Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  25
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Jake Lever - Stick an elbow IN HIS BACK!

Just finished watching the game.

I don't understand a lot of things but I do understand this. If Lever is allowed to float around, he is going to take intercept marks. You need to play with an elbow IN HIS BACK. Don't lead - he reads it better than you. Don't double back into space - he reads it better than you. STICK YOUR ELBOW IN HIS BACK.

Like - how hard is it. When you are playing against someone like Lever, telling players to lower their eyes etc is great in theory...but then the pressure comes and he marks it. Instead, just stick your elbow in his back and every time he jumps for the ball he has some serious heat on him. He is forced to compete, not allowed to be the 3rd man.

Sure, it wasn't our night, but we can at least do this. And I know if we are sitting on Salem then sitting on Lever as well might make it 'hard' but he impacted so many times....
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

2. Likes GVGjr, Sedat, Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jake Lever - Stick an elbow IN HIS BACK!

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Just finished watching the game.

I don't understand a lot of things but I do understand this. If Lever is allowed to float around, he is going to take intercept marks. You need to play with an elbow IN HIS BACK. Don't lead - he reads it better than you. Don't double back into space - he reads it better than you. STICK YOUR ELBOW IN HIS BACK.

Like - how hard is it. When you are playing against someone like Lever, telling players to lower their eyes etc is great in theory...but then the pressure comes and he marks it. Instead, just stick your elbow in his back and every time he jumps for the ball he has some serious heat on him. He is forced to compete, not allowed to be the 3rd man.

Sure, it wasn't our night, but we can at least do this. And I know if we are sitting on Salem then sitting on Lever as well might make it 'hard' but he impacted so many times....
    Agree. I don’t understand how teams can allow him just to float like you say. If it’s obvious to you MJP, why not the MC ? By watching the game, what was the thinking of the MC regarding Lever ?
    I will never see #16 the same!!

4. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Brisbane took the advice Mike. Working well.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I'd rather someone put a knee in his back. I don't mind Melbourne but just can't take this bloke.

7. Likes bulldogtragic, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just stick a bloke on him all game and don't give him more than a foot of space.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

9. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Just stick a bloke on him all game and don't give him more than a foot of space.
    May be we should have moved Cordy forward
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

11. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    I'd rather someone put a knee in his back. I don't mind Melbourne but just can't take this bloke.
    Oi oi easy now gov'na.

13. Likes The bulldog tragician liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    May be we should have moved Cordy forward
    Knee to the back of the head?
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Trying not to kick to him (or May) would have been the starting point.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Just plow into him and May at every contest, make them hesitant.

17. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Anything you want to add MJP?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

What I've seen with these guys is that they're really good at pushing forwards higher up the ground, pulling back to take the ball that's been kicked too full/ long.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

20. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As Comrade has mentioned, Hawthorn made sure the high ball didn't come in so that Lever and May didn't have the opportunity to take intercept marks. We need our forwards to lead and our mids/wingman to hit the players on a leading chest.

This game should be ideal for Weightman and Garcia to mop up the spoiled balls and snap some goals. With rain forecast, our smaller forwards need to do the job.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    As Comrade has mentioned, Hawthorn made sure the high ball didn't come in so that Lever and May didn't have the opportunity to take intercept marks. We need our forwards to lead and our mids/wingman to hit the players on a leading chest.

This game should be ideal for Weightman and Garcia to mop up the spoiled balls and snap some goals. With rain forecast, our smaller forwards need to do the job.
    I would have thought Weightman was a more mark and kick type player than a crumbing one
    Lets hope they can both adjust
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I would have thought Weightman was a more mark and kick type player than a crumbing one
    Lets hope they can both adjust
    Weightman has shown that he is pretty good at both but has certainly kicked more from marks.