Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Sign and Trade Period preview: Flag Crow wants out, star Tiger to join rivals

ADELAIDE premiership star Chloe Scheer has officially requested a trade to Geelong, while Richmond key forward Sabrina Frederick is expected to become a Magpie as early as Monday.

The AFLW Sign and Trade Period will officially open at 12pm AEST on Monday, with the trade portion to close at 2pm on Wednesday, June 9.

As previously reported by womens.afl, Geelong had made an offer to the 21-year-old South Australian.

Draft picks are essentially meaningless to the Crows, who have a monopoly over the state-based South Australian draft pool.

"Chloe has spoken to a couple of clubs, which we knew about. We did our best to keep her, but she came to the club yesterday (Thursday) and said she wanted to be traded to Geelong," Adelaide general manager of women's footy Phil Harper told womens.afl.

"We can't do anything about it until Sign and Trade Period starts, so when that starts, we'll see how we go.

"I've got no idea how (a potential swap for draft picks) will play out. They'll have an idea of what they want to offer, I presume. It makes it more tricky, but the player needs to be happy with where they're playing, so if that's what she wants to do, we're comfortable with that."

The Crows are confident of retaining Ebony Marinoff after some strong interest from St Kilda.

The Saints are now not expecting to be heavily involved in the Sign and Trade Period.

Frederick will be playing for her third club, having previously played for Brisbane, while versatile Pie Maddie Shevlin – who can play on either flank or the wing – will go to Richmond in return, having started her career at Melbourne.

Collingwood will wait for the Delisted Free Agency period (following the Trade Period) to sign former Blues ruck Alison Downie as a short-term cover for the retired Sharni Norder.

Downie, 37 in July, has returned to basketball this winter, signing with NBL1 side Dandenong Ranges.

All eyes will be on the out-of-contract Tayla Harris, with Adelaide, Collingwood and the Western Bulldogs the latest clubs to confirm to womens.afl they will not be pursuing the high-flying forward.

The deal to get Olivia Purcell from Geelong to Melbourne looks set to involve another player going back the other way.

The Dees currently have pick Nos. 15, 32 and 47, with the All-Australian Purcell originally drafted with No.14 in 2018.

Carlton is confident of landing Giant Jess Dal Pos, with a possible trade involving former co-captain Katie Loynes on the cards.

The Blues have opted not to offer Loynes another contract for the 2021-22 season.

The path is not as straightforward for fellow Giant Elle Bennetts, with a second player (perhaps via a third club) potentially needing to be involved to get the winger and Victorian to the Western Bulldogs.

Dogs ruck Kim Rennie wishes to be traded to North Melbourne, while Kangaroos tall Kate Gillespie-Jones is exploring her options elsewhere.

She's not the only Roo potentially on the move, with forward Sophie Abbatangelo also looking outside of Arden Street.

Daria Bannister (Geelong) and Jas Grierson (GWS) have been linked to other clubs, although North has maintained the pair will stay.

The Western Bulldogs were keen to attract a senior player in return for draft picks, but the plan was scuttled after the AFL made a decision on priority picks.

The Dogs have been pushed from pick Nos. 4 and 12 to 6 and 16, and with a comparatively shallow Victorian draft pool this year, those selections are not as valuable as they may have been in other years.

Picks 1-5 are unable to be traded by the clubs holding them in return for the priority picks given to those clubs, meaning the Bulldogs are unable to rise any higher in the draft order and hold the first tradeable selection with pick No.6.

Reigning premier Brisbane and Fremantle are set for quiet Trade Periods, while West Coast is expected to hit the draft hard, having received both a second and a third-round priority selections.

Irish Docker and tall Aine Tighe – who is yet to debut after two injury-ruined seasons – will be essentially the club's new recruit for the 2021/22 season.

Expansion looms over the upcoming Sign and Trade Period.

Clubs are keen to push up the draft order ahead of potentially compromised future drafts when new sides are introduced, and players who may be considering their future at their current club are mostly content to wait until expansion opens more doors.

There will also be close attention on the tier structure when the CBA is renegotiated for the 2022/23 season onwards, with 22 of 30 current list spots per team tied up with the lower tier three and four pay slots.

Clubs are also able to sign players to two-season deals, although have been told they have to renegotiate the second year if the CBA changes. Players will also be able to walk from their second season if approached by an expansion club.

Key dates for the 2021 AFLW Sign and Trade Period
    Monday, May 31
    Sign & Trade Period commences (12pm AEST)

Wednesday, June 9
    Trade Period closes (2pm AEST)
    List Lodgement #1 (4pm AEST)

Wednesday, June 16
    Re-signing period closes (2pm AEST)
    Restricted Free Agency Period closes (2pm AEST)
    List Lodgement #2 (4pm AEST)

Friday, June 25
    Delisted Free Agency period closes (2pm AEST)
    List Lodgement #3 (4pm AEST)
    NAB AFLW Draft order confirmed

LINK
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

2. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sign and Trade Period preview: Flag Crow wants out, star Tiger to join rivals

Kim Rennie will be a significant loss for us. I thought that our ruck partnership was a real strength when they were both fit.

I don't know much about Elle Bennetts, but if she's a winger that certainly fills a need.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sign and Trade Period preview: Flag Crow wants out, star Tiger to join rivals

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Kim Rennie will be a significant loss for us.
    Agree it will be a big loss. I don't think we'll see a settled team for at least another 10 years.

My vision for the future is that every AFL team has a reserves team and a women's team and we bring back 3 games on the day.
    Ticket pricing will have to go up to cover the 3 and may be you get a discount if you rock up to the gates only for the Seniors.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

DEADLINE DRAMA

The Western Bulldogs and North Melbourne were not able to complete a trade for wantaway Bulldogs ruck Kim Rennie.

As she has been offered a contract by the Dogs, Rennie may have to risk attempting to join North through the NAB AFLW Draft.
    Pick No.28 started with the Western Bulldogs before landing with the Giants in return for Elle Bennetts.

In a separate deal, Collingwood traded picks 26 and 55 for Carlton's picks 29 and 32.

The Blues were then involved in another deal, trading picks 12 and 27 to the Western Bulldogs, receiving picks 11 and 57 in return.

The third pick swap saw the Bulldogs trade pick 12 to St Kilda in return for picks 22 and 25.
    So I think the end result is:
    In: Elle Bennetts, picks 22, 25, 27
    Out: Picks 11, 28, 57
    ?: Kim Rennie
    Last edited by Axe Man; 09-06-2021 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Missed pick 57

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    DEADLINE DRAMA

Out: Picks 11, 28
    I hope we can keep Kim. Don't want to lose a ruck.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    DEADLINE DRAMA

Out: Picks 11, 28, 57
    This seems like a good result for us - essentially pick 13, 15 and 17 in the Victorian draft, plus a best 22 player, in exchange for some similar picks.

Holding Rennie is important for our team. I hope that she stays, but I guess it depends on her reasons for leaving.

Post Thanks / Like

An old friend of mine's daughter plays AFLW. She transferred between two Melbourne clubs just before the virus hit. It's a shame she didn't come to the Bulldogs but at least her new contract got her into the property market.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite