Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  27
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

This is our biggest test since October 2016

Win: Finish the round on Top of Ladder with 20% buffer. Plus breathing space within top 2, plus 20%+.

The last time we finished on top Round 14+ was in 1998. The chance to equal this club best for 23 years. We ticked off best start to a season since 1948 earlier this year. Now we have the opportunity to turn best start since 1946 into best ladder position (on top) since 1998. With many games against bottom 6 teams coming up, this could lead us to our first minor premiership.

This is our biggest test since GF day 2016.

Whilst we are travelling to Geelong, it’s a bus trip and not flights and airports. Routines in place. The home ground advantage is watered down significantly by 30,000 fans pumping the pressure on umpires and giving them enthusiasm and momentum banned from attending. Pluses for us include a hard game for them at Port last week, while we are fresh. Plus there’s numerous possible inclusions from Maclean, Richards, Garcia, Lipinski, McNeil, Wood?, Martin?, Jamarra.

Alternatively, lose and we fall back in the pack chasing top 2. Albeit with better percentage.

Huge reward. Huge risk. Huge stakes... Huge Test. I think we are that good. Now it’s time to stand up to the test and be that good.
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 15-06-2021 at 12:54 PM.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

2. Likes GVGjr, KT31, Grantysghost, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: This is our biggest test since October 2016

I know we can do it.

Our midfield have a real challenge on their hands and a lot weighs on their shoulders.
    Last edited by bornadog; 15-06-2021 at 02:04 PM.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I feel jittery too but I think we can sometimes overstate the meanings of every single match. In 2009 I thought we’d banished the Geelong hoodoo at last when we beat them towards the end of the year to establish ourselves as top 4. They still beat us first week in finals. Having said that, with our disappointing efforts v Melb and Richmond it’s important for our credibility and self belief to perform strongly.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

5. Thanks SonofScray thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes and quite simply we are in a great position if we win; on top with only ten matches before finals.
    Over and above that reality is the chance for revenge, to level the ledger somewhat and start a new plot versus Cats and GMBH.
    This is personal and historic.

7. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Realistically we are 1-2 in crunch games this year. I'm not counting the eagles game as it was too early in the season.

This shapes up to be the biggest of the season. We're playing the very team trying to take our top 2 spot away from us. A win gives us breathing space. A loss sends us into the pack and threatens not only a top 4 finish but our credibility as genuine threats.

Win or lose, what I want to see is a solid effort, especially from our mids when they don't have the ball. Our effort was well down in that 1st quarter against Melbourne, but we were also totally outplayed by Richmond for a half and Melbourne for most of the game. Geelong will be no different. Chris Scott is an excellent coach and we all remember what happened last year when we played them. Got out to an early 6 goal lead and still lost. How? Geelong maintained possession. We'll need to be harder and smarter than we've shown in our 2 losses this year. I'm confident we can win if we do that but it's a big question mark for us in crunch games.

Post Thanks / Like

Delving into our records of being top of the ladder from Round 14+ (Deep into the season)

From 1925, Joinging the VFL:

1938 (finals year): Best was second spot on the ladder
    * 1944 (finals year): One Round on top of the ladder
    1945 (missed finals): Best was second spot on the ladder
    1946 (best start to a year): Best was second spot on the ladder
    1953 (prelim year): Best was second spot on the ladder
    1954 (premiership year): Best was second spot on the ladder
    1961 (GF year): None
    1985 (prelim year): Best was second spot on the ladder
    * 1992 (prelim year): One Round on top of the ladder
    * 1997 (prelim year): One Round on top of the ladder
    * 1998 (prelim year): Five Rounds on top of the ladder
    2008 (prelim year): Best was second spot on the ladder
    2009 & 2010 (prelim years): None
    2016 (premiership year): None
    2021: ????

Only just four of our teams/squads in nearly a century has been a top of the ladder at Round 14 onwards, so deep into a season. This team of ours could be just the fifth to do it in our Cubs VFL/AFL history if they take the opportunity Friday night.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

10. Thanks Dancin' Douggy, BornInDroopSt'54 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Huge game to really cement the belief. We need to get the job done in this type of scenario I think, given the Richmond and Melbourne losses.

Post Thanks / Like

Huge match. Would be a big scalp if we got the win down there. Would put us back on top of the ladder. I hope the week off has recharged the batteries and we are roaring to go come matchday.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Realistically we are 1-2 in crunch games this year. I'm not counting the eagles game as it was too early in the season.

This shapes up to be the biggest of the season. We're playing the very team trying to take our top 2 spot away from us. A win gives us breathing space. A loss sends us into the pack and threatens not only a top 4 finish but our credibility as genuine threats.

Win or lose, what I want to see is a solid effort, especially from our mids when they don't have the ball. Our effort was well down in that 1st quarter against Melbourne, but we were also totally outplayed by Richmond for a half and Melbourne for most of the game. Geelong will be no different. Chris Scott is an excellent coach and we all remember what happened last year when we played them. Got out to an early 6 goal lead and still lost. How? Geelong maintained possession. We'll need to be harder and smarter than we've shown in our 2 losses this year. I'm confident we can win if we do that but it's a big question mark for us in crunch games.
    We also had a fair lick of the injury lollie and they simply out ran us.

I know I can be a lot more forgiving of our losses than some/ most here, what I'm looking for though is a four quarter effort where we've shown up, we're competitive and our attention to detail either gets us over the line or theirs does for them. Because that's the difference between good sides who are both up for the task.

The talking heads may make a big deal of the outcome of the game either way, but the reality is we're just beyond the half way mark in the season and there's a lot of water to go under the bridge between now and when the whips start to crack.

As for the OP, our final against St Kilda was our biggest test since 2016 and remains so even to date. However there are parallels and we need to account for ourselves much better than we did in that game.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

If that's too contrary to the OP then here's an alternative, BT you're amazing and we're stoked to have you back posting.

15. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Melbourne game was bigger, we won't be at our best for these games until we get Dunkley & Treloar back
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

17. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Melbourne game was bigger, we won't be at our best for these games until we get Dunkley & Treloar back
    Does having Dunkley and Trelaor back in the future really account for how we show up? I know it's an intangible to an extent, but does a poor showing get excused because we we're undermanned?

19. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Does having Dunkley and Trelaor back in the future really account for how we show up? I know it's an intangible to an extent, but does a poor showing get excused because we we're undermanned?
    I reckon we would stand a little taller with them in the side
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Against Melb we were missing AT, Dunks and Martin.
    Against Rich we were missing English and Dunks.

We haven’t been “full strength” much at all this season. That’s the nature of the beast. Few teams ever are full strength. Injury luck will have a fair say in the season as it always does.

22. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Big game - every chance to beat them with the circumstances. I think we’ll struggle with their forward line whick makes dominance through the middle and efficiency up front more important. Big match. I’ll be happy with a solid effort for 4 quarters - can’t be another game like the demons