Thanks Thanks:  28
Likes Likes:  165
Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819202122 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee - Round 19 Vs Melbourne 2021

I don’t see us having a player to curb Fritsch. Can see him getting 8+ marks and 4 goals.
    If Cordy is the man, then help me god.

I don’t care how tall we go in, but if we just bomb it in hoping for Naughton, Bruce, Schache or JUH taking a contested mark, then we’ve lost before the game begins.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Luckily it’s gonna be wet, otherwise I could see Ben Brown having a Majak Daw game.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    Luckily it’s gonna be wet, otherwise I could see Ben Brown having a Majak Daw game.
    As much as I don't really rate Ben Brown anymore I don't think a player that has kicked +60 goals 3 times can have a Majak Daw game.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m baffled. I get that we’re trying to avoid May and Lever mark everything. But with the wet what happens when the ball hits the deck.

Oh for a zippy half forward… I’d have much preferred McNeil in the team.

In Bevo we…are perennially puzzled.

Something about this match is filling me with foreboding. Not in great form, signs of fatigue, playing a top of the table match at the G with no crowd, several of our best unavailable, selection mysteries, and a match where we need to confirm we are in that same bracket as Melb and Geelong. Gee what could go wrong…
    Last edited by The bulldog tragician; 23-07-2021 at 05:45 PM.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

5. Likes Mantis, DOG GOD, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    Something about this match is filling me with foreboding. Not in great form, signs of fatigue, playing a top of the table match at the G with no crowd, several of our best unavailable, selection mysteries, and a match where we need to confirm we are in that same bracket as Melb and Geelong. Gee what could go wrong…
    O, ye of little faith ... Mind if I join you?

7. Likes The bulldog tragician liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When the club has actively targeted and traded in a player from another club, it has clearly - in the eyes of the MC – been for a specific purpose and the MC has then backed them in and given them clear preference at selection. In just about every case – during Bevo’s time – this has worked out well. At least for a while. Clearly Hannan falls into this category. He hasn’t justified it yet, but the MC must see him as a player who can improve our team and they are determined to give him that chance.

I find the selections strange, but I am buoyed by the fact that they are so strange that they must be part of a plan. Bevo hinted at this in his presser. I wonder if the MC are struggling to come up with a way to overcome Melbourne’s defensive structure and want to test out a theory before we face them in a do or die finals game.

I have been trying to guess what that plan may be, and have realized that I have NFI.
    The Angels have the phone box. Don't blink!

9. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Guys, Bevo has been formulating a plan for this very game since the siren went in round 11 and all that scheming and wargaming has led him to Josh Schache. Say what you will, bloke has cohones the size of grapefruits.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

When you see Sweet a broken player in the VFL despite a great start in the AFEL, and now seeing Schache as the likely second ruck. I’m starting to think my call of upgrading Sweet might be off the mark now, like or deserving of it or not. His arc this year is like whiplash.

With Martin constantly injured. Tim, you are not allowed to get injured.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Before I Die View Post
    When the club has actively targeted and traded in a player from another club, it has clearly - in the eyes of the MC – been for a specific purpose and the MC has then backed them in and given them clear preference at selection. In just about every case – during Bevo’s time – this has worked out well. At least for a while. Clearly Hannan falls into this category. He hasn’t justified it yet, but the MC must see him as a player who can improve our team and they are determined to give him that chance.

I find the selections strange, but I am buoyed by the fact that they are so strange that they must be part of a plan. Bevo hinted at this in his presser. I wonder if the MC are struggling to come up with a way to overcome Melbourne’s defensive structure and want to test out a theory before we face them in a do or die finals game.

I have been trying to guess what that plan may be, and have realized that I have NFI.
    It’s my belief this policy failed miserably in 2020 and cost us dearly (including in the finals).

13. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Guys, Bevo has been formulating a plan for this very game since the siren went in round 11 and all that scheming and wargaming has led him to Josh Schache. Say what you will, bloke has cohones the size of grapefruits.
    In his last two games Schache set records for a selected player sitting on the bench. What Bevo is doing with this selection is setting a new record. Sorry Schache, you don’t deserve this. Call in sick.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    stringer was given the boot, we were lucky to get anything and would have settled for nothing.

At the end of 2019 Schache was given about 10 consecutive games and kicked 20 goals, better than Bruce has done in recent appearances.

Bruce is our saviour, Schache is our joke. I accept that reality but I don’t accept this statement that Hannan (usually goalless) is better than Schache..
    Did I say one was better than the other? Neither are any good and the fact that they are both playing in a top of the table clash is an absolute joke!

That trade for Schache is our worst which goes to show how well we have traded recently. At the time I was reasonably pleased but looking at it now and how well we can draft we'd have been better off with the picks than grab both these guys.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    As much as I don't really rate Ben Brown anymore I don't think a player that has kicked +60 goals 3 times can have a Majak Daw game.
    I mean mainly coz Ben Brown has pretty much done nothing this year so far. If he’s going to turn it on, it would most likely be against us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Did I say one was better than the other? Neither are any good and the fact that they are both playing in a top of the table clash is an absolute joke!

That trade for Schache is our worst which goes to show how well we have traded recently. At the time I was reasonably pleased but looking at it now and how well we can draft we'd have been better off with the picks than grab both these guys.
    you obviously didn’t read my post.Schache kicked 20 goals in the last 10 games in 2019. He was replaced in 2020 by Bruce who went goalless 10 times and kicked 1 goal six times. A performance that gave the supporters no joy and cost both wins and finals appearances. The trade for Bruce destroyed what 2020 could have been. The fact that Bruce eventually came good doesn’t undo the damage he caused. In comparison, Schache simply has been invisible.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    you obviously didn’t read my post.Schache kicked 20 goals in the last 10 games in 2019. He was replaced in 2020 by Bruce who went goalless 10 times and kicked 1 goal six times. A performance that gave the supporters no joy and cost both wins and finals appearances. The trade for Bruce destroyed what 2020 could have been. The fact that Bruce eventually came good doesn’t undo the damage he caused. In comparison, Schache simply has been invisible.
    Like you I still rate Josh. But I think he’s passed the KPF position to impact or get selected. Up the ground between the arcs could work nicely (like against Geelong VFL where he was BOG with 6 goals still), but I’ve really wanted him KPD for a long while and the time down back in the last two VFL games he looked really good. He has enough attributes, it’s a matter of finding a non-KPF (Bonn it on his head) to allow him to succeed. I’m hoping tomorrow night gives us a chance to see him around the middle/wing and down back. If can show that he’s the third KPD Bevo wants that’s another wildcard we have going into finals. The expectation of KPD monster huge goal kicker should be parked. The expectation of growing into a KPD or link man up the ground should be where we are at. I hope no matter what, he’s given another shot at it against Adelaide. He deserves some time to make the transition.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

19. Thanks Danjul thanked for this post
    Likes josie, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    TBF, it didn't cost us much but at this stage I'd rather the future 3rd.

Schache for 25 (Stringer) and 40 is probably our worst in recent times.
    The end game was to get Schache and Ed
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.