Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  40
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Three things you've learned. Round fourteen 2021 v Geelong

1. We can win the whole damn thing. From the second half we have three A graders to put into that side (Dunkley, Treloar, Naughton)

2. Our three tall forward structure works better when we have three tall forwards in it.

3. I'm convinced English is either one of the best forward/rucks in the AFL, or about the 25th best ruckman. I prefer him playing Option A thanks.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    1. We can win the whole damn thing. From the second half we have three A graders to put into that side (Dunkley, Treloar, Naughton)

2. Our three tall forward structure works better when we have three tall forwards in it.

3. I'm convinced English is either one of the best forward/rucks in the AFL, or about the 25th best ruckman. I prefer him playing Option A thanks.
    Tim did get 29 hit outs the most of any player in both teams and had little help from any of our pretend ruckmen. I think we are too quick to condemn his ruck work. Plus he is still learning the trade.

3. Likes SquirrelGrip, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Keath has become one of our top 5 most important players. He manages to square the ledger against those monster forwards, in particular he nullified those scary situations where that big brute rucked in the forward line.

2. Geelong players are among the most entitled in the league. They never ever think a free kick against them is justified.

3. Cordy is our most maligned player. I don’t know what more he could have done than beat his opponent and send the ball forward out of the danger zone. Going to the boundary line would have certainly incurred a deliberate decision against us. The point is more why was their forward line so open, with one on one contests everywhere, should we have flooded back earlier?
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

5. Likes Bullies, SonofScray, Mofra, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    1. Keath has become one of our top 5 most important players. He manages to square the ledger against those monster forwards, in particular he nullified those scary situations where that big brute rucked in the forward line.

2. Geelong players are among the most entitled in the league. They never ever think a free kick against them is justified.

3. Cordy is our most maligned player. I don’t know what more he could have done than beat his opponent and send the ball forward out of the danger zone. Going to the boundary line would have certainly incurred a deliberate decision against us. The point is more why was their forward line so open, with one on one contests everywhere, should we have flooded back earlier?
    It definitely would have but would have given us more time to set up behind the ball. They may have still picked out a marking player inside 50 but it would have been tougher to execute.

Anyway, the loss doesn't fall squarely on his shoulders, the last 3 minutes after the McLean goal was a masterclass in s***ting the bed and that last minute in particular was stunning in terms of our lack of composure.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

1. Tom Hawkins is an unselfish player.

2. Tom Hawkins is a very unselfish player.

3. Tom Hawkins is a really unselfish player.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

8. Likes Happy Days, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    Not really learnings but

1. When we get the overlap handball game running we look better than the best
    2. We have to be in the top 2 teams for finishing games off over 4 quarters albeit the last 40 seconds last night
    3. Anthony Scott’s best game by far. Keep working hard champ
    Agree with what you say about Scott. He often gets targeted but he has done some big jobs - Rich Byrne Jones and Saad come to mind.

10. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Tim did get 29 hit outs the most of any player in both teams and had little help from any of our pretend ruckmen. I think we are too quick to condemn his ruck work. Plus he is still learning the trade.
    Yes, he's learning. And come September he'll still be pretty much where he is now.
    I think our best football this year has been when we've played with the two ruck structure.,
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

12. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. We can go toe to toe with anyone in the league. Game could have gone either way, we'll be alright.

2. Libba is our most important player, need to keep him fit.

3. Sweet must play if Martins out, cant not have the 3 headed monster up forward. Big mistake.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

1. The absence of Dunkley in particular shows just how immature a player B Smith really is. At this stage he is a cream player and needs one extra inside midfielder playing so he can be unleashed on the outside. His inside game atm is putrid and he has not stood up at all this year following Injuries to Ads and Dunks. I’m ok with it because he’s young and developing but he has a lot to improve on.

2. I don’t wanna bash Hannan (actually I do) but it isn’t really fair because it’s not his fault he’s playing it’s an issue at MC level. Hannan is either not good enough or is terribly out of form. He seems to just get in the way of our talls, his set shots are horrendous (on the few occasions he gets an opportunity) and I felt his defensive efforts on Friday were sub-par. He lacks confidence and you can see it on his face. Needs to make was for Wallis (or Schache if we feel we need more Wallis in the midfield until Dunks returns), up forward for a few weeks

3. With Martin, Treloar and Dunkley back, and with a fully fit McLean we can win the flag this year.

15. Likes merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Well I have to be honest and say I thought Bevo's press conference was a bit 'interesting'.
    Yes there may be a fair bit going on behind the scenes as he says. It may be that some footballers face some uncertainty as to when they will see their families for the time being. But they will shortly, no doubt.
    Let's not forget they are well paid and will be flown first class all the way. Also it affects both teams.

As an expat, I haven't seen my family for a year, am unlikely to for the foreseeable future, tickets are up around 20 grand, if you can get one, and the Australian public has 0 sympathy for re-opening borders. Be that as it may, I am glad I am not in India. Fairly sure our players would rather be playing than not, in a job than not.
    I feel for the boys, with their uncertainty, but Bevo might also remind them things could be a hell of a lot worse.

2. Our defensive backs did a great job I thought, from the replay anyway. We will only be better with Woody down there.
    If we can reproduce that effort with Wood, Martin, Josh back in the team, we should be fine to get one back.

3. Chris Scott is an ugly coach. His behavior in the box is annoying. He was a thug as a player, and is a thug of a coach. But I didn't learn that, I just was reminded.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

17. Likes DOG GOD, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Our much maligned back six showed their work ethic is equal to the task against the best.

2. Libba (again) confirmed he is the engine room of this team.

3. The Bont is our best onfield leader since EJ, no question.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Yes, he's learning. And come September he'll still be pretty much where he is now.
    I think our best football this year has been when we've played with the two ruck structure.,
    Agree with this. For sure.

Post Thanks / Like

1 Selwood has always been a dirty thug. That will never change.
    2. Game could have easily gone either way.
    3. With our ins come the finals feel very confident we have Geelong's measure.

Post Thanks / Like

Geelong always out west us.
    Rebrand as Greater Eastern Geelong see how that works.
    Change to the Wolfhounds as our emblem and release a pack of them to run from goal to goal every home game. They run like cheetahs.
    Last edited by BornInDroopSt'54; 25-06-2021 at 07:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Missing multiple easy set shots (Bont, Scott) at crucial times (early last quarter) is costly but that has been known for some time.
    We must hit the post more often than any other side in living memory.
    Geelong are the luckiest side in living memory and also the most arrogant and entitled group I can remember, their coach is a knob and Selwood and Dangerfield expect everything their way and look totally shocked when anything goes against them. They can get stuffed.