Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  70
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee - Round 16 Vs North Melbourne 2021

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I think this week is ripe for Lewis Young. Defensively, our backline has been rock solid in terms of stopping goals, spoiling, guarding the right spaces, making it hard for opposition forwards to find room. But we just don't intercept it enough in D50 and it's one of the hallmarks of the other contenders. Yesterday for example:

Defensive Half Contested Marks
    WB: 2
    WC: 10

Imagine how much more potent Dale, Williams and Daniel would be with a capable interceptor winning back the ball and distributing it to the runners. And when we're under the pump like in the Richmond game, having someone who can clunk it back there gives us another weapon in the arsenal to withstand the pressure.

I really think we need to get another look at him for a few weeks.
    That was absolutely our best defensive performance for the year, and not that the two are linked at all (honestly I promise this isn't morbid sarcasm) but it was actually more impressive after Gardner's injury. I think that, knowing we were a key defender short, we adjusted to place more emphasis on defence between the arcs, and West Coast had nothing for it. Seriously, Lachie Hunter, intercept marker? Who knew!

So I too think this is a perfect set up for Young, whose strengths (intercept marking and general attack on the ball) will be suited and his weaknesses (one-on-one defending, and associated rusted on desire to play 2m in front of his man and have mark of the year taken on him) hidden.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I think this week is ripe for Lewis Young. Defensively, our backline has been rock solid in terms of stopping goals, spoiling, guarding the right spaces, making it hard for opposition forwards to find room. But we just don't intercept it enough in D50 and it's one of the hallmarks of the other contenders. Yesterday for example:

Defensive Half Contested Marks
    WB: 2
    WC: 10

Imagine how much more potent Dale, Williams and Daniel would be with a capable interceptor winning back the ball and distributing it to the runners. And when we're under the pump like in the Richmond game, having someone who can clunk it back there gives us another weapon in the arsenal to withstand the pressure.

I really think we need to get another look at him for a few weeks.
    I think the stats are pretty skewed by us winning the inside 50s by 60-38. I'd expect the coaches will be looking at opposition marks inside 50 rather than how often we are intercept marking. Last three weeks have been 9,11,9 (when we've taken 19,11,16).

I don't really see the case for Lewis Young myself.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    That was absolutely our best defensive performance for the year, and not that the two are linked at all (honestly I promise this isn't morbid sarcasm) but it was actually more impressive after Gardner's injury. I think that, knowing we were a key defender short, we adjusted to place more emphasis on defence between the arcs, and West Coast had nothing for it. Seriously, Lachie Hunter, intercept marker? Who knew!

So I too think this is a perfect set up for Young, whose strengths (intercept marking and general attack on the ball) will be suited and his weaknesses (one-on-one defending, and associated rusted on desire to play 2m in front of his man and have mark of the year taken on him) hidden.
    Compare us to who I consider the gold standard this year in Melbourne (yes, I know we've conceded less)

They had Tomlinson and now have Petty as a strictly lockdown deep defender. Basically, our equivalent to Cordy.

May takes the best forward generally and likes to stay deep but can also move higher and attack the ball in the air if given the chance. Basically a slightly better version of Keath.

Lever is the POD. He kind of takes the third tall or a mid sized forward, but generally just follows the ball path and sits in the dangerous spot inside 50. We don't have an equivalent.

Lewy Young is no where near Lever, of course. But if he could give us some of that intercepting and generate turn overs, it'll improve us, especially against good sides who pile on pressure and try to generate repeat inside 50 stoppages by bringing the ball to the ground.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

We don't defend in the same way as Melbourne though, and Cordy doesn't play deepest, Keath does.

I agree that Melbourne are the gold standard for defence - but they have better tall defenders, its just a fact. But we've never played with a 'sweeper' type behind the ball like Petty is playing as we try to play the front half game and minimise inside 50s.

I don't think we crowbar Young into the side because he has some attributes similar to Lever.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I clearly know nothing because I thought Hannan made a solid impact here and there - particularly early - but he only touched it for actual disposals seven times......again.

He'll still be in the side next week, we'll wonder why but get over it when we win.
    Yeah nah that's a no from me. We can be better.

In terms of our CHB woes I feel we'll try Young again at some stage because Cordy as our second tall is simply not a long-term option. And it's not a finals option. We all know he's going to get monstered at some stage and the consequences could be dire.

If Naughton isn't going back (and there's absolutely no way he should), it leaves Bruce (third on the Coleman and Naughton's decoy), or Young to fill the void. There is a spot for Young as an interceptor / third man up to help an under-manned Cordy. We're not crowbarring Young into the side because he's like Lever, his chance is now because we have no Gardner, no Wood and Crozier is out of form. There is no-one else.

I can't see there being much of a choice?

6. Likes ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    We don't defend in the same way as Melbourne though, and Cordy doesn't play deepest, Keath does.

I agree that Melbourne are the gold standard for defence - but they have better tall defenders, its just a fact. But we've never played with a 'sweeper' type behind the ball like Petty is playing as we try to play the front half game and minimise inside 50s.

I don't think we crowbar Young into the side because he has some attributes similar to Lever.
    Which is fine against sides we can dominate in the midfield but 2 of the 3 games we've lost this year (Richmond and Geelong), we've also lost the inside 50 count. Against those sides, intercept marking options in D50 becomes important.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

As we are playing North and their forward line is not as tall, Crozier comes in for Gardener. I would also bring in Wallis for Hannan, both playing the same role, but Wallis has more versatility. I soooo want to see JUH debut, but not this week; earn the spot.
    WOOF Member 422

9. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    As we are playing North and their forward line is not as tall, Crozier comes in for Gardener. I would also bring in Wallis for Hannan, both playing the same role, but Wallis has more versatility. I soooo want to see JUH debut, but not this week; earn the spot.
    It may not be at all this year then. We have two key forwards absolutely killing it at AFL level and Schache kicking big bags in the VFL. Marra is a fair bit off the pace.

Also, sorry you didn't get an opportunity to go with your pup. Must have been disappointing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    What would your changes be?
    The same. I normally struggle with Bevo's selections (overall have appreciated what we have achieved under him) but really have faith this season. I know, easy when we are 11-3.

The ins I had included Lewy Young. I really hope we give him a shot vs North.

Post Thanks / Like

Hannan needs to be dropped and find some form in the VFL.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

13. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

North have Larkey and Xerri and could swing Josh Walker forward to try and stretch us. Zurhaar plays tall at times too. I don't think they're short in the F50 althogh of their tall forwards Larkey is the only one who could really get us. Xerri I like but is a developing ruck/forward and Zurhaar's one-wood is aggression, not ability.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    Yeah, nah... Crozier has been poor this year and was rightfully omitted. He shouldn't get a free ticket back into the team due to an injury and needs to earn it back with some good form at the lower level.

16. Likes The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    It may not be at all this year then. We have two key forwards absolutely killing it at AFL level and Schache kicking big bags in the VFL. Marra is a fair bit off the pace.

Also, sorry you didn't get an opportunity to go with your pup. Must have been disappointing.
    I think we will have a chance this year to play all three forwards ... Naughts, Juice and JUH; just not this week.

It was really disappointing, but the result and opportunity for us both to skite makes up for it somewhat.
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Yeah, nah... Crozier has been poor this year and was rightfully omitted. He shouldn't get a free ticket back into the team due to an injury and needs to earn it back with some good form at the lower level.
    Whilst I agree with you, I think the horses for course mantra will see him come back in to play on the smaller forwards of North.
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Yep. Going Crozier throws out the balance/mix which has been working well a bit too. Would definitely bring him in if at his best but he isn't.