Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Young player development - how do we compare with other clubs?

Bornadog's good thread about talls http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthr...8421#post28421
    got me thinking about how we develop our young players generally.

My best guess is that we haven't been real good at this, and part of it was a tenuous relationship with the Bees and part of it was the couple of Rohde years.

I suspect that sides like the Eagles, Crows and Port seem to develop their younger players better than we do. I'm even beginning to wonder whether players Cooney would have been a better player at one of these clubs.

Thoughts?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Young player development - how do we compare with other clubs?

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Bornadog's good thread about talls http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthr...8421#post28421
    got me thinking about how we develop our young players generally.

My best guess is that we haven't been real good at this, and part of it was a tenuous relationship with the Bees and part of it was the couple of Rohde years.

I suspect that sides like the Eagles, Crows and Port seem to develop their younger players better than we do. I'm even beginning to wonder whether players Cooney would have been a better player at one of these clubs.

Thoughts?
    I'm not sure it's a hell of a lot better at those clubs.

Certainly Port had some issues with West Adelaide over Ryan Willitts being played out of position but they did have one option not open to Victorian sides - they got him cleared to another SANFL club.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Port do a great job developing young players.

I really admire Williams the way he can develop Port to be a finalist, seemingly with a very young team. After the Grand Final year, he did a clean up of players, and immdeaiatelty started thinking about the next GFinal.

Collingwood blooded a lot of players last year and were really only a kick away from beating the Premiers to the GF.

Not sure where we go wrong? Is it the Footy department and the assistants we employ, or the coach?

Post Thanks / Like

Its an interesting topic.

We know that Terry Wallace didnt do much with developing young players outside of Nathan Brown.

I was hopeful when Eade came that we would change direction, and is some respects he has.

In the last few years, our first round selections have played seniors the next year. (Except Tim Walsh). I expect that performance from most Top 15 picks, but its the lower picks, the 3rd & 4th rounders I would like to see also come good. We have had some good success with the rookie list, but I feel thats more due to the character of the players on the rookie list that have been promoted.

I have been frustrated with our midget forward line over the past few years. Personally I would have liked to see some kid given a chance in the forward line. I know Tiller was given a go late in the year, but we had gone with this undersized forward line for 3-4 seasons.

The question is why didnt they give some of the larger kids a go?
    Was it because the coaching staff didnt think they were ready?

If they were 'project' players they may not have been ready, but that leads me to another point.

Some teams draft players who can play right from the get go, whereas we have a number on the list that can be classed as 'project' players.

I think with the list numbers as tight as they are, 'project' players are a luxury we cant afford.

If you look at Collingwood, Port & Hawthorn you could say that they have fast tracked a lot of kids into their senior team, whereas we have seemed to 'slowtrack' the kids over the past few years.

Over recent history, you could say that outside of 1st round picks, we have not been very successful in young player development.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Banana View Post
    The question is why didnt they give some of the larger kids a go?
    Was it because the coaching staff didnt think they were ready?
    Fair point, however I think we are underestimating the "Podsiadly effect".
    Here was an excellent VFL forward, who knew where to lead and knew the Werribee gameplan backwards, so was best placed to capitalise on opportunity.

With the new Willy alliance, I am very hopefull of the development of O'Shea, Stinger, Boumann etc. as they will be trully nutured into playing as genuine KPP players (and not second fiddle to a VFL superstar)

Post Thanks / Like

If you look at Collingwood, Port & Hawthorn you could say that they have fast tracked a lot of kids into their senior team, whereas we have seemed to 'slowtrack' the kids over the past few years.
    Have they? (I assume you're still talking about KPP)

Hawthorn have brought in Roughead and Franklin but they were both top 5 picks. Gilham had been in the system for a few years with Port already (only played 1 game for Port). Thorp has played a couple of games (he was a top 10er as well). Dowler was another top 10er who hasn't played yet.

Port have Chaplin (late 1st rounder) and Westhoff (drafted as a 20yo).

Collingwood have Cloke (F/S but everyone already knew how good he was).

So the only fast-tracked kids that they've brought in were all first rounders or F/S.

Post Thanks / Like

Other than the cost, the original set-up of having half the list at Werribee and half at Williamstown was terrific for the club. Very few ever played 2nds football and we had the added benefit of having the whole Williamstown to Werribee areas with Bulldog players.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    Have they? (I assume you're still talking about KPP)

Hawthorn have brought in Roughead and Franklin but they were both top 5 picks. Gilham had been in the system for a few years with Port already (only played 1 game for Port). Thorp has played a couple of games (he was a top 10er as well). Dowler was another top 10er who hasn't played yet.

Port have Chaplin (late 1st rounder) and Westhoff (drafted as a 20yo).

Collingwood have Cloke (F/S but everyone already knew how good he was).

So the only fast-tracked kids that they've brought in were all first rounders or F/S.

What about Marty Clarke, Toovey, Goldsack, Ben Reid & Brad Dick?

Granted Hawthorn didnt blood many last year, but over the past 2-3 seasons they have bought in a lot of young talent.

Post Thanks / Like

What about Marty Clarke, Toovey, Goldsack, Ben Reid & Brad Dick?

Granted Hawthorn didnt blood many last year, but over the past 2-3 seasons they have bought in a lot of young talent.
    I thought we were talking about KPPs?

Ben Reid was a top 10er as well (forgot about him).

Post Thanks / Like

Different thread. Just general player development here.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Ben Reid was a top 10er as well (forgot about him).
    You are right SS he was a top 10'er

When I started looking closer, it is interesting the difference between the impressions I had of some of the other teams younger player development and the actual truth.

Maybe I've been paying too much attention to the media

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe I've been paying too much attention to the media
    Why on earth would you do that?

Post Thanks / Like

Why on earth would you do that?
    Must be my gullible nature.....