Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  23
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Where's Mitch? Bevo reveals why vice-captain can't get a game

Link

WESTERN Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge says he and Mitch Wallis are on the same page with the veteran needing to deliver consistently to earn a recall.

Wallis starred for the Bulldogs in 2020, topping their goal-kicking, and was named vice-captain before round one this year.

But after a goalless opening two rounds, he hasn't managed to earn another AFL start and was left off the plane with the Bulldogs relocating to Sydney before moving on to Perth later in the week for their Sunday night clash with Fremantle.

Bulldogs great Brad Johnson this week suggested 28-year-old Wallis, who is an unrestricted free agent and off contract at season's end, should look elsewhere if he wanted to play regular senior football.

Beveridge said Wallis didn't have to reinvent his game as a forward, but needed to impress more consistently to win selection.

"Mitch is aiming to be that influential player at state league level and that will be rewarded - we just haven't quite seen that yet and he understands that," Beveridge said on Tuesday.

"The boys who have been selected when there's opportunities have been in our best handful of players at state league level the week before and the three weeks leading up in some cases."

Beveridge used youngster Cody Weightman as an example of a player who had done just that.

The Bulldogs took a squad of 27 on the road, with Wallis among the 18 remaining in Melbourne awaiting news on whether their round-eight VFL clash with Werribee, scheduled for Sunday, will go ahead.

They are using their time away to analyse their 28-point loss to Melbourne, with the top-two clash played last Friday behind closed doors at Marvel Stadium.

Beveridge said they needed to have done better at managing James Harmes' tag on star inside midfielder Tom Liberatore, who was nullified at the stoppages.

"We talked about it and Libba, he likes to fight his own battles, and he was probably isolated and that's not what we do," said the coach.

"Our midfield have been terrific making sure that we get the upper hand when we are tagged.

"They've lost some of their comrades who have been really important for us in Dunks (Josh Dunkley) and Adam (Treloar) so now there's less of a depth of inside mids going through there and we've got to find some boys who are going to support that act.

"We've got a template we work to and we didn't work to that last week and they took advantage."
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks azabob, Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Where's Mitch? Bevo reveals why vice-captain can't get a game

I love Mitch but struggling to see where he fits into this side at the moment. Things change quickly though so you never know.

Glad he acknowledged the lack of protection for Libba. It was pretty stark on the night. Harmes really had an unimpeded run at him and it didn't sit well with me at all.

4. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mitch hasn't been that great at the lower level on what I've seen through TV eyes he needs to be more involved.
    When he's forward he should be much better than the players he's playing against and only looks the goods when he moves to the middle.
    I can understand why he is not getting a game and the likes of Garcia got the nod before him.
    Hopefully he can gain some form and work his way back in.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Link

"We talked about it and Libba, he likes to fight his own battles, and he was probably isolated and that's not what we do," said the coach.

"Our midfield have been terrific making sure that we get the upper hand when we are tagged.

"They've lost some of their comrades who have been really important for us in Dunks (Josh Dunkley) and Adam (Treloar) so now there's less of a depth of inside mids going through there and we've got to find some boys who are going to support that act.

"We've got a template we work to and we didn't work to that last week and they took advantage."
    Seriously comrade, stop bloody posting on woof and get out there and help the midfield group...
    More of an In Bruges guy?

7. Likes josie, Testekill, bornadog, Dry Rot, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Seriously comrade, stop bloody posting on woof and get out there and help the midfield group...
    I have nominated for the MSD however my 8 year contract request may make clubs wary of picking up a podgy 34 year old.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

9. Likes chef, josie, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Also, I feel like they missed a trick with the headline to this article.

His nickname is Wally. It’s right there.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

11. Likes Testekill, soupman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Also, I feel like they missed a trick with the headline to this article.

His nickname is Wally. It’s right there.
    The outsourced intern.....not the guy they usually use did his best to meet your requirements (it now is titled Where's Wallis):

https://www.afl.com.au/news/624492/w...n-t-get-a-game
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    "They've lost some of their comrades who have been really important for us in Dunks (Josh Dunkley) and Adam (Treloar) so now there's less of a depth of inside mids going through there and we've got to find some boys who are going to support that act"
    There's a curly blonde haired bloke that might be able to help with that
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    There's a curly blonde haired bloke that might be able to help with that
    Yeah I’m hoping Mundy has a shocker as well.

15. Likes azabob, Happy Days, boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I have nominated for the MSD however my 8 year contract request may make clubs wary of picking up a podgy 34 year old.
    There has been a logistics error with the Demons relocated game to Sydney this Friday night and they are a player short.

I am the medical sub - look out for a fat old useless bloke.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

17. Likes Happy Days, bornadog, jeemak, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Do not doubt Mitch. Its the bloodlines. ..
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    There has been a logistics error with the Demons relocated game to Sydney this Friday night and they are a player short.

I am the medical sub - look out for a fat old useless bloke.
    Are you Nathan Jones?

20. Thanks Axe Man thanked for this post
    Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that Mitch will get at least one more opportunity this season, but while he was great last year, he was fulfilling the traditional Dogs (AFLM) role of a small playing as our KPF. With Naughton and Bruce doing pretty well, I struggle to see a clear role for Wallis.

He excels when isolated deep one on one, with that rare skill set of marking the ball awkwardly at the final moment while wrestling with his opponent. But we have better contested marks, and Mitch seems unwilling/unable to mark the ball out in front of his face when on the lead, can't kick that far (although is usually an accurate kick for goal), and isn't fast enough to survive on his defensive pressure-skills alone.

He's a very smart player, great with his body, and half-a-dozen years ago or so, looked like he would be a contested beast at stoppages. So he has a diverse skill set, even though limited by a lack of pace and acceleration. I think there's a chance that he can fashion his own role forward where he does enough of various things to be a key contributor. But unless we have a series of injuries, it needs to be a different role to the one that he had last season. And there's also a chance that he's run his race with us, and can offer more to a team lacking senior leadership.
    Although it broke our hearts it did not break our will

22. Likes boydogs, Happy Days, Rocco Jones liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Seems the kind of guy where his limitations are the focus off his play. I reckon he’d be a good mid in a few teams. There are lots of good mids who aren’t super quick. He has a lot to offer I reckon.

That said, he’s in a long queue at the dogs and will prob end up somewhere else next season if he wants to play senior footy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Seems the kind of guy where his limitations are the focus off his play. I reckon he’d be a good mid in a few teams. There are lots of good mids who aren’t super quick. He has a lot to offer I reckon.

That said, he’s in a long queue at the dogs and will prob end up somewhere else next season if he wants to play senior footy.
    I don't think it's a matter of not being capable to play a midfield role, rather, he's not preferred to play a role in there for us and there's a big difference between those two things.