Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  24
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: I'd lost belief: How VFL stint helped flag Dog find his bark

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Hard to tell from TV but Salem has been huge for Melbourne all year and had no impact against us. If that was due to JJ then I think he performed his role.
    This was my thought om it.

Pity we can't get some knowledgeable person in the commentary team to explain things you don't see on the coverage.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    This was my thought om it.

Pity we can't get some knowledgeable person in the commentary team to explain things you don't see on the coverage.
    The stats make for strange reading. You would think we performed much better by looking at the teams numbers - ahead in inside 50s, disposals, clearances, marks, tackles etc. Important Melbourne ball movers were well down on output: Salem didn't influence and Langdon and Hunt's numbers were well down. Pickett did nothing of note, Jackson was quiet.

Yet we never really got within 3 goals after the first 20 mins. Weird game.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

The stats make for strange reading. You would think we performed much better by looking at the teams numbers - ahead in inside 50s, disposals, clearances, marks, tackles etc. Important Melbourne ball movers were well down on output: Salem didn't influence and Langdon and Hunt's numbers were well down. Pickett did nothing of note, Jackson was quiet.

Efficiency inside fifty, scoring accuracy and contested marks differential all stand out, and if I knew where to find the scores from turnovers stats I'd be surprised if they didn't as well.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

We got a lot of stats by constantly trying to switch the ball as Melbourne did such a good job of defending the ground.
    We did get clearances around the ground but not many clean ones.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Efficiency inside fifty, scoring accuracy and contested marks differential all stand out, and if I knew where to find the scores from turnovers stats I'd be surprised if they didn't as well.
    Over 10 goals IIRC. A huge spike compared to other games.

Post Thanks / Like

They actually had ten more clangers than us though.......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    That seems like a few.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, Melbourne just didn't cough up the ball in the same way we did, just handed them clean scoring opportunities where as they made us hustle for everything going forward.

Slow and methodical is not our blueprint at all and they forced us into that, kudos to their coaching and adherence. We need pace in our ball movement and the early turnovers made us gun shy I think.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, Melbourne just didn't cough up the ball in the same way we did, just handed them clean scoring opportunities where as they made us hustle for everything going forward.

Slow and methodical is not our blueprint at all and they forced us into that, kudos to their coaching and adherence. We need pace in our ball movement and the early turnovers made us gun shy I think.
    Yeah I don't think going slow against them is really viable now that their midfield/ stoppage prowess is evident in addition to their clearly excellent intercept marking capability.

Whoever wants to be successful against them needs to bring the pressure game and move quickly once in possession to stop them from setting up.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep - they denied us the corridor at all costs and forced us to play into their waiting hands. Their performance deserves to be commended as much as ours does derided.

I wish that our risk appetite for switching was equalled with balls into the corridor when it became clear we were getting heated either way, but let's not pretend we weren't forced into it.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I don't think going slow against them is really viable now that their midfield/ stoppage prowess is evident in addition to their clearly excellent intercept marking capability.

Whoever wants to be successful against them needs to bring the pressure game and move quickly once in possession to stop them from setting up.
    We won the clearances and stoppages but didn't use the ball well.

I watched a couple of replays yesterday of a few quarters from different games, and I hardly saw any of this switching play from one side of the ground to the other, and if we did switch, we had long kicks down the line.

We have to get back to fast ball movement from the backline. I miss JJ down there, running through the corridor, taking bounces and hitting up someone in the forward half.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I'm pretty sure I also heard we had more scored against us from turnovers in the first quarter than we have had in any other entire game this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I'm pretty sure I also heard we had more scored against us from turnovers in the first quarter than we have had in any other entire game this year.
    Yep. We had 6 goals against from turnovers up to half time I think it was.
    We've been very good at limiting scores from turnover this year.

Post Thanks / Like

The silver lining is that it's round 11, not round 21 so Bevo and the squad have time to devise a plan. We know what Melbourne will throw at us, they're predictable (and bloody good). We also have a second crack at them to see if our new plan stacks up prior to finals. Another 5+ goal loss would be very concerning but until then, we need to keep banking wins as starting with Freo.

15. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Yep - they denied us the corridor at all costs and forced us to play into their waiting hands. Their performance deserves to be commended as much as ours does derided.

I wish that our risk appetite for switching was equalled with balls into the corridor when it became clear we were getting heated either way, but let's not pretend we weren't forced into it.
    I do find it interesting we didn't bring Naughton/English into the centre when that started happening (when we had the ball in the back half).
    May was clearly going to let Naughton run up to accept the mark as soon as he was out of scoring position so we just had to use him as a link man a bit more. English should be outmarking any third defender in the competition 9 times out of 10.

I suspect we learn a lot from that game.