership run. But Johannisen has his eye on the next one, and in a new part of the ground.
    "You do find here and there people do thank you for your efforts in 2016 because it was such a long time and such a long drought since we'd won one as a football club so there was that appreciation there from the supporters which is nice. Hopefully we're not far away from another one and we can put more smiles on our supporters' faces," he said.

2. Thanks Grantysghost, bornadog, Go_Dogs thanked for this post
    Likes WBFC4FFC, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: I'd lost belief: How VFL stint helped flag Dog find his bark

What a timely article.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

It seems like he's settled into his role. Last week he was really important and tonight he was running and tackling. He doesn't have to score if he's doing the non-negotiables like them.

Post Thanks / Like

The not tackling version of a month ago, didn’t deserve a game. The pressure tackling version in the last two weeks shouldn’t be dropped.

It’s clear he’s good enough to do the role. If he brings it, he locks in the spot over Scott or McNeil out when our injury list gets better. It’s up to him to keep delivering like he has been very recently.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

6. Likes Testekill, Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He was outstanding tonight
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

8. Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

His best game in four years tonight.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

I had lost faith in JJ and it's good to see has moved a little bit closer to restoring some of that faith.
    Dale is doing better in JJ's old spot than the after 2016 version of JJ so he needs to reinvent himself in a new role.
    Tackling pressure in the forward half is a necessity in the modern game so it will be a great asset for the team if JJ can nail this role.
    When you look back over his career I don't think tackling was ever one of his strong suits so its pleasing to see this improving.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

11. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ve said before, JJ has gone up a notch since Weightman coming in. I think Weightmans enthusiasm has heightened what JJ needs to do, and they have worked extremely well together.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

13. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    I’ve said before, JJ has gone up a notch since Weightman coming in. I think Weightmans enthusiasm has heightened what JJ needs to do, and they have worked extremely well together.
    Don't forget JJ had to learn the new role, but like everyone else I had my doubts he was playing the right position.

I hope he continues the way he played last night. That run down the middle of the ground that ended up with the tackle was brilliant.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

15. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Don't forget JJ had to learn the new role, but like everyone else I had my doubts he was playing the right position.

I hope he continues the way he played last night. That run down the middle of the ground that ended up with the tackle was brilliant.
    Agree, he just looks rejuvenated, and has that spark back. Looks to be enjoying his role, and yes, that rundown was like a man possessed and wanting to succeed in this new role. Would love to see him take Salem to the cleaners next week.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

17. Likes Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

JJ is flying after a few good weeks. His speed is so important - we don’t have anyone who can chase down and close the space like JJ does. His ability to kick goals on the run is helpful too.

If he can get some more easy ball out the back running to the goal square and/or crumb a few goals he becomes a very well rounded small to medium forward that ticks the boxes we’ve been crying out for.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    JJ is flying after a few good weeks. His speed is so important - we don’t have anyone who can chase down and close the space like JJ does. His ability to kick goals on the run is helpful too.

If he can get some more easy ball out the back running to the goal square and/or crumb a few goals he becomes a very well rounded small to medium forward that ticks the boxes we’ve been crying out for.
    Vandermeer also showed some glimpses similar to what JJ is showing
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

20. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Going to need to see the past fortnight repeated in a few different contexts to fully regain my trust, but JJ appears to have settled into a new role and patched up whatever had him in knots as a footballer. Playing to his strengths again and with some confidence, he looked a million bucks applying pressure and wheeling about in the forward half.

22. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Vandermeer also showed some glimpses similar to what JJ is showing
    I like Vanders in a contest more than JJ but those undisciplined acts probably gives JJ the edge at the moment. Disposal and goal kicking from JJ has been better too (disposal being a knock on his game in defense funnily enough)

24. Likes Testekill, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's to positive thinking JJ. Well done. That 40 meter run-down tackle was sweet.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus