Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  104
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee - Round 18 Vs Gold Coast Suns 2021

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Crozier has had two big games in the VFL and deserves his spot
    Some guys play more than 2 games to get recalled though.
    Let’s see if he’s learnt anything in those 2 weeks.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

What exactly does Crozier offer the team that we don't already have?

Post Thanks / Like

Young undoubtedly has some questions about him behind the ball, but for me most of those are about him as a number one key defender in opposition to big forwards. In the current construction of our backline there’s no need for him to play this role.

He’s shown himself to have quite a bit of potential as an interceptor, something that we’re really missing and could be quite a weapon. I really want to know what he’s not doing to even get a look in because it’s pretty frustrating to have to continue to guess.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

4. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He's been OK and is a proven player. I guess we either bring him back or leave him in the VFL
    Hopefully he is now in better form.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    We have a number of similar players which is a bit of a problem.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I really have doubts about him behind the ball
    I have bigger doubts on Cordy who also lacks pace and versatility.

I like Crozier but he has had a very ordinary year. His timing has gone out the window as has his decision making process. He's turned into a 5'11 spoiler who kicks down the line whenever he gets it. Actually he's turned into Easton Wood minus the explosive pace.

8. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I really have doubts about him behind the ball
    I'd really love to see him hit a contest full bore and smash the ball away with his fists, but I'm not sure that's his game.

Maybe he's just not elite at anything a tall needs to be. Like a tall Lipinski.

Post Thanks / Like

Regarding Young, I can understand the arguments about him not meeting KPIs and that we don’t know what these are, but I think these must be much harder to meet and measure for a player that played 3 different roles. At least with, say, Mitch Hannan, as a defensive forward, these must be simpler and more straightforward (to him and the coaches, not necessarily us). It’s harder when Lewy is thrown around. We’d all agree his best game this year was when he played all game as a defender v Brisbane.

My other question is about continuity and time. Ok, he presumably did things last week that didn’t meet what the coaches wanted from him, but he never seems to get the opportunity to keep addressing those by an extended period in the team. Just dropping him seems like a blunt instrument, unless he is a completely intransigent and uncoachable guy, and can’t help with confidence which is so much a big part of the battle for emerging players.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

11. Likes macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Also Sam Day is out so maybe Lewy just doesn't have a match up this week and has been told we're happy what you are doing but we're sitting you out this week.

Cordy does seem to be a better match up for Burgess.

13. Likes bornadog, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    Some guys play more than 2 games to get recalled though.
    Let’s see if he’s learnt anything in those 2 weeks.
    He is an experienced player

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    HB flanker with experience
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    Regarding Young, I can understand the arguments about him not meeting KPIs and that we don’t know what these are, but I think these must be much harder to meet and measure for a player that played 3 different roles. At least with, say, Mitch Hannan, as a defensive forward, these must be simpler and more straightforward (to him and the coaches, not necessarily us). It’s harder when Lewy is thrown around. We’d all agree his best game this year was when he played all game as a defender v Brisbane.

My other question is about continuity and time. Ok, he presumably did things last week that didn’t meet what the coaches wanted from him, but he never seems to get the opportunity to keep addressing those by an extended period in the team. Just dropping him seems like a blunt instrument, unless he is a completely intransigent and uncoachable guy, and can’t help with confidence which is so much a big part of the battle for emerging players.
    Does Lew Young work hard enough in a game and follow coaches instructions?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I get the angst with the Lewy omission, I disagree with it but I feel it's more an accumulation thing rather than this week's selection (which is fair enough and I know a lot would say it's that anyway).

Lewy is still 22. I get if he wants to leave but see it a bit greyer than him just being treated like crap. He has played 5 games this season after just 1 the season before. It's about what happens next for mine. If he is named as a sub, it shows he is really in the thoughts. If he plays against taller opposition etc.

Again, I get why posters are annoyed, I am too but I am not at 'just don't bother and bag your bags today Lewy' stage.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    Regarding Young, I can understand the arguments about him not meeting KPIs and that we don’t know what these are, but I think these must be much harder to meet and measure for a player that played 3 different roles.
    This is an excellent point. It's my issue with the omission.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    It's not important if you do or not, but see my post from the last page. The feedback mechanisms don't leave stuff to chance by and large at AFL clubs these days. Whether the metrics are fair to begin with probably warrants debate, but each player would well and truly know what they need to do to get a game or otherwise.

The days of Derek Kickett not knowing why he didn't play in a grand final are done and dusted, each player knows what they need to do to get a game and why they don't get a game.

It's just we don't, the media doesn't, and we think it's bullshit because of it.
    ......And we similarly could not comprehend how the MC determined that Dunkley was suitable to be a second ruck. The feedback "mechanisms" as you call them resulted in Dunkley wanting to leave. The MC are given too much credence at times, akin to Chief Health Officers in every State ("don't touch the football").

Post Thanks / Like

Does Lew Young work hard enough in a game and follow coaches instructions?
    Maybe not, but that’s my question(s)…could he get the chance to do better in a run of matches, and given he’s switched around a lot, is it also possible it’s harder to meet what the coaches want of him?
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic