Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  104
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee - Round 18 Vs Gold Coast Suns 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    In round 12 against Fremantle Gardner came back from injury and had 3 possessions. He clearly wasnÂ’t match fit but was lauded for meeting all his KPIs. Can someone please explain how. That will help this contributor understand selections.

Just donÂ’t do it by simply saying each of his possessions is worth 4 of YoungÂ’s.

Similarly, Against Sydney
    Young had 13 possessions, 9 hitouts, 6 one %ers and a goal.
    Bruce had. 8 possessions, 0 hitouts, 0 one %ers and a goal.

And I am the only person who canÂ’t see how YoungÂ’s performance is vastly inferior.

On second thoughts, donÂ’t bother.
    The issue isn't about possessions.
    If it was Dale Morris would not have got to 20 games.

Selection is surely about meeting the team objectives and the assigned individual role.

Gardner, when he plays is clearly meeting the requirements as a tall defender with an ability to negate. Our small rebounders seem to play better when Gardner plays.

With Young, it seems that others need to cover his competitive deficiencies and that reduces their positive impacts.

These nuances will not show in stats and without a comprehensive understanding of team requirements, we are all guessing.

Personally I see Young's best efforts occurring when he rucks, but he is way short of what we need for that position.

He may find a side that plays him to his strengths, but that won't be a side coached by Luke Beveridge.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

2. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    T
    Gardner, when he plays is clearly meeting the requirements as a tall defender with an ability to negate. Our small rebounders seem to play better when Gardner plays.
    Agree - Gardner has only lost 1, one on one whilst playing this year. He is doing his job
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Young is being crucified, how can Hannan, for example, be given multiple games for 3/5 of 5/8 of sfa output when Young isn't given a similar opportunity. A Cordy at chb in any final will cruel our chances imo. The only thing Cordy has done is several years was to put Callan Ward out of that final. Sweet is also being pilloried by all and sundry including the MC (who is on it btw?). How can these kids improve if they aren't given a decent run at it. I hope Marra plays every game.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westbulldog View Post
    Young is being crucified, how can Hannan, for example, be given multiple games for 3/5 of 5/8 of sfa output when Young isn't given a similar opportunity. A Cordy at chb in any final will cruel our chances imo. The only thing Cordy has done is several years was to put Callan Ward out of that final. Sweet is also being pilloried by all and sundry including the MC (who is on it btw?). How can these kids improve if they aren't given a decent run at it. I hope Marra plays every game.
    It's not important if you do or not, but see my post from the last page. The feedback mechanisms don't leave stuff to chance by and large at AFL clubs these days. Whether the metrics are fair to begin with probably warrants debate, but each player would well and truly know what they need to do to get a game or otherwise.

The days of Derek Kickett not knowing why he didn't play in a grand final are done and dusted, each player knows what they need to do to get a game and why they don't get a game.

It's just we don't, the media doesn't, and we think it's bullshit because of it.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    I would love to know the selection rationale behind Young's omission. I actually thought his intensity had improved in his last couple of outings.
    I wonder if its more of a straight up match up issue. Gold Coast aren't blessed with ruck options nor heaps of tall forwards.
    I like the last few games version of angry Young. He is a bit more aggressive and is prepared to throw this body around ( not much of it in terms of weight at the moment). Was hoping he get a few decent run of games, but MC think otherwise which is disappointing.

In today's world of KPIs and metrics , how much is it affecting a player development for someone like Young? I see him someone who probably needs a good 50 games under his belt before he finds his feet. Shane tuck is a good example of sticking with a player.

Sports science vs lack of training in kicking, has really seen kicking quality/conversion drop, is another example.

Honestly not a fan of Young being dropped, and MC have got it wrong here. GC is exactly the type of team you want Young to perform, as there is less pressure due to the quality of opposition. Let him play on instinct. Sure he will make mistakes, but he will learn from them and get better. What makes me putrid is when players lack effort and application in their game. From last week's evidence of Young, his honestly looks to be trying.

I really feel for the bloke. Hopeful he games back an angrier person, and starts throwing his weight around.

I would be surprised if his still here next season.
    Last edited by macca; 16-07-2021 at 03:38 AM.

7. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wondering whether the thinking has changed around 3 tall defenders. It’s really only Geelong left in the top 5 with the ability to stretch us this way. Injury at Brisbane and West Coast dropping away may have changed things.

Adding to that our ranking for ball movement has plummeted recently. Are we making an adjustment to our mix/philosophy behind the ball to get our transition with ball working again? Does seem to always be Young but maybe that’s part of it and we want to make sure we have enough mobility/ball use to test the opposition on rebound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    Wondering whether the thinking has changed around 3 tall defenders. It’s really only Geelong left in the top 5 with the ability to stretch us this way. Injury at Brisbane and West Coast dropping away may have changed things.

Adding to that our ranking for ball movement has plummeted recently. Are we making an adjustment to our mix/philosophy behind the ball to get our transition with ball working again? Does seem to always be Young but maybe that’s part of it and we want to make sure we have enough mobility/ball use to test the opposition on rebound.
    Maybe, but adding Crozier does nothing for our ball movement out of the defensive half. He’s not a run and carry type, and regularly just punts it long down the line. He’s also prone to slowing down switch plays with his decision making.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

10. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I really want Lewis Young to make it with US and no one else. He is still young. If not this year, we must keep him and only make a decision on him after he has been given a decent crack at it.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post

Melbourne are currently playing McDonald, Ben Brown and Luke Jackson as a forward/ruck.

Perhaps we've looked at 3 KPDs and now prefer the 'Gilbee' strategy (at least, until Gardner is back).
    Fun fact: in 2009, Lindsay Gilbee was the only Bulldogs player to play on an opposition ruckman from every opposition team.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    I really want Lewis Young to make it with US and no one else. He is still young. If not this year, we must keep him and only make a decision on him after he has been given a decent crack at it.
    I really have doubts about him behind the ball
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder what Hannan did different against the Swans than in previous weeks that earned him a spell?

Maybe it was that we decided to stick with JUH.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    A couple of years back he was seen as an emerging intercept type defender.
    He might be one of those promising types that never quite delivers on his ability.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I think we all have our doubts, but have those doubts been proven?

And in fairness other players within our defensive group are making vital errors each week, but don't seem to come under the same scrutiny at the selection table.

17. Likes The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I think we all have our doubts, but have those doubts been proven?

And in fairness other players within our defensive group are making vital errors each week, but don't seem to come under the same scrutiny at the selection table.
    Agree. He’s been hard done by, and how is he meant to improve if not being given a good go. Gardner goes out. Young should be in until Gardner is fit to return. At least Young can mark the ball. Something Cordy/Gardner very rarely do. I really feel for him.

Crozier is back to throw himself at contests. Will be watching to see how many times he butchers the ball to warrant that selection.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    Agree. He’s been hard done by, and how is he meant to improve if not being given a good go. Gardner goes out. Young should be in until Gardner is fit to return. At least Young can mark the ball. Something Cordy/Gardner very rarely do. I really feel for him.

Crozier is back to throw himself at contests. Will be watching to see how many times he butchers the ball to warrant that selection.
    Crozier has had two big games in the VFL and deserves his spot
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

20. Likes SquirrelGrip liked this post