Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  61
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee - Round 17 Vs Sydney Swans 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Bruce participated in 1 centre bounce and a total of 2 ruck contests for the entire game, can't blame that for him missing a goal.

I couldn't care less who kicks the goals, I hope we design a game plan to win, not ensure our key forwards kick goals.

I'm not against Sweet coming in this week but it's not as straightforward as you suggest, there are a few potentially viable options.
    All true, but since Martin has had injuries the team has had less possessions, down from near 400 to 350. Puts more pressure on the team defending top spot. Who was ruck when Macrae and Libba combined for over 70 possessions a few weeks back. Sweet, still our best option. Young also looked promising on Sunday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    when Sweet got beaten by Gawn, English and Bruce were still able to contribute 5 goals. Since both have been used as ruck they have contributed a total of 2 in a fortnight. Bruce showed the effects on Sunday by missing a sitter (from YoungÂ’s mark in Q4)

We need to have both English and Bruce doing what they do best. Dominant forwards and a losing ruck are preferable to having a losing ruck and ineffective forwards. Especially with the loss of Naughton.

We risk seeing a cascade of negatives if we donÂ’t restore what worked previously. Sweet should be selected against Swans.
    Sweety got 2 coaches votes against Ryder it must be remembered. I think that who it was.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't mind English going head to head against Hickey. I don't think we are going to gain anything bringing in Sweet and think he actually provides us with less flexibility. Hickey has been in the system a long time and is experienced and playing well but he's not a bullocking type that Tim can struggle with. He likes space and likes to jump at the ball. Tim's been better in the ruck over the past few weeks I'd like to see how he goes .

4. Likes Ghost Dog, boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Sweet is just not ready and showed that against Soup on the week end. However he needs more and more exposure so maybe this week is a good time?
    In my opinion we should have chased big Tom instead of Martin. or better still not given him away.

My point is not about having a winning ruck, other teams have better. It is about team stability.

Sweet has had a handful of games and has been very serviceable in all but one. And the team did benefit from his presence.

6. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I don't mind English going head to head against Hickey. I don't think we are going to gain anything bringing in Sweet and think he actually provides us with less flexibility. Hickey has been in the system a long time and is experienced and playing well but he's not a bullocking type that Tim can struggle with. He likes space and likes to jump at the ball. Tim's been better in the ruck over the past few weeks I'd like to see how he goes .
    Tim had 17 hitouts against Goldstein and 9 possessions. Sweet had 17 hitouts against Gawn and 3 possessions. Both fails.

Who is better? Gawn or Goldstein. .????

Tim doing well. Sweet bad beyond belief.

Post Thanks / Like

All true, but since Martin has had injuries the team has had less possessions, down from near 400 to 350. Puts more pressure on the team defending top spot. Who was ruck when Macrae and Libba combined for over 70 possessions a few weeks back. Sweet, still our best option. Young also looked promising on Sunday.
    We also had Dunkley & Treloar in the team at that point who rack up the possessions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    We're getting minimal from English as a first ruck though - very little marking around the ground and no impact forward, which is where he is most dangerous.

Goldstein comfortably beat English (scored 2.1 with 14 touches and 30 hitouts vs 0 score, 9 possessions and 17 hitouts)and whilst the ruck can be mitigated somewhat by our midfield's ability to adapt, it's still not ideal and moreover it still makes us less dangerous forward.

That's without mentioning Naughton isn't playing this week.

I think we simply have to play Sweet.
    W00F!

10. Likes Dry Rot, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    We also had Dunkley & Treloar in the team at that point who rack up the possessions.
    When Dunkley had his highest possessions count for the year (38) Sweet was the ruckman.

Relevant? Don’t know, but interesting.

Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion we should have chased big Tom instead of Martin. or better still not given him away.

My point is not about having a winning ruck, other teams have better. It is about team stability.

Sweet has had a handful of games and has been very serviceable in all but one. And the team did benefit from his presence.
    Just noticed that Campbell had 19 possessions and 8 marks against Collingwood a few weeks ago. 6th for possessions and 2nd for marks in the team. Never understood why his talent wasn’t developed at the Dogs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    We're getting minimal from English as a first ruck though - very little marking around the ground and no impact forward, which is where he is most dangerous.

Goldstein comfortably beat English (scored 2.1 with 14 touches and 30 hitouts vs 0 score, 9 possessions and 17 hitouts)and whilst the ruck can be mitigated somewhat by our midfield's ability to adapt, it's still not ideal and moreover it still makes us less dangerous forward.

That's without mentioning Naughton isn't playing this week.

I think we simply have to play Sweet.
    It will be interesting to see what we do. I'm not enamoured with Sweet but as you say if we feel that English can make a contribution forward then I agree that Sweet needs to be looked at.

IMO Tim has stunk it up playing forward since his concussion. I wonder whether Bevo will consider Schache or simply move Young forward if we don't bring Sweet into the side.

At least we have options!

Post Thanks / Like

Just noticed that Campbell had 19 possessions and 8 marks against Collingwood a few weeks ago. 6th for possessions and 2nd for marks in the team. Never understood why his talent wasn’t developed at the Dogs.
    If you have a guy with his level of mobility you need some pretty valuable attributes to mitigate what you lose by having a statue in your team for 3 phases of the game. Performances say he doesn’t have any of those valuable attributes or certainly not at the level you would need.

15. Likes EasternWest, Axe Man liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    If you have a guy with his level of mobility you need some pretty valuable attributes to mitigate what you lose by having a statue in your team for 3 phases of the game. Performances say he doesn’t have any of those valuable attributes or certainly not at the level you wou ld need.
    Martin has taken 8 marks for the season and not had 19 possessions in a game. Comparison says he Campbell probably does.

Post Thanks / Like

Martin has taken 8 marks for the season and not had 19 possessions in a game. Comparison says he Campbell probably does.
    The stats that don’t show up is negating your opponent and that is what we want Martin to do, so our mids can mop up
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The stats that don’t show up is negating your opponent and that is what we want Martin to do, so our mids can mop up
    Agreed. And I think Sweet has done that in all but the Melbourne game. Dunkley (38) and Macrae (41) and
    Libba (31) had stunning games when Sweet played. I think all were personal bests for the season so far.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd be inclined to play Sweet this week and have English mostly forward. Thats solely due to Naughton being out and nothing to do with solo ruckman strategy. We need English to be our down the line option if we are held up in the back half.

20. Likes Bullies, boydogs, DOG GOD liked this post