Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  12
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: So, how do we get to Perth??!!

Because neither of those things conform to the WA policy of having a week's worth of quarantine for arrivals from Victoria. The reason it worked before was because WA were allowing teams to quarantine (a softer quarantine) in other states for a week before flying in to Perth for the game. NSW was the only state Vic teams could go to in order to have the softer quarantine but the breakout there over the past week has changed the way WA deals with NSW arrivals, so that was no longer an option.

We can argue all we want about the WA government and their standards but whilst it is what it is, the only options were a neutral venue (which WCE was never going for), or postponing the fixture, which I presume the AFL weren't going to accept.

2. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by divvydan View Post
    Because neither of those things conform to the WA policy of having a week's worth of quarantine for arrivals from Victoria. The reason it worked before was because WA were allowing teams to quarantine (a softer quarantine) in other states for a week before flying in to Perth for the game. NSW was the only state Vic teams could go to in order to have the softer quarantine but the breakout there over the past week has changed the way WA deals with NSW arrivals, so that was no longer an option.

We can argue all we want about the WA government and their standards but whilst it is what it is, the only options were a neutral venue (which WCE was never going for), or postponing the fixture, which I presume the AFL weren't going to accept.
    A week's quarantine means nothing with this virus. Singapore are doing three weeks now, given the new variant. Can't believe that is not occurring here yet (aside from not having dedicated quarantine facilities yet).

Post Thanks / Like

As of today besides flying fron interstate we have no restrictions at all. Everything back to pre covid. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

5. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danny the snakeman View Post
    As of today besides flying from interstate we have no restrictions at all. Everything back to pre covid. Fingers crossed it stays that way.
    That is great Danny.

Now the focus is on NSW, and looks like Sydney and GWS will need to figure out what is happening in the next few weeks.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Does that means our guys get their freedom?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    If so, we probably could have stayed in Melbourne all week and just gone there tomorrow.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

As far as I know, WA still has restrictions in place for travellers coming from Victoria. 14-day quarantine still required (although it can be self-quarantine, which we can't obviously do) so I don't think anything has changed for us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Not a chance. The border in WA is more tightly controlled than Berlin at the height of the cold war. They may as well just secede already.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Not a chance. The border in WA is more tightly controlled than Berlin at the height of the cold war. They may as well just secede already.
    I checked the WA gov website and Victoria is classified as low-risk and NSW medium-risk. They come with 14-day quarantine and banned entry respectively. Funnily enough there was no high-risk, but I do wonder what that would entail.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    I checked the WA gov website and Victoria is classified as low-risk and NSW medium-risk. They come with 14-day quarantine and banned entry respectively. Funnily enough there was no high-risk, but I do wonder what that would entail.
    Heavy artillery.

13. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    To be fair, it's pretty hard to actually FIND the border to WA.

They don't really need to 'protect it' as the only way you can get in is via the airport...people 'driving across' are - BEST CASE SCENARIO - a solid 20 hour drive from hitting Perth....and most of that drive is through a scrubby desert featuring some massive eagles that 'perch' atop 1m high shrubs as that is the tallest thing that can grow. Not sure what they are looking for as I think they exist solely based on the carcasses of Kangaroos that have been hit by road trains...

The story at the moment is that Freo will need to quarantine for 14 days when they return home from this weekends game...BUT that restriction will be lifted (in theory) on Wednesday when the border to Victoria will (in theory) be re-opened.

The AFL is certainly running pretty close to the wire with the fixture right now and the compromises being forced upon some teams is really unfair. Brisbane copped it, Richmond copped it, we are copping it and Freo are just about to cop it.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

15. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    To be fair, it's pretty hard to actually FIND the border to WA.

They don't really need to 'protect it' as the only way you can get in is via the airport...people 'driving across' are - BEST CASE SCENARIO - a solid 20 hour drive from hitting Perth....and most of that drive is through a scrubby desert featuring some massive eagles that 'perch' atop 1m high shrubs as that is the tallest thing that can grow. Not sure what they are looking for as I think they exist solely based on the carcasses of Kangaroos that have been hit by road trains..
    This is just about right.

A mate of mine does some risky stuff and this is his story.

His daughter moved to Denmark (near Albany) early this year , but with a lockdown coming had to move fast, so she left her car at her dad's place. My mate said no problems I will drive it across to her and it may be some fun. He filled out the paperwork, and put the reason down as freighting a car. He got the approval and off he drove across the Nullabor from Melbourne.

He gets to the border and of course he is stopped and not allowed through. He tried to convince the border control he has approval, but they didn't want to have a bar of it and knocked him back - no sympathy for driving all that way either.

He then had to turn around and come back, however, when he got to Adelaide he arranged a freight truck to take the car. to his daughter's place.

He certainly had a quite an adventure, on his own for over a week.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

17. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    This is just about right.

A mate of mine does some risky stuff and this is his story.

His daughter moved to Denmark (near Albany) early this year , but with a lockdown coming had to move fast, so she left her car at her dad's place. My mate said no problems I will drive it across to her and it may be some fun. He filled out the paperwork, and put the reason down as freighting a car. He got the approval and off he drove across the Nullabor from Melbourne.

He gets to the border and of course he is stopped and not allowed through. He tried to convince the border control he has approval, but they didn't want to have a bar of it and knocked him back - no sympathy for driving all that way either.

He then had to turn around and come back, however, when he got to Adelaide he arranged a freight truck to take the car. to his daughter's place.

He certainly had a quite an adventure, on his own for over a week.
    But on the plus side, not a single voice for most of a week.
    "It's over. It's all over."

19. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    As far as I know, WA still has restrictions in place for travellers coming from Victoria. 14-day quarantine still required (although it can be self-quarantine, which we can't obviously do) so I don't think anything has changed for us.
    Couldn't half the team have stayed with Tim English's parents and the other half stay with Aaron Naughton's parents?
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite