Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  13
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers & Anchors: Rnd 14, 2021 vs Geelong

This is the round 14, 2021 edition of the weekly Bankers and Anchors thread. Once the game against Geelong is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
    The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bankers & Anchors: Rnd 14, 2021 vs Geelong

Bankers

1. Libba- off the charts. He singlehandedly kept us in the literal contest, and the next contest, and the next.
    2. Bont- lifted when the game needed him to. Yep he missed a shot. His 9 score involvements more than negated that.
    3. Duryea- he's stepped up where Crozier has fallen away. He's become ultra reliable.

Anchors

1. Crozier- He had a shocker. And must be in danger of losing his spot. He'd become really reliable, but since his injury last year has struggled for consistency
    2.Hannan, really struggling to do the thing's he has to do to keep his spot.

That will do for me. Thought the team gave their all.

3. Likes josie, GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

B

Bruce - 3.1 plus one GA.
    Libba - Freak.
    Duryea - Most reliable defender.

A

Not winding down the clock in the last 90 seconds. I don’t understand why we didn’t kill the clock.
    Missing easy shots. I won’t go too heavy in this thread.
    Hannan. Wallis has you covered and I don’t know how you keep getting selected.
    Crozier. Please go the VFL and work on a fair few problems you have in your game.
    Brian Taylor saying Bruce’s running shot and goal from 50 with no players in the arc wasn’t him going for goal? What was he going for dipshit?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

5. Likes Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good to see the Duryea love. Thought he was outstanding.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Brian Taylor saying Bruce’s running shot and goal from 50 with no players in the arc wasn’t him going for goal? What was he going for dipshit?
    Commentary last night was genuinely atrocious. I don't expect anything of them and they still disappoint me. Makes the whole thing so much less enjoyable.

Bankers:

-Duryea. Has been fantastic, so calm and measured and surprisingly good in the air.
    -Scott. I've been very happy with his season despite not wanting him at all. Yes he missed an important shot but was so close to having a very influential 4 goals in a tight game.
    -Bruce. When he shoots for goal it's a pleasure to watch, and that shot from the boundary was beautiful and the best of the game. Shame the commentators were more interested in something random to talk about it.

Anchors:

-Crozier. Just don't see what he offers atm. No aerial presence, ok at ground level but nothing I wouldn't expect of others, and our least creative or damaging kick. Wood straight in for him please.
    -Bailey Smith. Man he is going so poorly. No ne of the confidence/arrogance he displayed earlier in his career. A liability by foot, can't handball and atrocious at defending a high ball. Needs to improve and quickly.
    -Geelong. What a dislikable club. They have it all, hate their supporters, hate their ground, hate their off field staff, hate the media's perception of them, and have a thoroughly horrible bunch of guys on their list. Hawkins, Dangerfield, Dahlhaus, Rohan and especially Selwood are all so unenjoyable to watch, particularly those last two. FOr both of them to be involved in that last play makes it hurt even more.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

8. Likes Insufficient Intent liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Some very good points being made in this thread

Bankers.
    1. Libba - so courageous and committed
    2. Duryea - four quarters of excellence
    3. Williams - he gains us a lot of metres

Anchors

1 Players slipping over even in the act of kicking
    2 Naughton going down
    3 Allowing them to score 3 goals in quick time
    4 Re-bound goals. Very deflating
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Commentary last night was genuinely atrocious. I don't expect anything of them and they still disappoint me. Makes the whole thing so much less enjoyable.

Bankers:

-Duryea. Has been fantastic, so calm and measured and surprisingly good in the air.
    -Scott. I've been very happy with his season despite not wanting him at all. Yes he missed an important shot but was so close to having a very influential 4 goals in a tight game.
    -Bruce. When he shoots for goal it's a pleasure to watch, and that shot from the boundary was beautiful and the best of the game. Shame the commentators were more interested in something random to talk about it.

Anchors:

-Crozier. Just don't see what he offers atm. No aerial presence, ok at ground level but nothing I wouldn't expect of others, and our least creative or damaging kick. Wood straight in for him please.
    -Bailey Smith. Man he is going so poorly. No ne of the confidence/arrogance he displayed earlier in his career. A liability by foot, can't handball and atrocious at defending a high ball. Needs to improve and quickly.
    -Geelong. What a dislikable club. They have it all, hate their supporters, hate their ground, hate their off field staff, hate the media's perception of them, and have a thoroughly horrible bunch of guys on their list. Hawkins, Dangerfield, Dahlhaus, Rohan and especially Selwood are all so unenjoyable to watch, particularly those last two. FOr both of them to be involved in that last play makes it hurt even more.
    And a FIGJAM for a coach. Talk about rubbing it in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    B
    Add that to Scott's goal later in the quarter, with both prize flogs, BT and Carey insisting it was off the knee.
    Commentary last night was absolutely deplorable, but we have come to expect this low standard.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    Add that to Scott's goal later in the quarter, with both prize flogs, BT and Carey insisting it was off the knee.
    Commentary last night was absolutely deplorable, but we have come to expect this low standard.
    I'm surprised they didn't reject the vision and continue to claim it wasn't a goal.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

13. Likes KT31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

B

Libba - is there a player like him in the AFL at the moment?
    Bruce and Weightman are real forwards, we just need 4 more
    Duryea and Williams must be near the top of the comp for the positions and roles

A

One ruck policy does not work, even against a side with ordinary rucks
    Hannan's selection remains a mystery to me
    We have players like Crozier and B Smith who should be sent to the 2s to work on things, but injuries preclude this. B Smith should get a haircut like R Smith, and I mean it. Needs an attitude change.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers
    Liberatore - elite commitment courage and skill.
    Toby McLean's first game back was pretty good.
    Roarke Smith impresses with his 1%'ers that go unnoticed.

Have to have one more, Alex Keath did a damn good job on Hawkins.

Anchors
    Hannan and JJ did not offer a lot, Stewart took 13 backline marks and was seemingly unaccountable.
    Not being able to ice the clock hurt a lot, we were the better team imo, perhaps inexperience.
    Geelong,100% can't stand them, club, players, ground.
    Last edited by westbulldog; 20-06-2021 at 10:04 AM.

16. Likes Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

To top it off we had Daisy who hates the Dogs. Some of the things she said were so biased
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

18. Likes KT31, SquirrelGrip, Bulldog4life, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

1. Fantastic running goal from Bruce. Because he isn't Buddy he won't get the praise. In fact Bruce's set shot kicking has been sublime.

2. Libba - what a machine, what hands, what a star.

3. Macrae, tireless work, 35 disposals again.

Anchors

Last minute of the game, very disappointing the players didn't follow instructions, which was to create stoppages.

Injuries again.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers:

- We were within a few seconds of one of our biggest wins in recent times, with a team that is dealing with a lot of uncertainty about whats next and where to. It was a good performance.

- Libba was particularly brilliant.

- Duyrea - is in really good nick at the moment.

Anchors:

- Hannan - I don't care what his numbers look like - but he has make the chances he does get to impact the game, count. Had some ordinary involvements.
    - Bailey Smith - has been going ordinary for quite some time now.
    - Conceding goals in red time. 3 in Q2, 1 very late in Q3.....and of course one after the final siren. Ultimately cost us the game.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

- Roarke Smith has lost his deer in the headlights sheen and is winning me over with his competitiveness
    - Bruce stepped up in the ruck and up forward when we lacked talls
    - Bailey Williams was at his best with his strength and composure in the air and when being tackled

Anchors

- Missing easy shots in the 4th
    - Not icing the game
    - Crozier looks lost out there
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff