Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  104
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee - Round 18 Vs Gold Coast Suns 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    You would?
    Ha! Changed that as I posted it. I’d have him out now. I think it makes our fwd line still unbalanced, but better balanced than with him in it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    I think Young has been solid in these two games, especially considering he hasn't been able to settle into one position. As a young fringe player trying to find his way, that's not ideal.

The problem is that when Young goes into the ruck, Cordy is our second key defender and we know how that goes. Even yesterday, Cordy was outpointed/outmarked by the likes of Hayward and Amartey.

If that situation happens against the top 3-4, we're in more trouble.

from bornadog (Footscray thread)

Josh Schache (15 disposals, 11 marks, one goal) was important floating between attack and defence.

Big man Jordon Sweet (31 hit-outs, two goals) was important in the ruck and around the ground,

Seems like either or both could help fix what was glaringly obvious yesterday- total lack of the structure that got the team to the top of the ladder.

That was 3 talls coordinating well in the forward line (allowing smalls to stay down).
    Ruck whose job is to Â’bodyÂ’ opposition ruckman (does not matter if he wins or loses)
    2 tall defenders as as key position. (Cordy is third defender).

Most of this was missing yesterday (apologies to Young who tried to do all three).

Post Thanks / Like

Our forward line looks impotent without Naughton and English, and if we agree with that two things have to change. We need a ruck alternative to allow Tim to go forward, and a forward to make way for Aaron. Sweet would not be the first player to get a game, on the strength there is really nobody else who can realistically perform the role. It might not be a reward for good form, but needs must.

Unless Hannan is doing something to instruction that we are not aware of, then he (for me) is the obvious out. Personally I wouldn't drop Marra, but I would advise some caution about getting involved with social "influencers" if he is serious about his football. Happy snaps after a bad defeat is not a good look, IMHO.

Finally there is no doubt that Dunks is an mid field upgrade over almost anyone, Bont, Libba or Macrae excepted. Baz returned to good form, and it would be unthinkable to drop him. With English going forward its probably a choice between Wallis and JUH to make way. So Wally gets to wear the sub vest, and I hate that. He just might be able to re-invent himself as a niche sub (a la Gia).

Considering the mount of incoming, unpressured deliveries inside the Swans F50, the backline held up reasonably well defensively, however it was severely underperforming when it came to inducing turnovers and spring boarding attacks. Run and carry has traditionally been JJ's territory, but that is something we currently are not seeing from him. Richards is the most likely to inherit this role.

For mine its Sweet, Naughton and Dunks in. With Hannan, Wallis (sub) and JJ out.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    Personally I wouldn't drop Marra, but I would advise some caution about getting involved with social "influencers" if he is serious about his football. Happy snaps after a bad defeat is not a good look, IMHO.
    Weird comment. He just played in his first ever AFL game, surely he is entitled to celebrate that even if the team did lose. It isn't like he is throwing shakas with a dejected Zaine Cordy in the background.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

5. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope JUH gets another game and I think him getting a taste of a road trip with the team can’t be a bad thing. Playing GC with a smaller crowd etc. couldn’t hurt.

Post Thanks / Like

The VFL side will be going to GC too, so Marra gets the experience of travelling with AFL crew either way.

8. Likes The Adelaide Connection liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Jon Ralph reporting both Naughton and Dunks will be back this week.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Jon Ralph reporting both Naughton and Dunks will be back this week.
    Music to my ears.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    I get Sinclair is AFL level-ish
    If there are no other alternatives or very ordinary ones, would you be up for getting Sinclair in to replace Martin next year?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

In: Naughton, Dunkley, McNeil

Out: JUH, Wallis, Garcia

I like Garcia but we need to get McNeil back into our forward half mix. He didn’t do much on the scoreboard but was an important part of the side when we were travelling well. His energy important. Garcia has a future at the level no doubt.

Wallis / Dunkley a straight swap and easy one.

JUH - would love for him to play another game, but this is now cut throat, must win for top 2. He’s had a taste, let’s back him in to go back to VFL for a couple more weeks and if we don’t see any improvement from Hannan, and JUH has runs on the board, we can make the swap. Hannan beats him on sheer work rate and versatility for now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post

I like Garcia but we need to get McNeil back into our forward half mix. He didn’t do much on the scoreboard but was an important part of the side when we were travelling well. His energy important. Garcia has a future at the level no doubt.

Wallis / Dunkley a straight swap and easy one.

JUH - would love for him to play another game, but this is now cut throat, must win for top 2. He’s had a taste, let’s back him in to go back to VFL for a couple more weeks and if we don’t see any improvement from Hannan, and JUH has runs on the board, we can make the swap. Hannan beats him on sheer work rate and versatility for now.
    Pragmatic changes GD.

Did you give thought to keeping Garcia and not JJ?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

14. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post

McNeil is an interesting one. When we are at our best, we have players breaking the lines - VDM, Treloar and McNeil with his "McSteals" were a dynamic counterpoint earlier in the year. Richards is also capable of this, whereas JJ has maybe done it in only two games this year.

It's an important feature when we are at playing well, and is a role we need covered.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

16. Likes GVGjr, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Pragmatic changes GD.

Did you give thought to keeping Garcia and not JJ?
    I think JJ just edges him out and it’s probably a slightly different role they play in any event. We need JJ to use his speed to chase and close down, and to be forward of the ball closing in on the goal square as we transition forward. He can be a difference maker, but he’s just floating a bit at the moment. I’m confused about what we are asking him to do, but if we get it right and keep it simple he’s part of our best side.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    McNeil is an interesting one. When we are at our best, we have players breaking the lines - VDM, Treloar and McNeil with his "McSteals" were a dynamic counterpoint earlier in the year. Richards is also capable of this, whereas JJ has maybe done it in only two games this year.

It's an important feature when we are at playing well, and is a role we need covered.
    Yes, a few bigger names moved ahead of him but their form has lapsed and McNeil needs to come back in now. He’s refreshed and ready to go.

19. Likes SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Naughton for Wallis

Dunks for Hannan

Marra stays in.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

21. Likes Happy Days liked this post