Thanks Thanks:  28
Likes Likes:  165
Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee - Round 19 Vs Melbourne 2021

The Schache selection seems like a cover all scenarios pick. Unsure of exactly how they line up tall forwards so it is cover for that and unsure whether we will need to ensure we have 3 talls of our own forward (Schache could stop Bruce rucking as relief).

Both Schache and Hannan makes us a bit big for my liking. I was actually already thinking it with Jamarra for this week but obviously hoping I’m wrong. Their tall forwards don’t scare me although I concede they are exactly the types we are likely to concede against. I would have been comfortable going in smaller against them.

Much of all the conjecture on selection is irrelevant. This game will likely be won or lost around the ball, we need to get territory and start winning some ball back on turnover. Time to turn up the effort levels a bit from previous weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    The Schache selection seems like a cover all scenarios pick. Unsure of exactly how they line up tall forwards so it is cover for that and unsure whether we will need to ensure we have 3 talls of our own forward (Schache could stop Bruce rucking as relief).

Both Schache and Hannan makes us a bit big for my liking. I was actually already thinking it with Jamarra for this week but obviously hoping I’m wrong. Their tall forwards don’t scare me although I concede they are exactly the types we are likely to concede against. I would have been comfortable going in smaller against them.

Much of all the conjecture on selection is irrelevant. This game will likely be won or lost around the ball, we need to get territory and start winning some ball back on turnover. Time to turn up the effort levels a bit from previous weeks.
    I might add, that if Melbourne are able to move the ball out of their defense through to their forward line, like Sydney did, we'll also be in trouble.

Post Thanks / Like

Lack of continuity in our line up remains a concern more broadly.

Looking forward to this one - big test.

4. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    Lack of continuity in our line up remains a concern more broadly.

Looking forward to this one - big test.
    Yeah, we’re 5 games from finals and there feels like 4-5 spots up for grabs. Other top 4 sides have 1-2.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Agree you need more, I like that part of Zaine's game. He also is an A grade tackler, he maybe changed the course of the GF doing that.

But he has limitations as you've highlighted.

Personally if I was choosing a team I'd be picking guys like Zaine who leave it all out there every day. I'm surprised there's so much negativity towards him on here he's pretty fkn Bulldog.
    Whilst it's all good and well to leave it on the line with effort, and its a trait all players should have... and most do, but at some point your ability to play your role becomes vitally important too. At present Zaine is caught in no mans land on who he can play on due to his physical limitations. He isn't big enough to play on the monsters (see Tom Lynch) and also struggles on the quicker medium sized players (see efforts against the likes of Fritsch, Hayward, Zurhaar and Corbett). Maybe I'm expecting him to 1/2 more contests than the norm, but he seems to be really struggling to effect contests other defenders can and it's costing us goals... and in tight games maybe games.

But hey he gets an A+ for spitting the dummy after he gets out-marked and either falling awkwardly on his opponent or doing other dumb shit like knocking the ball away.... I think he's pretty close to cost us 50m penalties with his antics.

7. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Don’t get the Hannan inclusion.
    The MC might be expecting some tricks against his old side.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Yeah, we’re 5 games from finals and there feels like 4-5 spots up for grabs. Other top 4 sides have 1-2.
    Dunks, Treloar & Wood take 3 of those spots. Let's keep the Dees guessing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Dunks, Treloar & Wood take 3 of those spots. Let's keep the Dees guessing.
    If Gardner and Martin are fit, they're also in. Then you have Crozier, McNeil and Scott right on the cusp of the 22.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

11. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Whilst it's all good and well to leave it on the line with effort, and its a trait all players should have... and most do, but at some point your ability to play your role becomes vitally important too. At present Zaine is caught in no mans land on who he can play on due to his physical limitations. He isn't big enough to play on the monsters (see Tom Lynch) and also struggles on the quicker medium sized players (see efforts against the likes of Fritsch, Hayward, Zurhaar and Corbett). Maybe I'm expecting him to 1/2 more contests than the norm, but he seems to be really struggling to effect contests other defenders can and it's costing us goals... and in tight games maybe games.

But hey he gets an A+ for spitting the dummy after he gets out-marked and either falling awkwardly on his opponent or doing other dumb shit like knocking the ball away.... I think he's pretty close to cost us 50m penalties with his antics.
    A good summation of his limitations. He is currently making Gardner look like Matty Scarlett in comparison. We would be much more balanced with Gardner as a stopping option.

The fact that we are even longing for Easton Wood as a stopper is an indicator that we really lack that diversity of options for different types. It isn’t just talls it is deep forwards in general.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    A good summation of his limitations. He is currently making Gardner look like Matty Scarlett in comparison. We would be much more balanced with Gardner as a stopping option.

The fact that we are even longing for Easton Wood as a stopper is an indicator that we really lack that diversity of options for different types. It isn’t just talls it is deep forwards in general.
    Gardner whilst not strong in the air (it's improving as he gets more confidence) has a better turn of foot compared to Zaine and is able to make ground when caught out of position.. Zaine is struggling in this area at present and when you factor in his limitations with ball in hand it's clear to see why many are frustrated.

In general we don't have lots on competent 1 on 1 defenders which is why when the pressure up field isn't great, as per the case over the past 3 weeks, we look easy to score against, but many of our defenders make up for it as attacking weapons which is something that Zaine doesn't offer.

14. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Like a magician. I wish he'd tried them in some of his past games so I could work out if they're actually any good or not.

Post Thanks / Like

"Cloudy. High (70%) chance of showers, most likely from the late morning. The chance of a thunderstorm in the afternoon and evening. Gusty winds and possible small hail in the afternoon and evening. Winds northerly 15 to 25 km/h increasing to 25 to 40 km/h in the morning then tending northwesterly 30 to 45 km/h in the middle of the day."

Doesn't sound like a night to go in too tall either. Windy, rain, hail and thunderstorms!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    If Gardner and Martin are fit, they're also in. Then you have Crozier, McNeil and Scott right on the cusp of the 22.
    I'd pick McNeil & Scott ahead of Hannan & Roarke.

Don't mind the Schache selection. Hope he grabs his chance.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

18. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post

Agree with you here on Zaine's deficiencies. I'm aware of Cordy's limitations I've watched him closely over the years.

With him though I'm never left feeling he was beaten through lack of effort and putting him self in a position where he is knowingly going to get hurt for the benefit of our team.

I don't have that feeling about all players and it can't be the only measure of course but it's one I personally hold highly.

Plus he has a cracking left foot !

I think he's a good match up for Fritsch, he keeps up on the lead reasonably well, (hopefully those long arms can be used to affect) and physically has him covered size wise. Repeat efforts / leads I do expect him to get off the chain a few times but hope our mids and forwards can give the defence more cover than we have recently and we can force him into the pockets. Fritsch is a good player no one has really kept him quiet yet. He only needs a few chances.

20. Likes SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't understand how he gets a spot. He has not been very effective since his first game for us.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

22. Likes josie liked this post