Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  35
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 41
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,321
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Moment: Rnd 14, 2021 vs Geelong

    Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I can't work out why we had so many forward with less than a minute to go with the lead.
    That coupled with the fact players thought there was two minutes to go I think our time management at the end there was way off.

    This loss is getting worse as time passes.
    Yeh I don't want to rewatch it to figure out what went wrong but it looked like we had the outnumber at the contest, which meant that we absolutely could not let it out on a fast break.

    But also when it did get out, we were outrun. By Rohan and Guthrie definitely, and a couple of others who I can't remember. Disappointing but not world-ending. We're still a very good team.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    27,249
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Moment: Rnd 14, 2021 vs Geelong

    I watched the last two minutes. Cordy had next to chance to do much else other than get tackled I50. Not ideal if it’s HTB or giving them a chance at a set play. But Scott had multiple shorter options. At least 50 seconds of circle work opportunity. The other missed chance was Weightman’s kick into Dale I50. If he hits Dale on the chest he winds down 30 seconds and Dale is 100% goal accuracy this year.

    Basically couldn’t have handled it any worse.
    Sam Power: Great Sage, Equal Of Heaven

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    The Kennel
    Posts
    4,117
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Moment: Rnd 14, 2021 vs Geelong

    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I watched the last two minutes. Cordy had next to chance to do much else other than get tackled I50. Not ideal if it’s HTB or giving them a chance at a set play. But Scott had multiple shorter options. At least 50 seconds of circle work opportunity. The other missed chance was Weightman’s kick into Dale I50. If he hits Dale on the chest he winds down 30 seconds and Dale is 100% goal accuracy this year.

    Basically couldn’t have handled it any worse.
    Youre a braver man than I BT watching that back

    Scott and Weightman less than 20 games between them. Hopefully a learning experience and they can be better next time around.

  4. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
  5. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    E.J. Whitten Stand
    Posts
    15,408
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Moment: Rnd 14, 2021 vs Geelong

    The moment was when Bevo decided to go in with English as a solo ‘ruck’ (and I use that word loosely). Scott would have been laughing and Stewart licking his lips knowing he had less talls to contend with. This then cascaded when Naughton went down, and our structure completely fell apart for most of the night as Bruce was taken out of the F50 (how many times did we have a 3 or 4 on 1 to kick to?). Macrae and Hannan also had to throw themselves into the meat grinder throughout the night.

    The lads did well to get so close with effectively one hand tied behind their back.
    Last edited by comrade; 19-06-2021 at 01:43 AM.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

  6. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    27,249
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Moment: Rnd 14, 2021 vs Geelong

    Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Youre a braver man than I BT watching that back

    Scott and Weightman less than 20 games between them. Hopefully a learning experience and they can be better next time around.
    I stopped when he marked it, to be fair. That’s all nice and stuff, but fact is we blew a crucial game that was crucial for finishing top 2. 8 points turnaround and lost 5% too. Not shitting the bed next time is fine, but doesn’t really help now. It’s not just the loss and how it happened, it’s how it impacts the top 4 and our ambitions for top 2.
    Sam Power: Great Sage, Equal Of Heaven

  7. Likes Sedat, bornadog liked this post
  8. #21
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    4,394
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Moment: Rnd 14, 2021 vs Geelong

    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I stopped when he marked it, to be fair. That’s all nice and stuff, but fact is we blew a crucial game that was crucial for finishing top 2. 8 points turnaround and lost 5% too. Not shitting the bed next time is fine, but doesn’t really help now. It’s not just the loss and how it happened, it’s how it impacts the top 4 and our ambitions for top 2.
    Absolute kick in the guts. Only a win over the eagles can help heal the wound at this stage. If this game costs us top 2 to the very team that beat us....

  9. #22
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    4,394
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Moment: Rnd 14, 2021 vs Geelong

    Seriously if we end up 3rd and them 2nd and we have to play the first final at that dump I’ll be livid.

  10. #23
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,281
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Moment: Rnd 14, 2021 vs Geelong

    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Seriously if we end up 3rd and them 2nd and we have to play the first final at that dump I’ll be livid.
    This is where I get caught looking too far ahead, but this is my fear too. If we get drawn them in the QF as the lower ranked and any kind of Melbourne restrictions are still in play they’ll schedule it down there.

    How 60 seconds can potentially ruin a (year) night
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

  11. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,716
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Moment: Rnd 14, 2021 vs Geelong

    Not blaming Scott, but the long kick to a contest with a minute to go in hindsight was the wrong option. That said he had people around him and no one said don't go long. The backward/sideways kick was always a better option, though it was hard to see who was running for him.

    Hard to blame Cordy, won a pressure ball that would have led to an open goal otherwise and was under pressure. Whilst he probably should have gone to the boundary line, I just don't think he had the time to think with the pressure he was under.

    Finally, the 2 set shot misses were in hindsight killers....nail one of those and we are 2 games clear on top

  12. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Bendigo
    Posts
    7,648
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Moment: Rnd 14, 2021 vs Geelong

    Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    The moment was when Bevo decided to go in with English as a solo ‘ruck’ (and I use that word loosely). Scott would have been laughing and Stewart licking his lips knowing he had less talls to contend with. This then cascaded when Naughton went down, and our structure completely fell apart for most of the night as Bruce was taken out of the F50 (how many times did we have a 3 or 4 on 1 to kick to?). Macrae and Hannan also had to throw themselves into the meat grinder throughout the night.

    The lads did well to get so close with effectively one hand tied behind their back.
    This. Little things can cost you in close ones and while we had a chance to win had the structure been in place we may have been in a much better position. Martin was never going to play last night, Sweet should have been there. English third tall up forward, Stewart accountable. Maybe that could have been the difference.

  13. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    E.J. Whitten Stand
    Posts
    15,408
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Moment: Rnd 14, 2021 vs Geelong

    Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    This. Little things can cost you in close ones and while we had a chance to win had the structure been in place we may have been in a much better position. Martin was never going to play last night, Sweet should have been there. English third tall up forward, Stewart accountable. Maybe that could have been the difference.
    Got no doubts it would have been.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

  14. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    12,565
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Moment: Rnd 14, 2021 vs Geelong

    Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    The moment was when Bevo decided to go in with English as a solo ‘ruck’ (and I use that word loosely). Scott would have been laughing and Stewart licking his lips knowing he had less talls to contend with. This then cascaded when Naughton went down, and our structure completely fell apart for most of the night as Bruce was taken out of the F50 (how many times did we have a 3 or 4 on 1 to kick to?). Macrae and Hannan also had to throw themselves into the meat grinder throughout the night.

    The lads did well to get so close with effectively one hand tied behind their back.
    I don’t buy that and think our forward line functioned better in the 2nd half when it was undersized… and whilst English has had some good moments as a forward he’s been bloody ordinary too on occasions and had no positive influence in the air last night either… even when he was forward of the ball.

  15. Likes SquirrelGrip liked this post
  16. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    E.J. Whitten Stand
    Posts
    15,408
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Moment: Rnd 14, 2021 vs Geelong

    Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I don’t buy that and think our forward line functioned better in the 2nd half when it was undersized… and whilst English has had some good moments as a forward he’s been bloody ordinary too on occasions and had no positive influence in the air last night either… even when he was forward of the ball.
    He’s always ineffective forward/in the air when forced to ruck 80% of the game.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

  17. #29
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Lombok, Indonesia
    Posts
    2,836
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Moment: Rnd 14, 2021 vs Geelong

    There are so many moments in a loss like this. Any one of a dozen would have got us the win had it gone our way. The moment that will stick in my memory bank was Josh Bruces's long goal from the boundary. He had one option, took it and nailed it.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

  18. Likes 39 Memories liked this post
  19. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,961
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Moment: Rnd 14, 2021 vs Geelong

    Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    He’s always ineffective forward/in the air when forced to ruck 80% of the game.
    Yeah although last night was not a night that suited his floating pack mark style.

    Honestly I think the ruck thing is overblown. English was ok, we weren't killed in the ruck (English got a career high hitouts) and it wasn't like Geelong gained an ascendency there. They played Ratugolea as their sole ruck and he is no more a ruck than Tim. Besides what were our alternatives, Martin is a decent ruck but may have struggled in the conditions and we always lean small when in doubt and the conditions last night created a lot of doubt as to how many talls you could carry. Sweet is the other option and I'm not sure he would've given us any benefit. He is a non factor around the ground, not influential ith his tap work and not exactly in form either.

    On top of all that McLean came in and was very positive imo. I thought the one ruck call was the least of our problems.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

  20. Likes The bulldog tragician liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •