Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  104
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee - Round 18 Vs Gold Coast Suns 2021

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    Where to start with this one ?!
    I'm pretty happy with the changes.

The MC has us second with a 11-4 record. They are doing ok.

Clearly Young is not doing what is required. I don't get the fixation with him. He is tall and can take a mark in the backline. If he was also able to play his part in our team defense he wouldn't be getting omitted.

Looks like Bruce will do some ruck work. I am ok with that to. We will still have three talls when he is rucking and after last week the run around won't hurt him.

just my thoughts.
    The Angels have the phone box. Don't blink!

2. Likes Bullies, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lewy really struggled to fit last time we played Suns. Don't get me wrong I'd have played him as a ruck but they don't really have a ruck either and aren't tall forward besides King.

4. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Last week I was full of self adulation in correctly picking the changes.

I’m now firmly back in the WTF section… our treatment of Young is beyond embarrassing. If only he was named Zaine and not Lewis.

As per our posters comments it’s time for Lewis to clean out his locker and head to a club where he’s given the same opportunities as the rest of the group as it’s clearly not the case at our club.

6. Likes G-Mo77, Dry Rot, DOG GOD, westbulldog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Before I Die View Post
    Dunks covers Libba

Naughton covers Wallis

McNeil covers Scott

Crozier covers Young

Roarke covers Hannan
    It may be a moot point as none of our stalls have consistently impacted the scoreboard, but Wallis, Scott and Hannan have more runs on the board than McNeil and Roarke. I was calling for McNeil in (so happy with that) but he hasn’t been a player who has kicked multiple goals.

Anyway, it was working well earlier in the year and may again. Midfield will need to hit the scoreboard. Let’s see how we go…

Mainly upset about Lew tbh.

Post Thanks / Like

Young dropped is pretty bloody annoying. On what basis did Cordy out perform him? Nevermind the fact we've used Young in 3 areas of the ground.

We're second on the ladder, I get it, but how Cordy and Hannan continually get game after game while Young plays fine and gets dropped after 2 weeks AGAIN is utterly ridiculous.

We will not win a flag with Cordy as our second key defender. Not now, not ever.
    W00F!

9. Likes Mantis, Dry Rot, westbulldog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    In: Josh Dunkley, Hayden Crozier, Aaron Naughton, Roarke Smith
    Out: Tom Liberatore (managed), Lewis Young, Mitch Wallis, Anthony Scott, Mitch Hannan
    I'm ok with those changes. Young doesn't quite do it for me, I know I'm probably in the minority but I feel he just really lacks body impact for a big guy and finds himself out of position a bit.

Still in surprised a little with Gardner out, match ups?

Considering he played every position last week it seems the coaches just can't settle on a spot for him.

Good that JUH is getting another go.

Wallis mightve played his last game for us.
    Last edited by Grantysghost; 15-07-2021 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Phone

Post Thanks / Like

Sheesh-agree with comments about Lewy Young. Thought he was ok. Much higher benchmark for him. Seems so unfair. Really hope he carves a good career and is given more opportunities to do so. Looks like it’s not with us. Could it be GC are a shorter side? What are their rucks like?

12. Likes G-Mo77, westbulldog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully Libba comes back next week and it's just a genuine rest.

Crozier in is meh, was in terrible touch before getting dropped and while he is getting plenty of it at VFL, still making some bad errors. Would prefer Young any day of the week for his height and versatility. A backline with Keath, Cordy and Crozier switching play gives me the sweats.

And looks like we're going with English/Bruce/Macrae/Dunkley as ruck options which is exciting.

So yeah, obviously Naughts and Dunks are great ins but a monkey could have made those decisions. Not overly rapt with what we're doing at the fringes.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I'm ok with those changes. Young doesn't quite do it for me, I know I'm probably in the minority but I feel he just really lacks body impact for a big guy and finds himself out of position a bit.

Still in surprised a little with Gardner out, match ups?

Considering he played every position last week it seems the coaches just can't settle on a spot for him.
    Maybe our coach could play him in 1 position and give him a decent run of games there instead of playing him in multiple positions in one game then dropping him for it. It's going to hurt watching another key defender walk away for nothing and do well elsewhere.

15. Likes westbulldog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would love to know the selection rationale behind Young's omission. I actually thought his intensity had improved in his last couple of outings.
    I wonder if its more of a straight up match up issue. Gold Coast aren't blessed with ruck options nor heaps of tall forwards.

17. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Maybe our coach could play him in 1 position and give him a decent run of games there instead of playing him in multiple positions in one game then dropping him for it. It's going to hurt watching another key defender walk away for nothing and do well elsewhere.
    Yes I agree with you there, it really can't hurt to play him for an extended period in one position. Clearly we don't know what happens off field etc, and although I don't rate him highly (yet, he's young) whilst Gardner is out it's a pragmatic idea. But, I'm not agast at him being dropped either.

Apart from what I see, what do others think are the main reasons for his omission?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Sheesh-agree with comments about Lewy Young. Thought he was ok. Much higher benchmark for him. Seems so unfair. Really hope he carves a good career and is given more opportunities to do so. Looks like it’s not with us. Could it be GC are a shorter side? What are their rucks like?
    Gold Coast are a very short team
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Yes I agree with you there, it really can't hurt to play him for an extended period in one position. Clearly we don't know what happens off field etc, and although I don't rate him highly (yet, he's young) whilst Gardner is out it's a pragmatic idea. But, I'm not agast at him being dropped either.

Apart from what I see, what do others think are the main reasons for his omission?
    I just looked through Gold Coast's lineup, they're not blessed with loads of talls up forward or ruck, and it looks to me as if we really want to beat them with our run and pressure. It may be as simple as there just not being a natural matchup.

21. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Likes Happy Days, Go_Dogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    I just looked through Gold Coast's lineup, they're not blessed with loads of talls up forward or ruck, and it looks to me as if we really want to beat them with our run and pressure. It may be as simple as there just not being a natural matchup.
    Seems like the clubhouse leader so far. Wonder if he travelled.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Yeah I’m pretty sure that’s the reason. I just think it blows and we’re gonna belt them anyway, and think Young could be really good in a position of need for us. It’s really frustrating.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -