Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  28
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Moment: Rnd 14, 2021 vs Geelong

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Yeah although last night was not a night that suited his floating pack mark style.

Honestly I think the ruck thing is overblown. English was ok, we weren't killed in the ruck (English got a career high hitouts) and it wasn't like Geelong gained an ascendency there. They played Ratugolea as their sole ruck and he is no more a ruck than Tim. Besides what were our alternatives, Martin is a decent ruck but may have struggled in the conditions and we always lean small when in doubt and the conditions last night created a lot of doubt as to how many talls you could carry. Sweet is the other option and I'm not sure he would've given us any benefit. He is a non factor around the ground, not influential ith his tap work and not exactly in form either.

On top of all that McLean came in and was very positive imo. I thought the one ruck call was the least of our problems.
    No they didn't, Blicavs had 26 hitouts.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah although last night was not a night that suited his floating pack mark style.

Honestly I think the ruck thing is overblown. English was ok, we weren't killed in the ruck (English got a career high hitouts) and it wasn't like Geelong gained an ascendency there. They played Ratugolea as their sole ruck and he is no more a ruck than Tim. Besides what were our alternatives, Martin is a decent ruck but may have struggled in the conditions and we always lean small when in doubt and the conditions last night created a lot of doubt as to how many talls you could carry. Sweet is the other option and I'm not sure he would've given us any benefit. He is a non factor around the ground, not influential ith his tap work and not exactly in form either.

On top of all that McLean came in and was very positive imo. I thought the one ruck call was the least of our problems.
    I think it is not so much the ruck call, but more to the fact having English forward as the third tall and not having to ruck the majority of the game would have been a better outcome for us.

I thought English did ruck well, and we won the clearances including centre with some good work from him.

The three games we have lost have all been without Martin.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

3. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    No they didn't, Blicavs had 26 hitouts.
    Good point. Although I believe he mainly rucked against our other guys (which I know is your whole point) but I still think we don't gain as much with Sweet and Martin was the easiest tall to drop considering the conditions which I think was the right call to do.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

I don’t think that is a coincidence.

BDSM/English > Sweet/English > English/Bruce with JUH or Schache pairing Naughton forward > English and Dunkley or whoever else.

The first two options are palatable. The rest can be deployed, without being catastrophic, but it really does leave us vulnerable. Would rather we just stuck with the traditional look.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Martin played against Richmond
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

Good point. Although I believe he mainly rucked against our other guys (which I know is your whole point) but I still think we don't gain as much with Sweet and Martin was the easiest tall to drop considering the conditions which I think was the right call to do.
    If we have 2 rucks English chops out so he is mostly forward who then draws a decent opponent, most likely Stewart. Take all those intercepts away and the mood in here is a lot different.

Martin was not dropped he was injured. If they voluntarily dropped him then our coach has learnt nothing of past mistakes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Seriously if we end up 3rd and them 2nd and we have to play the first final at that dump I’ll be livid.
    This is the difference, if we finish 2nd and Cats finish 3rd we play home final at Marvel Stadium.
    Cats finish 2nd and we finish 3rd, the Cats and AFL will go full guns a blazing trying to justify a home final against us at Crapterie.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    This is the difference, if we finish 2nd and Cats finish 3rd we play home final at Marvel Stadium.
    Cats finish 2nd and we finish 3rd, the Cats and AFL will go full guns a blazing trying to justify a home final against us at Crapterie.
    If crowds are possible, they won't play a final between 2 Vic teams at Marvel. It'll be MCG all the way.

If crowds aren't allowed in Melbourne but they are regionally and we finish 2nd, I can see it being moved interstate. If we finish 3rd, I can see it being played in Geelong.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    Martin played against Richmond
    Actually you are right, however, that should read when Martin and English are in same team we haven't lost
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

11. Likes SquirrelGrip, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The moment Daisy Pearce said with 5 minutes to go the Bulldogs were running on top of the ground and the Cats were struggling we were doomed. How often does a comment like that go the other way.

13. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know why we kept going long down the line with 1:00-1:30 to go, should have iced it
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff