Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  35
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Question Three things you've learned. Round eleven 2021 v Melb

Alrighty. Tell us three things you know now that you didn't know before the game.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Three things you've learned. Round eleven 2021 v Melb

Bump
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

1. Our bad is quite bad. 40+ points from easy turnovers. No one to blame but ourselves.
    2. Bevo better have a better plan B when we play them later in the H&A at the MCG.
    3. The three headed monster got most our goals. Not sure why we didn’t try to feed it more.
    4. Sam Power has just put a line through Lipinski.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

4. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. I don't care what anyone says, when you lose 2 elite mids, your first ruck, a key defender (Wood) and a couple of roleplayers you're not going to best the top 2-3 sides in the comp. It's just reality.

2. Unfortunately Lipinski is done with us.

3. English looks good - huge positive moving forward.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    1. I don't care what anyone says, when you lose 2 elite mids, your first ruck, a key defender (Wood) and a couple of roleplayers you're not going to best the top 2-3 sides in the comp. It's just reality.

But Melbourne lost one elite mid in Viney, one key back in Tomlinson and they've lost role players as well (Hore).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    But Melbourne lost one elite mid in Viney, one key back in Tomlinson and they've lost role players as well (Hore).
    Viney I'll give you, though he's not on Dunkley or Treloars level and IMO is a limited but very good player.

But Tomlinson? He's bog average who was hidden by Lever and May, he's no loss at all as evidenced by Petty (also average) playing the same role.

Melbourne have hardly had to deal with injuries when we're using names like Tomlinson and Hore.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Viney I'll give you, though he's not on Dunkley or Treloars level and IMO is a limited but very good player.

But Tomlinson? He's bog average who was hidden by Lever and May, he's no loss at all as evidenced by Petty (also average) playing the same role.

Melbourne have hardly had to deal with injuries when we're using names like Tomlinson and Hore.
    You're selling Tomlinson short. He's been fantastic all year and my Melbourne supporting mate is absolutely gutted he's down. He's been way better for them this year than Wood has been for us, and that was the comparison. Have you watched him / Melbourne much this year? While Lever and May have helped him immeasurably Melbourne were very very happy with Tomlinson and they view him as a big loss. Was having a breakout season and was not the player you remember at GWS.

As for Viney he was slated for AA in 2016 but got injured. He's won a B&F and been runner up twice. How many has Dunks won? I'm all for rating our players but sometimes you've got to take the glasses off. Melbourne were two best 22 down, one mid, one defender we are two best 22 mids down and (probably) one best 22 defender down.

As for Hore he's a role player much like ours.

Injuries are no excuse for what we dished up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    You're selling Tomlinson short. He's been fantastic all year and my Melbourne supporting mate is absolutely gutted he's down. He's been way better for them this year than Wood has been for us, and that was the comparison. Have you watched him / Melbourne much this year? While Lever and May have helped him immeasurably Melbourne were very very happy with Tomlinson and they view him as a big loss. Was having a breakout season and was not the player you remember at GWS.

As for Viney he was slated for AA in 2016 but got injured. He's won a B&F and been runner up twice. How many has Dunks won? I'm all for rating our players but sometimes you've got to take the glasses off. Melbourne were two best 22 down, one mid, one defender we are two best 22 mids down and (probably) one best 22 defender down.

As for Hore he's a role player much like ours.

Injuries are no excuse for what we dished up.
    Anyone could play as a third tall behind Lever and May. You're giving Tomlinson way too much credit. He really isn't a loss on his own and isn't as important to Melbourne as Wood is to us. That's not rose coloured glasses, it's just fact.

Not sure 'would have been AA if not for injury' is worth mentioning, particularly considering Dunks has had major injuries which has robbed him of the same opportunity. I'd pick Dunks over Viney every day of the week, he can play multiple roles which Viney can't and it's clear we're missing his aerial presence, defensive running and ball winning ability. It's really compounded by our other injuries, especially Treloar. It allows sides to sit on / shut out the likes of Libba. Vineys a loss of course, but anyone who makes the argument that we aren't heavily disadvantaged by injuries in comparison to Melbourne is ignoring a truth about footy - you can't have multiple elite players and key cogs out of your side and expect to beat other top teams.

I agree last night's performance was poor but there are explanations for it. I've ridden the team as hard as any since 2016, last night's result doesn't concern me at all. Staying healthy and st the right time does and we need to continue to bank wins any way we can, especially against the middle to lower teams, until we get key players back.
    W00F!

10. Likes bornadog, Happy Days, Mantis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We didn't make these excuses in 2016.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    We didn't make these excuses in 2016.
    Relying on players to come back is a bit fraught with danger anyway. Let's say there is 8 weeks to go until we get Dunks and Treloar back...are we really going to get through that period unscathed? We're copping injuries every week so hoping we'll overcome the best sides when our best 22 come together is hoping for something that is unlikely to every happen.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

1. Our crowd energises us. That's a negative now, but also a positive when hopefully crowds return.
    2. Sometimes you've got to lose to learn. I reckon we will learn more out of our losses to Richmond and Melbourne, than they'll gain from the win.
    3. I'm still very positive about our prospects. We played as sh1t as we could, and we only lost by less than 30 points.

14. Likes josie, macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    1. Our crowd energises us. That's a negative now, but also a positive when hopefully crowds return.
    2. Sometimes you've got to lose to learn. I reckon we will learn more out of our losses to Richmond and Melbourne, than they'll gain from the win.
    3. I'm still very positive about our prospects. We played as sh1t as we could, and we only lost by less than 30 points.
    Great point on learning from our loses. Beating St kilda, just affirmed that we can beat lazy teams. Melbourne were hungrier than us tonight and they demanded the ball in every contest.

Post Thanks / Like

Was Lipinski that bad? Quite a few woofers seem to think so. Was it because he looked slow or a lack of pressure? I actually thought he did a few ok things as an inside mid. Got torched by a dreadful hand pass to him & coughed up a goal. Quite a few others turned ball over leading to 4 goal lead we never could peg back (Libba, Dale, possibly Bont, Macrae, possibly Daniel….).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Was Lipinski that bad? Quite a few woofers seem to think so. Was it because he looked slow or a lack of pressure? I actually thought he did a few ok things as an inside mid. Got torched by a dreadful hand pass to him & coughed up a goal. Quite a few others turned ball over leading to 4 goal lead we never could peg back (Libba, Dale, possibly Bont, Macrae, possibly Daniel….).
    He was pretty bad, but more so he was bad in the same areas.

Being bad is ok, failing to improve in your weak areas is concerning.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    He was pretty bad, but more so he was bad in the same areas.

Being bad is ok, failing to improve in your weak areas is concerning.
    That's the worrying element. More's the worry is that I reckon there was a period of games where he'd played at Footscray in an inside role, got a promotion to the 1sts, did well for a patch of weeks (think it was 2019) and looked to have improved that part of his game...
    He's dropped away alarmingly.. He doesn't fit our system right now, and I suspect it's a hard road back for him now. Which must suck extra given he's grown up supporting the Dogs. Sam Power has definitely moved him to the 'available for trade' side of his little red book now.