Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  40
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Top of the table! Do we....

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Let's face it. They are both good players.
    It’s going to be a fun match up.

Demons have got us at the best time when our overarching strength (mid depth) is at its lowest for the season.

A win on Friday would do wonders for our self belief in our system.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Let's face it. They are both good players.
    Yep. And Viney, and Brayshaw.
    I certainly don't think we tag one as they are so far above the others, much like teams would find it hard to tag one of our mids (e.g. Bont).

We'll probably play the midfield the way we have in recent weeks - defensive outside players (Roarke, McNeill takes Scott's defensive wing role) and try and win it in the centre.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

If we did this - and Macrae openly embraced the roll in front of his team-mates both in the team meeting and on Friday night - I am convinced we would win by 12 goals.

I have my doubts that he would be too keen though. As much as I love watching him play (which is a real, real lot) I still wonder at times if his 30+ possession winning streak is more important to him than whether or not we win.
    This is kinda unfair. There’s nothing in Macrae’s game to suggest he’s not doing the defensive work or prioritising possession over position, and in fact our ability to stymie opposition inside 50s would suggest the opposite. He’s just a really, really great player.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

4. Likes Bulldog4life, EasternWest, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    This is kinda unfair. There’s nothing in Macrae’s game to suggest he’s not doing the defensive work or prioritising possession over position, and in fact our ability to stymie opposition inside 50s would suggest the opposite. He’s just a really, really great player.
    He did have 8 tackles last week and covers the ground really well.
    He does regularly top the CBAs for our mids though (even over Libba) so I think he's less versatile than our other mids.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that it is very unfair. The comment imo totally undersells Jack Macrae who is an absolute champion, twice All-Australian and is as hard at it as anyone. He doesn't need to tag Oliver or anyone else, they need to tag him.

7. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think there’s a real benefit in making sure their play makers have a bad match. I mean, remember when JJ was first tagged and then went to water for a while. Get in their head. Make them think they can’t perform in big matches/against us.

There’s 4 points on the line and if we take this one, we’re oh so close to top 4 being locked away.

9. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westbulldog View Post
    I agree that it is very unfair. The comment imo totally undersells Jack Macrae who is an absolute champion, twice All-Australian and is as hard at it as anyone. He doesn't need to tag Oliver or anyone else, they need to tag him.
    That isnt necessarily what is best for the team though. If Macrae gets 35 and Oliver gets 30 vs Macrae with 25 and Oliver with 20 we may be better off with that tag.

Personally I'm happy to back in Macrae who has drastically improved his F50 entry this season but I dont see the comment as disrespectful.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    That isnt necessarily what is best for the team though. If Macrae gets 35 and Oliver gets 30 vs Macrae with 25 and Oliver with 20 we may be better off with that tag.

Personally I'm happy to back in Macrae who has drastically improved his F50 entry this season but I dont see the comment as disrespectful.
    I guess the pertinent question is who is more important to their team's performance? As good as Macrae is I would think Melb rely more heavily on Oliver than we do with Jack so for that reason alone we need to have someone accountable for his output... it doesn't necessarily need to be a hard tag, just keep him under control.

12. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Do we have all our players isolate due to Covid?

Post Thanks / Like

I agree.

He’s a confident guy and clearly rates himself does the Nator, but he also works hard defensively and puts his body on the line to buy time for team mates more often than any other player I’ve seen.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I'm a believer in never mucking around with form. While we are playing well we should always play to win and that's what we should do on Friday night.
    Agree, why give them added confidence if they win for next time when they face us. I’d almost go head to head in midfield, but give Roarke a tag on Langdon, and JJ a job on Salem (if he plays).
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

If we did this - and Macrae openly embraced the roll in front of his team-mates both in the team meeting and on Friday night - I am convinced we would win by 12 goals.

I have my doubts that he would be too keen though. As much as I love watching him play (which is a real, real lot) I still wonder at times if his 30+ possession winning streak is more important to him than whether or not we win.
    Not sure how you come to this conclusion. I very much doubt, in fact I would be certain, that this is not the case. He is a team first player and his main role is to get his hands on the pill. Are we willing to sacrifice his game to play a negating role on Oliver? Surely there are others whom can play this role, if that is what we need to do.

Post Thanks / Like

Pick a team to Win it?
    Roll ‘me out there and see what happens?

What do you think we do? Are we going out there with a plan to contain Oliver and give Petracca fits? Are we providing Pickett with an environment 2nd only to the pits of hell in comfort? Shut down those outside running defenders?

Or do we just say “here we are Dees...no tricks, no tactics...give us your best show and let the chips fall where they may”?

2-questions:
    1What would YOU do?
    What do you think Bevo will do?
    We go out all guns blazing ro win it. This game could be the difference betweem a home final and going interstate.
    The curse is dead.

18. Likes DOG GOD, The bulldog tragician liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whythelongface View Post
    Not sure how you come to this conclusion. I very much doubt, in fact I would be certain, that this is not the case. He is a team first player and his main role is to get his hands on the pill. Are we willing to sacrifice his game to play a negating role on Oliver? Surely there are others whom can play this role, if that is what we need to do.
    Yeah Macrae doesn't strike me at all as that sort of guy. He's completely selfless. He's an absolute gun and is constantly overlooked and underrated. If he wanted attention he probably would have demanded a trade to become numero 1 midfielder at another club. He's a team-first player no doubt.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Yeah Macrae doesn't strike me at all as that sort of guy. He's completely selfless. He's an absolute gun and is constantly overlooked and underrated. If he wanted attention he probably would have demanded a trade to become numero 1 midfielder at another club. He's a team-first player no doubt.
    He hates the limelight, and that's why he is under rated.