Thanks Thanks:  17
Likes Likes:  78
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Melbourne Lockdown, May 21.

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post

So, early in 2020 citizens returning from China were flown into the asylum seeker detention camp on Christmas Island which has housed just one family of four for the last three years. There were no issues arising from this.

There are empty detention camps dotted over the outback that were under the control of the Fed Govt's Border Force. They are empty. Why haven't they been re-purposed?
    My Dr mates tell me the distance from hospitals is the issue with these two solutions.

I'm with you but (apparently) there is a medical reason for this...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Nobody seems to blame the virus for the pandemic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    Let's cut to the chase. Quarantine, along with Defence, Immigration and Foreign Affairs among other powers, , is a Federal Government responsibility. It is written into the Constitution and there is a reason for this. It is because it is considered to be vital for the safety of the NATION.

So, early in 2020 citizens returning from China were flown into the asylum seeker detention camp on Christmas Island which has housed just one family of four for the last three years. There were no issues arising from this.

There are empty detention camps dotted over the outback that were under the control of the Fed Govt's Border Force. They are empty. Why haven't they been re-purposed?

It is negligent to use hotels for quarantine. It is suspected that the man who brought Corona to Victoria from SA hotel quarantine got the virus when he, and a person in a room across the corridor, opened their doors simultaneously and neither was wearing a mask.

The vaccine roll-out into Aged Care facilities was supposed to have been completed by March 30. Nearly 2 months later there are Aged Care centres that have not received their first shots. Aged Care is a Federal Government responsibility. We have a Federal Aged Care Minister who, several months ago at the peak of the crisis in NSW, did not know how many people had died in Aged Care. He is still in his job.

The USA has vaccinated 50% of its population. I heard last night on the 7.30 Report that we have vaccinated 5%.

How many re-call the PM's response when Corona first appeared as a serious threat? His first preference was for herd immunity! Thankfully, the health experts dissuaded him from this course of inaction. I am thankful that the Fed Govt took action to save people's jobs and livelihoods. However, the lack of action in creating a fit for purpose quarantine system now threatens the health and economic future of the nation once again. Thank God the price of iron ore is at an all-time high!
    Great Post Merantau, sums it up perfectly.

With all the federal government stuff ups, we are still way better off than many countries, so at least we have that to be thankful for.

I feel for all the small businesses, especially in retail/food industries and all the employees relying on the income.

I myself am self employed, but have work to keep me going. It got very tough last year as projects were completed, but I couldn't generate new clients. It has taken me 6 months to recover so fingers crossed we don't go any longer than the 7 days.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

4. Likes EasternWest, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Yep, on Monday (once the lines cool) I'll be booking in for my jab as things have opened up to over 40s.
    I'm not quite in my 40s, but wife is - she went to Sunshine health as a walk up this morning. Arrived at 9. Has just texted me that she's done. So a little over an hour on day 1 of the 40-49's.....pretty good.

6. Likes bulldogtragic, bornadog, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    I'm not quite in my 40s, but wife is - she went to Sunshine health as a walk up this morning. Arrived at 9. Has just texted me that she's done. So a little over an hour on day 1 of the 40-49's.....pretty good.
    Yesterday I tried to go as a walk in to a smaller centre. (I had held off beforehand because of a bad reaction to last years flu shot, but decided that in the current situation ,needed to just get it done). Advertised wait time was 15 minutes. I arrived, there was a queue, waited 20 minutes, no staff member visible til a person came out and said he’d just been done but it had taken 2 hours. By this point it was raining, and the queue was outside, so I left and tried the vaccine booking hotline only to be told there was a 2 hour wait to even speak to someone...

It’s hard to see why, in 2021, an online booking system for vaccines isn’t available.

It’s also infuriating to read today about one aged care centre, which had all its residents prepared for a May 11 vaccine rollout, only for it to be cancelled with half an hours notice because the vaccine team were one person down. Ok, perhaps couldn’t be helped, but as of today 17 days later, these acutely vulnerable residents remain unvaccinated.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

8. Likes EasternWest, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I booked online last night at the Austin now that I’m eligible, though the earliest available was July 1.

Might try the hotline again today to see if I can get any earlier, but a month from now is better than XMAS (which was my expectation)
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    It’s hard to see why, in 2021, an online booking system for vaccines isn’t available.
    The phone lines couldn't cope with everyone ringing at the same time. I believe over 77,000 calls.

My question is why haven't these people vaccinated before? I went Monday morning as a walk in, (no cases on Monday) and the whole process took 30 minutes including the 15 minute observation time. There was only a handful of people. I understand people have reasons (like you with bad reactions or not eligible under 50), but the majority have been complacent.

As for aged care it is a shambles and Morrison and his Government have a lot to answer for. My sister in law works in aged care in Nagambie and no sign of doses and it is the end of May.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    My question is why haven't these people vaccinated before? I went Monday morning as a walk in, (no cases on Monday) and the whole process took 30 minutes including the 15 minute observation time. There was only a handful of people. I understand people have reasons (like you with bad reactions or not eligible under 50), but the majority have been complacent.
    That's probably a question you can ask yourself, BAD.
    "It's over. It's all over."

12. Likes azabob, SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd get the Pfizer if they opened up the eligibility.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    That's probably a question you can ask yourself, BAD.
    If you are asking about me. I had the flu injection and had to wait 14 days, then I was on holiday for a week, got back and had a cold for two weeks (yes I had a coronavirus test), and then went on Monday. Before all that I wasn't eligible

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    If you are asking about me. I had the flu injection and had to wait 14 days, then I was on holiday for a week, got back and had a cold for two weeks (yes I had a coronavirus test), and then went on Monday. Before all that I wasn't eligible
    Listen, if you're just going to respond with reasonable statements then I'll take my antagonism elsewhere.
    "It's over. It's all over."

16. Thanks Topdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Listen, if you're just going to respond with reasonable statements then I'll take my antagonism elsewhere.
    haha

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Nobody seems to blame the virus for the pandemic.
    Or its origin (the authoritarian regime, not its poor suffering people obviously)
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

19. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Typical Melbourne centric thread title, the state extends past the city limits and we are all locked down!

The fact this thread was started by a West Australian is beside the point!

21. Thanks chef thanked for this post
    Likes jeemak, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pity about the lock down, otherwise I'd suggest your demands could be easily met down at the Yarraville nets.

23. Likes EasternWest liked this post