Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  35
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Three things you've learned. Round eleven 2021 v Melb

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I think with Lipinski we're now just continually focusing on the things we know he doesn't do well and everything else is a blur.

The review will be kinder to him than it will be to a lot of other players this week because he tried all night and was more productive than a bunch of others.
    But when the things he doesn’t do well continue to let the team down it’s hard to look past them... he has continually been tried as an inside mid and is yet to play with the hardness the role requires (the MC know this as he gets taken away from the midfield rotation mid game when he lets us down) and doesn’t have the skill set to play outside the contest.

When we get some players back he’s going to struggle to hold his place in the team.

2. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1, Turnovers in the front half hurt;
    2. Need a plan B when a team denies space and brings a quality pressure game;
    3. Treloar out was a missing bod too far - our midfield is good, but it without Dunks and Treloar in the middle it comes back to the field

4. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Hard to tell on the TV but Melbourne blocked our space extremely well and we weren’t good enough to work through them. Normally our fast, slick handball allows to be able to create gaps in the opposition’s defence. There was very little of that tonight. Instead we tried to switch the play. Again we didn’t execute this too well with some poor turnovers.

2. All hope is not lost. As BAD mentioned we only lost the last 3qtrs by 1 point. A few tweaks here and there and the addition of a few players - Dunks, Treloar, Martin, Wood and Vandermeer - we should be able to reverse this result come finals. The other plus is that our team had an off night - now is that a case of not turning up or Melbourne’s pressure exploiting some chinks in our game - time will tell.

3. We rate our mids but geez the Dees mids really outplayed us. That Clayton Oliver can play - he is everything I want Pat Lipinski to be - same height, weight and body type.
    Last edited by whythelongface; 29-05-2021 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Poor spelling and grammar

6. Likes GVGjr, macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. I just cannot watch footy without crowds, especially when we are losing.
    2. May and Lever are the 2 backs I wish we had...if we did we’d be unbeatable.
    3. Lippa is truly a VFL standard player. Seems like a nice guy, but just a “nice” player too.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    But when the things he doesn’t do well continue to let the team down it’s hard to look past them... he has continually been tried as an inside mid and is yet to play with the hardness the role requires (the MC know this as he gets taken away from the midfield rotation mid game when he lets us down) and doesn’t have the skill set to play outside the contest.

When we get some players back he’s going to struggle to hold his place in the team.
    Guys like Schache get the finger from the MC because he lacks hardness, yet Lipinski is given chance after chance. He just doesn’t have the balls to be hard at it, in and under. He’s slow, and has no defensive traits. Can’t lay a tackle, and is fast becoming a whipping boy. He’s a good VFL player, but the next step is a step too far. Time to move on.I’d rather see Wallis in the middle (at least he can lay and hold a tackle), and that’s saying something.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Schache and Lipinski are not the same and shouldn't be compared.

Schache isn't getting picked because he lacks intensity, yeah true in part, but more than that we has an inability to get involved in games, does not play a role that is important to us and lacks versatility.

Lipinskindoes a lot well, he is clean with the ball, links up really well, can play midfield or forward, is a decent mark, suits our handball game really well and always gets involved. He lacks the intensity and hardness in the contest that he needs to actually compete with the better sides, but he offers everything else.

I like him, but he does lose key moments too often due to his lack of physicality which will hold him back forever. There are similiar players who have been part of great sides in the past so I'm not writing him off.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

10. Likes SonofScray, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. When your best players kick it straight to the opposition, you can’t rely on your role players to make the difference.
    2. We need to do whatever it takes to have Stef Martin ready to play in the finals, ready to compete against the competition’s best at the pointy end. He’s our Clark Keating.
    3. Dunks & Treloar will be a big difference next time we play the Dees.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

1. Melbourne are the real deal.
    2. Our midfield needs to do something different against the best pressure sides.
    3. English is great.
    Last edited by Grantysghost; 29-05-2021 at 10:18 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    1. When your best players kick it straight to the opposition, you can’t rely on your role players to make the difference.
    2. We need to do whatever it takes to have Stef Martin ready to play in the finals, ready to compete against the competition’s best at the pointy end. He’s our Clark Keating.
    3. Dunks & Treloar will be a big difference next time we play the Dees.
    Dunks and Treloar won’t be back next time we play the dees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    1. I don't care what anyone says, when you lose 2 elite mids, your first ruck, a key defender (Wood) and a couple of roleplayers you're not going to best the top 2-3 sides in the comp. It's just reality.

2. Unfortunately Lipinski is done with us.

3. English looks good - huge positive moving forward.
    But Melbourne lost one elite mid in Viney, one key back in Tomlinson and they've lost role players as well (Hore).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Schache and Lipinski are not the same and shouldn't be compared.

Schache isn't getting picked because he lacks intensity, yeah true in part, but more than that we has an inability to get involved in games, does not play a role that is important to us and lacks versatility.

Lipinskindoes a lot well, he is clean with the ball, links up really well, can play midfield or forward, is a decent mark, suits our handball game really well and always gets involved. He lacks the intensity and hardness in the contest that he needs to actually compete with the better sides, but he offers everything else.

I like him, but he does lose key moments too often due to his lack of physicality which will hold him back forever. There are similiar players who have been part of great sides in the past so I'm not writing him off.
    Sounds like you're talking about Bailey Dale two years ago when he was the same age as Lipinski. Not sticking up for Lippa he was putrid, but he's a developing player. Are we expecting too much?

Post Thanks / Like

1. Melbourne have the best defensive setup in the competition, and we weren't ready for it

2. Fortune favours the brave, and we weren't brave enough with the ball after some skill errors early. Libba had the right idea with his kicks into the corridor. One came unstuck, three created opportunities.

3. Ruckmen are more important at centre bounces than at other stoppages. Max Gawn made Petracca, Oliver and Harmes look like the better midfield at centre bounces.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    But Melbourne lost one elite mid in Viney, one key back in Tomlinson and they've lost role players as well (Hore).
    Viney I'll give you, though he's not on Dunkley or Treloars level and IMO is a limited but very good player.

But Tomlinson? He's bog average who was hidden by Lever and May, he's no loss at all as evidenced by Petty (also average) playing the same role.

Melbourne have hardly had to deal with injuries when we're using names like Tomlinson and Hore.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

1. Crowds do influence umpires. No way a few HTB decisions in front of goal get missed with the fans howling.
    2. Commentary is infuriating bad, always bashing the umpires. It’s toxic.
    3. We really don’t like to change things up drastically in game at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Viney I'll give you, though he's not on Dunkley or Treloars level and IMO is a limited but very good player.

But Tomlinson? He's bog average who was hidden by Lever and May, he's no loss at all as evidenced by Petty (also average) playing the same role.

Melbourne have hardly had to deal with injuries when we're using names like Tomlinson and Hore.
    You're selling Tomlinson short. He's been fantastic all year and my Melbourne supporting mate is absolutely gutted he's down. He's been way better for them this year than Wood has been for us, and that was the comparison. Have you watched him / Melbourne much this year? While Lever and May have helped him immeasurably Melbourne were very very happy with Tomlinson and they view him as a big loss. Was having a breakout season and was not the player you remember at GWS.

As for Viney he was slated for AA in 2016 but got injured. He's won a B&F and been runner up twice. How many has Dunks won? I'm all for rating our players but sometimes you've got to take the glasses off. Melbourne were two best 22 down, one mid, one defender we are two best 22 mids down and (probably) one best 22 defender down.

As for Hore he's a role player much like ours.

Injuries are no excuse for what we dished up.