Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  104
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee - Round 18 Vs Gold Coast Suns 2021

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    I agree with the in between parts but not the end RJ!
    Which part do you disagree with? I am being quite neutral and unsure if I am being unclear.

Post Thanks / Like

More what I think will happen than what I’d do

In: Dunkley, McNeill, Naughton
    Out: Wallis, Hannan, JUH

If they’re not comfortable with Dunks straight in, then McLean for Wallis.

Can’t see JJ copping it for that outing, as bad as it was.

Big week coming up, hoping a bit of weekend sunshine might lift them
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    The ruck call is not a decision between right or wrong but one between bad or worse.

Burgess actually makes me more open to playing Sweet as it brings in his ability to win hitouts against poor/non rucks. Against a semi-decent AFL ruck, he gets beaten in the contest then is a liability elsewhere. The irony is that if we play him against the Suns, he will be up against a far inferior player in the ruck contest than his previous 3 VFL opponents.

Sweet was so poor in the first half that we had to move him to keep us in a VFL game. I get Sinclair is AFL level-ish but that's concerning short term (I am overall please with Sweet's progress). Thought Sweet fought back well after moving forward and was better in the ruck later on.

I get both sides of the argument but don't get how you can be strongly one way or another. Both options are bad and more about extracting things elsewhere. As stated previously by others, a mature ruck would be nice. Doesn't have to that good.
    TBH I thought Young was ok as a ruck, just not very good forward of the ball (and I don't have much faith in him behind the ball either). If we are bringing in ruck support for English, Young is ahead of Sweet on current form.

Naughton in is a no-brainer and I love Wally but he's just not fitting in with our current gameplan.
    Naughton for Wallis is my change with Young to take more first ruck duties and English to spend more time forward. JUH is raw as hell and not ready but he had a couple of better touches at the start of the last quarter and I'd be really tempted to give him one more game.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Bevo just about stamped Marra's papers in his presser when he was asked whether he'd get another go. Referred to John Northey's philosophy of always giving a kid 2 games and that he didn't agree with that. Reckon there is absolutely no chance he plays next week.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Bevo just about stamped Marra's papers in his presser when he was asked whether he'd get another go. Referred to John Northey's philosophy of always giving a kid 2 games and that he didn't agree with that. Reckon there is absolutely no chance he plays next week.
    Hooray, another week of Hannan.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    TBH I thought Young was ok as a ruck, just not very good forward of the ball (and I don't have much faith in him behind the ball either). If we are bringing in ruck support for English, Young is ahead of Sweet on current form.

Naughton in is a no-brainer and I love Wally but he's just not fitting in with our current gameplan.
    Naughton for Wallis is my change with Young to take more first ruck duties and English to spend more time forward. JUH is raw as hell and not ready but he had a couple of better touches at the start of the last quarter and I'd be really tempted to give him one more game.
    Yeah I agree with all that. Maybe Marra joins the group and is a medi-sub? Thing with Lewy, do we maybe bring in Crozier to help out down back?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    English played as a forward against Melbourne and we still got beat pretty comfortably so whilst we threw Melb the challenge, they still had our measure.

And to your last point the opportunity for a ruckman to influence a game is much greater than a small/medium forward... agree that those 3 in particular aren't giving us what we need and should be replaced by like types moving forward, but I don't think we can view the impact they have on the game the same.
    We did but I thought our structure looked good - English kicked 2 goals and had 15 touches. Sweet was poor, but this is kind of my point - our structure looked better and Melbourne couldn't cover all of Naughton, Bruce and English. We just didn't play well collectively, but I'd rather lose like that than lose in a method we've lost by for 3+ years. Not saying we lost yesterday because of English, but our entire structure looked crap. We had no aerial presence anywhere on the ground.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Bevo is pretty frank with that kind of stuff. Not sure if the reference was his own or if asked of him. He is type of guy who just gives him opinion. I agree with him re: Northey. Back in those days you could have Marra playing 15-20 mins total game time too. All that being said, you're probably right.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post

Totally agree Young was actually pretty decent in the ruck. Most impressed I'd been with him. Used his body well and timed his taps. Your suggestion is very astute.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    Which part do you disagree with? I am being quite neutral and unsure if I am being unclear.
    A little tongue in cheek, but more that I disagree with the notion about not being strong on a point either way. I just think that we know what we get when we go in with yesterday's structure i.e. 'makeshift' - we lose out in multiple areas of the ground. If Sweet's getting beaten in the ruck, at least we give ourselves a chance when we go forward if English is there and especially yesterday when there was no Naughton.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Totally agree Young was actually pretty decent in the ruck. Most impressed I'd been with him. Used his body well and timed his taps. Your suggestion is very astute.
    I think Young has been solid in these two games, especially considering he hasn't been able to settle into one position. As a young fringe player trying to find his way, that's not ideal.

The problem is that when Young goes into the ruck, Cordy is our second key defender and we know how that goes. Even yesterday, Cordy was outpointed/outmarked by the likes of Hayward and Amartey.

If that situation happens against the top 3-4, we're in more trouble.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

When your better players are out and others aren't at their best, it really exposes your 'depth' guys. I guess a few questions come up. Should we be playing role specific guys? Should we be bringing in players who might be 'better' individual player and can get more involved in the game/less likely to be a passenger? Are we playing the wrong role guys? It's hard. VFL such a difference.

For mine I think Wally just doesn't offer us enough. Hannan I get we like how he can push up a bit more, speed and all that. Just his KPIs seem very low to me. I am open to Bevo being able to prove to me via footage or what not his value to the side. I get it's not all about what's obvious but I also honestly don't think he gives us enough. Scott the same boat but I guess I see more of the defensive side. Still, with him needing to shift back week before and being poor, I don't see that value. Marra I think we are a bit too win now to play him. I am not a subscriber to belief that being omitted is automatically a blow to belief/lack of faith. I think we can handle it positively and a good learning experience for him. Naughts coming back, it being a one game thing etc. I thought Bevo's comments on Marra were right.

Bevo mentioned something about winning/experienced guys, forget his wording and perhaps not reading it right but I think we will go with guys who can be involved/less likely to be 'passengers'.

Out- Wally, Hannan, Scott, Marra
    In- Dunks, Naughts, Crozier (helping free Lewy to ruck/a senior guy who can get involved), McNeil (a bit of speed, maybe just replacing a role guy who does little for a different role guy who does little but I think has a point of difference)

Medi-sub: Marra/Lip

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    A little tongue in cheek, but more that I disagree with the notion about not being strong on a point either way. I just think that we know what we get when we go in with yesterday's structure i.e. 'makeshift' - we lose out in multiple areas of the ground. If Sweet's getting beaten in the ruck, at least we give ourselves a chance when we go forward if English is there and especially yesterday when there was no Naughton.
    Ha yeah I don't really like centrism so fair enough. More that I can get Sweet playing and not playing. One is bad and the other is worse. I am with Mofra and Lewy is our best ruck option at the moment regardless.

14. Likes The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If we drop Marra, then he should go back to the VFL to get game time
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    If we drop Marra, then he should go back to the VFL to get game time
    Yeah, that's probably right. I mean if we want to give him the experience of being with the AFL guys. I am not sure he offers us much value short term anyway and can give him rest of the season in VFL + start again during the pre-season.