Thanks Thanks:  28
Likes Likes:  165
Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee - Round 19 Vs Melbourne 2021

Rumour floating around that English was on a plane to WA this morning, not sure I give it any credence though as WA have locked their borders to us.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

2. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee - Round 19 Vs Adelaide Crows 2021

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I had a look at the replay on the way the Hawks played Melbourne and I'm almost of the belief we need to go into the game with a very small forward line which would mean sending Naughton to the back line especially if there is a high chance of rain.

We should kick the ball low into the forward line in nearly every entry creating ground level contests negating May, Lever and Petty's strength of taking marks.

We won't do it mind you but before the finals I'd love to seem them tested like that.

FWIW, I'd consider Naughton and Keath minding the resting ruckman.
    Hawks had Lewis, Jeka and Koschitske forward, and also had a ruck float there too. They went ultra tall up forward to ensure the ball would come to ground.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Marra will be fascinating. Dees really feast on tall forwards who can't contest/bring it to ground. Bruce and Marra (because he is developing) could really hurt us. The flipside is if they are on and we deliver it really well, they can be very dangerous. Bruce with his ability to take chances/contested marks and Marra's freakish abilities.

Watching the Hawks, they really displayed how even scrappy/miskicks/ground balls are better than long bombs. Don't get me wrong, not as easy as this as if it was, teams would kick it along the ground. But lowering the eyes, taking it on etc are just huge. Actually would love it to bucket down to gives us the element of dropped marks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    Rumour floating around that English was on a plane to WA this morning, not sure I give it any credence though as WA have locked their borders to us.
    Where was that rumour from?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    Marra will be fascinating. Dees really feast on tall forwards who can't contest/bring it to ground. Bruce and Marra (because he is developing) could really hurt us. The flipside is if they are on and we deliver it really well, they can be very dangerous. Bruce with his ability to take chances/contested marks and Marra's freakish abilities.

Watching the Hawks, they really displayed how even scrappy/miskicks/ground balls are better than long bombs. Don't get me wrong, not as easy as this as if it was, teams would kick it along the ground. But lowering the eyes, taking it on etc are just huge. Actually would love it to bucket down to gives us the element of dropped marks.
    Long term forecast is 90% chance of rain and 5-10mm.

7. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What about tagging either Oliver or Petracca? Easy to say and hard to do as both elusive, strong and quick. If one or both get off the leash I think we will struggle. Really like idea of GvGjr low (maybe even scrubber) balls into F50 to stop Lever and May having a field day. Or run it into F50. Even better Marra kicking goals from 50m arc-now that I’d like to see.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    What about tagging either Oliver or Petracca? Easy to say and hard to do as both elusive, strong and quick. If one or both get off the leash I think we will struggle. Really like idea of GvGjr low (maybe even scrubber) balls into F50 to stop Lever and May having a field day. Or run it into F50. Even better Marra kicking goals from 50m arc-now that I’d like to see.
    Having a natural goal kicker than can slot them from anywhere is definitely a welcome addition to our forward line!
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Having a natural goal kicker than can slot them from anywhere is definitely a welcome addition to our forward line!
    I just saw his second again on the weekend. He made contact at least 55m out and it cleared the fence over the goal umpire. So effortless to the eye, but easily over 60m. Some teams let the shallow entries hoping most long shots miss. If he can keep doing that, there’s no safe place inside 60m if you’re defending him or trying to.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I just saw his second again on the weekend. He made contact at least 55m out and it cleared the fence over the goal umpire. So effortless to the eye, but easily over 60m. Some teams let the shallow entries hoping most long shots miss. If he can keep doing that, there’s no safe place inside 60m if you’re defending him or trying to.
    It was a beautiful strike.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    I am not sure what the current stats are, but up to (I think) Round 14 we had the meanest defense in the comp. Yep that defense included Crozier, Cordy and Gardner, all of whom seem to be constantly pilloried on this site. Maybe something has changed since those games.
    Every game from 1 to 12 had either Martin or Sweet as ruck in the selected team. The number of possessions hovered around 15% higher than the recent games and the backline was under less pressure.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee - Round 19 Vs Adelaide Crows 2021

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    We really struggled holding those mid sized GC forwards with their pace.

Not sure Lewy would have been better, but Crozier is just about cooked. I understand why he got a spot with two dominating games in the VFL.
    Sexton loves playing us. Had kicked bags of 3,4,6 a few times. We have had issues over the years with these mid sized fwds. Gunston and Bruest are similar types we tend to struggle with. Even a player like Fritsch. I remember a game at marvel in his first handful of games where he took 14 marks and kicked 3 goals. He will be one to watch this week.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Bevo doesn’t like tagging so I’m expecting both those guys to run riot Saturday night, and if he does put the tag in one of those later, it will be a half too late.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't what to see Oliver running around doing what he likes from the opening bounce. He is there number one play maker and more damaging than Petraca. It would help greatly if a lot of work was put in to addressing the issue at its source - Gawn.

We need a big game from Tim English and whoever else takes on ruck duties. Lewis Young to come in.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

16. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Would it have anything to do with the black armband?

Post Thanks / Like

Its on FB.
    The curse is dead.