Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  14
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers & Anchors: Rnd 11, 2021 vs Melbourne Demons

This is the round 11, 2021 edition of the weekly Bankers and Anchors thread. Once the game against Melbourne is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
    The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bankers & Anchors: Rnd 11, 2021 vs Melbourne Demons

B

Very little.
    Three headed monster kicked most of our goals. English marking around the ground.
    Weightman kept the run and pressure up all night. Nice to see effort.

A

Everything
    8.11 and several on the full. Missing easy set shots are killers
    Bailey Smith worst game
    Turnovers, *!*!*!*!ing easy ones, worth about 50 points
    Lack of leadership. JJ MIA.
    Lipinski, to be traded now
    Poor Garcia out after 23 minutes
    Out coached
    Panic ‘defending’
    Losing top of the ladder and 11.3%
    Keep adding...
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers
    Struggling here
    1. Tim. Good call by the Match Committee to let him 'get right'. He was a minor shining light.
    2. Roarke Smith. yep he coughed up one late, when he shanked one.. But otherwise I thought he defended well when he needed to, and took the right option attacking when it was on. He's improved a lot

That's all

Anchors

1. Our mids- our one wood, the protector of our shaky defense. They sucked balls tonight. All of them. Yes Jack got his 30 plus...bully for him.
    2. Our energy around the ball - especially the first half - which set the tone. We fumbled, we weren't 'kamikaze', we allowed them to get it on their terms outside.
    3. Lipinski - If he hasn't learned to tackle by now, it ain't happening. Either reinvent him in a role where that isn't essential (nowhere) or look to move him on. Shit that sucks to say: I had high hopes he'd improve that aspect of his game by now.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

1. Macrae and Bont just kept going and going trying to lift the team. 9 and 8 tackles each.

2. Bruce - great set shots

3. Naughton Marking, took another 8

Anchors

1. Turnovers first quarter, cost us, as we matched them for the rest of the game.

2. Some dumb forward entries, kicking it straight to Gawn, or Lever.

3. Some easy misses at goal
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

5. Likes SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers
    1. English was undoubtedly the shining light. I was worried that we would get a shell of the player we saw earlier in the year, but he was at his best with his movement around the ground and marking. I wonder if we could have prolonged Liam Picken's career with similar management (understanding that this was not quite best practice back then).

2. I thought Lipinski was the cleanest he has been with his disposal and decision-making for a while. He clearly enjoyed the ball-winning aspect of being back in the midfield rotation. Unfortunately, until he improves his physicality I'm not sure that we can persist with him in the midfield.

3. My favourite passage of play was the Sweet tap back over his head to Baz streaming through, long kick forward to a contest with Cody front and centre for the perfect crumbers goal. I felt like it was the only time we effectively crumbed a contest.

Anchors
    1. The television coverage. It is absolutely pathetic. These useless morons know that everyone is stuck at home and watching their coverage - so to reward us, they constantly zoom in so tightly that you can only see the 3m directly around the ball. You can't see what they're running towards, what they're running away from, whether they're about to get chased down, whether they've missed an open teammate. It is immensely frustrating.
    And then to top it off in last night's game they keep talking about how well the Demons are setting up across the ground. Well then FOR THE LOVE OF GOD SHOW US!!!! Just one shot from behind the goals, that is not from a kick in. You're not on the radio - use the visuals to help you demonstrate WHY the Dogs kept trying to switch from side-to-side. At one point, Carey said that the Demons players were always spreading to the side of the switch before the Dogs players - SHOW US.
    I would LOVE to watch a game where 90% is shown on a wide angle lens which gives us at least 50m coverage. Think of soccer coverage - almost all of the time it is the long shot from up top which shows sideline-to-sideline, and probably 40-50% of the length of the pitch. Why do AFL broadcasts think we are too dumb to appreciate that angle?
    Defensive setups are a key part of the game, and they are negligent in not showing it to their viewers.

2. Libba getting tagged. Hopefully it doesn't give any other teams ideas, because it showed how vital he is to us.

3. Our refusal to kick it long to our talls, and when we did being outnumbered at ground level. A) we played 3 tall forwards, so let's actually give them a chance to do what they're in the team to do. B) we knew that most of the time the long kick would create a contest rather than a mark, so why were we consistently outnumbered? Lazy or poorly coached?

7. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

2. Libba getting tagged. Hopefully it doesn't give any other teams ideas, because it showed how vital he is to us
    As dissapointing for me was the complete lack of any support from his team mates to give him a chop out and hassle Harmes.
    Don't think I recall seeing it at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    As dissapointing for me was the complete lack of any support from his team mates to give him a chop out and hassle Harmes.
    Don't think I recall seeing it at all.
    What percentage of game do you think Libba actually played midfield? There was a point in the 3rd I checked if he was injured because I couldn't recall seeing him on the field.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    What percentage of game do you think Libba actually played midfield? There was a point in the 3rd I checked if he was injured because I couldn't recall seeing him on the field.
    I think he was moved forward at times to try and break the tag? It's impossible to tell from the TV, your astute observations I am in total agreement with on that front.

His heat map indicates he was mainly in the middle?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Anchors
    1. The television coverage. It is absolutely pathetic. These useless morons know that everyone is stuck at home and watching their coverage - so to reward us, they constantly zoom in so tightly that you can only see the 3m directly around the ball. You can't see what they're running towards, what they're running away from, whether they're about to get chased down, whether they've missed an open teammate. It is immensely frustrating.
    Top it off with the annoying voices of the commentators - very difficult to watch

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Yankee Hotel Foxtrot;734870]Bankers
    S
    Anchors[/B]
    1. Our mids- our one wood, the protector of our shaky defense. They sucked balls tonight. All of them. Yes Jack got his 30 plus...bully for him.

Yes Melbourne mids won conclusively on Friday and we are all disappointed but would you prefer Jack didn't have the most disposals after 11 rounds in vfl/afl history ? Would you prefer that he didn't lay 9 tackles v Melbourne ? 19 woofers have cast their votes to date, 9 voted Jack our best, 6 for 3 votes, 2 for 2 votes and 1 for 1 vote. Only 1 didn't include him in votes. It seems you don't rate him. Also after 11 rounds, virtually half the season, (upcoming games won't change this) we have the 2nd lowest points against in the comp, just 10 behind Melbourne and 1 ahead of Geelong so what is shaky about our defence ?

13. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Surprised no-one has given a slap to the umpires (specifically Ray) on their inability to bounce the ball straight & high... Melbourne had a huge advantage on at least 3 occasions by poor bounces.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Surprised no-one has given a slap to the umpires (specifically Ray) on their inability to bounce the ball straight & high... Melbourne had a huge advantage on at least 3 occasions by poor bounces.
    Why aren’t they recalled any more? I’ve noticed this in other matches too.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers:

1. Bont tried but just didn't come as easy as the previous week for him
    2. Naughton also tried to make things happen and ran some serious distance to shake his defender
    3. Tim i thought came back not too bad. I thought he would be a bit sheepish after being out for so long.

Anchors:
    1. Lipinski. This kid can play, he's got great skills and at times i've seen him actually go in hard and lay some good tackles. But then other times he goes missing and too often has his tackles broken. There was a particular patch where he made two bad mistakes where he just needed to be harder and more desperate and he wasn't.

2. Dale. Really poor under pressure again. Looks like gold when there isn't any but the opposition bring the heat his skills go missing.

3. Our poor/slow ball movement from the back half. Daniel, Williams, Dale, Crozier, Duryea, Cordy, Keath.
    This has happened 3 times this year now. Two times against top opposition when we went in favourites, and the other against Carlton. For the latter it took a bit of run and carry from Treloar to wake us up and then we started moving the ball better.

We really missed this from him once again. The biggest culprits were Daniel Williams and Dale. They went into their shell and played so slowly, switching play like treacle on to get picked off, or kicking it directly to an opponent. Then when there are no option they tried to kick the most difficult kick which was never on.
    Here's what actually works, you have to take the game on and use your legs, when you are opening space on the run, then more spaces open up ahead. Otherwise it's just a stationary zone that picks you off every time.

4. (one extra)
    Melbourne were so predictable yet we couldn't work it out. They just applied pressure and picked us off, then they did the same 1-2 combo and opened us up like a tin of sardines. They handball backwards against the direction of play and they have a runner streaming past through the open space behind them.

17. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

Roarke - late kick aside, played his role with aplomb
    JJ - ditto, Salem had little say on the night
    Naughton - without his attack on the ball we lose by a lot more

Anchors

Our lack of support for player getting tagged - Daniel last year, Libba last week. If you're a bulldog and you're getting tagged, you're on your own
    Garcia injury - give the kid some luck you footy god bastards
    Turnovers - 10 goals + from bad kicks. Terrible
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    JJ - ditto, Salem had little say on the night
    Good point. No one else (including me) has given praise for the work JJ did. Salem was hardly sighted.