Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  27
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: This is our biggest test since October 2016

Stats aren’t everything, but this is interesting. Champion Data say there are for pillars to premiership success: clearances, post-clearance contest numbers, ball movement and defending the opposition’s ball movement…and Geelong is the only team highly rated in On this week’s episode of Pure Footy, analyst Daniel Hoyne said the four “premiership pillars” were clearances, post-clearance contest numbers, ball movement and defending the opposition’s ball movement. Geelong rate best.

The Cats rank second in the AFL for clearances, second for winning post-clearance contests, third for ball movement and fourth for depending ball movement.

The Bulldogs are second on the premiership pillars ladder, ranking No.1 for clearances and defending ball movement and No.3 for post-clearance contests, but No.10 for moving the footy.

Melbourne is third with clearances (No.11) a surprising weakness, while the Lions are fourth despite being the third-worst team in the competition at moving the footy.

I wonder if our “ moving the footy” metric has dropped off relatively recently. Also Melbourne aren’t the great clearance team I thought they were.

www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

2. Thanks josie, bornadog, bulldogtragic, jeemak thanked for this post
    Likes DOG GOD, Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Yep, that's pretty much as bad as it gets for the Demons this year. Never seen a team get such a dream run.
    But Adam Tomlinson is so important to their structure!
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

4. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting analysis bulldogstragic.

Such an open year. Been thinking for a few weeks Geelong look damn good. Will they ever fall off the cliff? Swans with a fit & firing Buddy and more run & carry than in 2016 scary too.

The fact we almost beat Cats at Geelong makes me think if we play with ferocity and kick truly we can beat anyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    But Adam Tomlinson is so important to their structure!
    Haha.

His job was (and Harrison Petty's is now) basically standing in front of his opponent to make sure Jake Lever is on his own.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Haha.

His job was (and Harrison Petty's is now) basically standing in front of his opponent to make sure Jake Lever is on his own.
    Petty is a better player than Tomlinson and has been the whole time; I was really impressed by him as a forward when we played them in 2019 and if he stayed out of their side any longer I was going to advocate for us to look at bringing him in.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    Also Melbourne aren’t the great clearance team I thought they were.
    The other metric is Contested Poss, and Melbourne are ranked first. We are 4th and surprisingly Cats 7th.

I want the win this week as we need to show we can beat the top teams.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

9. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Our ball movement has dropped away for a few reasons.

1- our territory game has dropped away so we are not winning it back where we want .
    2- Teams are refusing to go quick against us when we do get territory. Really trying not to give the ball back to us in bad spots which would allow our half backs to line up and create those scoring chains.
    3-I also think going a bit taller down back at times has had an impact. Daniel moving up field to help cover Treloar/Dunkley would also be a reason.

11. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking at the North Melbourne result and Gold Coast’s first half today puts our recent games against them in perspective. We are not at our best but still finding ways to win, unlike the full strength Dees. Learn from our last meeting and we win tonight.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mitcha View Post
    Looking at the North Melbourne result and Gold Coast’s first half today puts our recent games against them in perspective. We are not at our best but still finding ways to win, unlike the full strength Dees. Learn from our last meeting and we win tonight.
    It's a good point, both teams are performing so our wins were in the end more than decent.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"