Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  40
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Top of the table! Do we....

Pick a team to Win it?
    Roll ‘me out there and see what happens?

What do you think we do? Are we going out there with a plan to contain Oliver and give Petracca fits? Are we providing Pickett with an environment 2nd only to the pits of hell in comfort? Shut down those outside running defenders?

Or do we just say “here we are Dees...no tricks, no tactics...give us your best show and let the chips fall where they may”?

2-questions:
    1What would YOU do?
    What do you think Bevo will do?
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Top of the table! Do we....

We aren't about to walk away from playing silly buggers with team selections on Thursday night so who knows what it might look like.

I think we should pick our best team and go hell for leather for a win. There is no shame in a loss unless we put up an insipid performance.
    I think this is a great chance for Bevo and the coaches to see where we are really at.
    As a test it doesn't get any better than this during the season and we should embrace the opportunity of having the spotlight right on us.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I think this is a great chance for Bevo and the coaches to see where we are really at.
    So - do we see "where we are at"? Or "where we are at" when we do things like lock Clayton Oliver away?

I am really curious what the approach is going to be.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    So - do we see "where we are at"? Or "where we are at" when we do things like lock Clayton Oliver away?

I am really curious what the approach is going to be.
    We can do both. I'd be assigning him a run with player at least for part of the game.

Post Thanks / Like

Prior to this post I wanted to win but now I'm leaning towards mjp and a bunch of woofers rolled out there.
    "It's over. It's all over."

6. Likes MrMahatma liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think we'll show all our tricks.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    We can do both. I'd be assigning him a run with player at least for part of the game.
    Like whom?

I’d love to see Libba match up on Oliver and whilst be accountable, do what he does best and win the ball.

Think they’d have as many concerns as us with regard to our mids so not sure taggers will come in to play as it will mess with the mix of players.

Post Thanks / Like

We treat this as a final in terms of intensity, but not in terms of tactics. Lets see how our A game compares to their game and who on their list gets off the leash. A win is important, but not critical and in some ways a loss playing our way will tell us more than a win.

Post Thanks / Like

Tag defensive runners.

Trust our midfield to win head to head.

Don’t worry about their small forwards too much - make them accountable and draw Pickett away from the action on transition.

We can and should win.

Demons height up front may challenge us, and their midfield is really good, but despite their win over Richmond I’m not sure how tough they are. Think we can expose them and out work them.

Post Thanks / Like

We would have learnt a bit from the pre season game. I wouldn't show all our cards just yet though. Play 'our' way and see how it goes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Like whom?

I’d love to see Libba match up on Oliver and whilst be accountable, do what he does best and win the ball.

Think they’d have as many concerns as us with regard to our mids so not sure taggers will come in to play as it will mess with the mix of players.
    Liberatore is the man, Macrae at times as well.

Post Thanks / Like

We’ll put up our system v theirs, which is Bevo’s way.

Post Thanks / Like

I would be looking at making Macrae responsible for Oliver and just see how it works.

This would be an important experience to test Jack in his defensive side and still allow him to be where he can get a lot of the ball.

Let Libba do his stuff in the clinches and not let Oliver get it to/on the outside.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Challenge the corrider with ball in hand, shallow F50 entires to nullify their intercept marking prowess. Kick long goals, win the game.

Melbourne are predictable, they're just damn good at it. We're relatively predictable too.
    We lined up with Roarke and Scott on the wings from the opening bounce last weekend so it seems we have our own style - win the ball in the middle, and play defensive outside players (wings) so that the opposition can't get any outside game going.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    I would be looking at making Macrae responsible for Oliver and just see how it works.
    If we did this - and Macrae openly embraced the roll in front of his team-mates both in the team meeting and on Friday night - I am convinced we would win by 12 goals.

I have my doubts that he would be too keen though. As much as I love watching him play (which is a real, real lot) I still wonder at times if his 30+ possession winning streak is more important to him than whether or not we win.

I don't mean to sound negative (I don't - we're 9-1 and I am super, duper happy!) but he is one of the players who I wanted to 'prove it' pre-season re- sacrifice and team/self type attitude...and whilst he has played incredibly well, the team as a whole has been going so well that there has not really been a need for someone to go outside of their usual position and show that it is WINNING that means the most to them.

Chances of this happening Friday night? 99-1!