Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

New book - "The Boys Club"

Has anyone else bought this?

I'm up to chapter 4 (Which starts with a line about Lawrence Angwin being "off his face" and promises to explain the background behind the 3x policy etc).

What can I say - It is painting a very bleak picture of the operations within AFL house, about gross misconduct, misappropriation of funds and a partridge in a pear tree.

Mick Warner has written it and I am always suspicious of him due to his employer but it certainly seems as if this is a story that needs telling. Andrew Demetriou, Gillon, Mike Fitzpatrick...the list of names who it would seem the game would have been better off without is already growing.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New book - "The Boys Club"

No but I want it as Mick has never been shy to tell the truth before.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't want to read it because I'll just despise the AFL even more than I do.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

4. Thanks Topdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I don't want to read it because I'll just despise the AFL even more than I do.
    Same.

I have hated the administration of our game since the 1980s when we had idiots like Oakley in charge
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Same.

I have hated the administration of our game since the 1980s when we had idiots like Oakley in charge
    There has been a bit about Oakley in there already. You will be disappointed to hear that he is coming out of it relatively well compared to some of his cohorts from the same time period.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    There has been a bit about Oakley in there already. You will be disappointed to hear that he is coming out of it relatively well compared to some of his cohorts from the same time period.
    Maybe I should read it.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Maybe I should read it.
    It's been horrific reading. And if the AFL (as he claims) tried to deregister him (Mick Warner) over his reporting re- the Essendon cheating scandal, well, goodness only knows what will happen here.

Post Thanks / Like

It's been horrific reading. And if the AFL (as he claims) tried to deregister him (Mick Warner) over his reporting re- the Essendon cheating scandal, well, goodness only knows what will happen here.
    Someone mentioned there was aspersions cast on Geelong and their links to Dank during the premiership years. That would be a very juicy can of worms.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

10. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone else bought this?
    No, but I certainly intend to!
    Wake me up when we get to heaven, let me sleep if we're going to hell

Good luck, for your sake I hope heaven and hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath

And we all found heaven - 2016 Premiers!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Someone mentioned there was aspersions cast on Geelong and their links to Dank during the premiership years. That would be a very juicy can of worms.
    Yeah I think The Weapon was linked to Geelong prior to Essendon taking him on full time.

As bad and as good as the whole Essenden saga was, I think the best part was when they actually had a cheer squad of dedicated supporters flying a banner shouting out to The Weapon during games. I honestly can't think of a more broken and *!*!*!*!ed up getting ahead of yourself item that's ever happened to counter it.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Yeah I think The Weapon was linked to Geelong prior to Essendon taking him on full time.

As bad and as good as the whole Essenden saga was, I think the best part was when they actually had a cheer squad of dedicated supporters flying a banner shouting out to The Weapon during games. I honestly can't think of a more broken and *!*!*!*!ed up getting ahead of yourself item that's ever happened to counter it.
    the motto that year was "Whatever it takes"

Post Thanks / Like

Demetriou has covered himself in shame post AFL (Acquire learning, Crown) so it wouldnt surprise me now to learn he had his snout in it

Post Thanks / Like

I got toward the end of the introduction with a few alarm bells about the author's objectivity (I like a good "my enemies enemy is my enemy" as much as the next man but it doesn't mean I won't be a bit suss about motive) going off and then he finishes it with a quote from Keith Murdoch. I'll finish reading it but Warner has pretty much lost me already.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Chapter 15 - Inside Job.

All about the Tahlia brothers.

Omg.

Post Thanks / Like

Chapter 15 - Inside Job.

All about the Tahlia brothers.

Omg.
    Tell us more.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.