Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  39
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Naughton primed after full pre-season

Link

Rising star Aaron Naughton’s has undoubtedly made his mark – at both ends of the ground – in his first three years with the Western Bulldogs.

He’s done that without a full pre-season under his belt.

In 2021, the 21-year-old is excited to show the footy world what he can do with a complete training block under his belt.

Groin issues curtailed his first pre-season, with knee setbacks the next two.

But Naughton has finally had a good run through the summer months and is already noticing the difference.

“Coming into the AFL, I had some groin injuries and then a few surgeries in my second and third years,” he told SEN on Wednesday.

“To be able to complete a pre-season and to be out training on the track at the best time of the year with the sun out, it just feels nice.

“From training so much in the pre-season, I’m just feeling more physically strong and probably my endurance is the thing that’s really stepped up because I’ve actually been able to be out on the track and train.

“Other years I’ve been trying to catch up and build that fitness for round one, where now I’ve got that body of work behind me.”

Naughton spent 2018 in defence, before swinging forward and kicking 47 goals from 35 games the past two seasons.

Teammate Josh Dunkley believes he’s ready to take another step forward.

“Aaron Naughton’s been going really well,” he said.

“He’s looking really good on the offensive end, so he’s probably our ace at the moment.

“Hopefully no-one can stop him marking contested balls – he’s going to be a powerful asset for us moving forward.”

For Naughton, he’s excited to be back in Melbourne with the prospect of playing in front of the Bulldog faithful.

A hip knock saw him miss last week’s scratch match against Hawthorn, but he’s due back against Melbourne for the AAMI Community Series game on Monday as he gets ready for round one.

“I was a bit sore and we played it safe with that, but I’ll definitely be out there against Melbourne come Monday,” Naughton said.

“We’ll see how we go. We’re treating it like a round one clash to hit the season running so it will be a full outing for us.

“It will be good to finally run out there in round one and actually have some fans there. It’s been a while, so to have the Bulldogs members and supporters there is going to be awesome because we’ve basically missed it for a whole year.”
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Naughton primed after full pre-season

I am hoping he wears that head band in all his games.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Showing my age here, rocking that headband with the long hair, he would not look out of place in a photo with 70's/80's tennis players like Vitas Gerulaitis, Guillermo Vilas, John McEnroe and Bjorn Borg!

5. Likes HOSE B ROMERO, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I honestly believe he is one of the few players in the AFL that can change a game in one quarter and maybe even less.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

7. Likes HOSE B ROMERO, Mofra, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A fit Naughton gets me excited!
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

9. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The player at our club im most excited about, hopefully he completely dominates this year.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

11. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I am hoping he wears that head band in all his games.
    He has the chutzpah to do it.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

13. Likes bornadog, 1eyedog, GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Big year coming up for Naught in 2021.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

BUMP.

Tell you what, he is absolutely fantastic shape. His work up the field and at ground level for a guy that competes and flies for everything is astounding. I am enthralled with his attack on the ball in the air, just the volume of contests he gets to and how often he gets his hands on it is incredible.

he is one of a kind in my lifetime as a Dog's fan.

I can't believe we have a player like him AND the Bont in the squad at the same time.

Post Thanks / Like

All his marks in the Freo game here

Post Thanks / Like

If he actually develops a reliable kicking routine, he could be the best player in the comp, even with Bont alongside him.
    Rare, rare, rare talent.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

He'll win us a final in half a quarter of football one day.

19. Likes SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bring in Barry Hall, kicking coach, shave his head. Done.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

21. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    If he actually develops a reliable kicking routine, he could be the best player in the comp, even with Bont alongside him.
    Rare, rare, rare talent.
    He needs to stride out further on his last couple of steps. We need to get Twodogs to spend an hour with him.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

23. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    shave his head. Done.
    Not with those ears.
    "It's over. It's all over."