Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  87
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V North Melbourne R16 2021

There are a few things that concerned me about this game. We were pantsed at the centre stoppages. I don't think I've ever seen the Bont mishandle the ball so much. English did not give himself a good chance against Goldy at throw ins. At least start beside him not half a metre behind him.
    We missed at least 4 sitters from 20 - 35mts out. It is our Achilles heal

We allowed them so many easy possessions in the last. Fortunately they kicked very poorly.

But we got the win and that ia all that matters.

Some very good signs from the blokes at the end of the alphabet - W, W and Y.
    I liked Duryea's game. In fact I was pretty happy with the defence especially B. Dale. Pace, great kick, good link up runner, kicks goal, gains metres.
    Daniel is sure with ball in hand and is always hard at it.
    Bailey Williams continues to play with a cool head and, apart from a horrible turn over, had a solid game.

Alex Keath was very solid in the last line. Zaine was outbodied a couple of times but he did more good things than bad - spoilng, tackling and kicking.

Up forward. Cody was terrific. Great hands, pace and tackles fiercely.

Libba is a "Cool Hand Libba" and kicked clutch goals when we needed them. Macrae and Hunter had solid games as did Bazlenka.

So, we did what we had to do to win. We won without our prime movers having dominant games. We will benefit from a light week. The Swans are quick and play a high pressure run and carry game like us. They had a very soft game against the Cokes. It will be different against us.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

I almost pulled out of going to the game because I thought it would be a bit dull, like it was for much of it.

We gave North a lot of lateral leeway and sat off quite a bit which allowed them a lot of uncontested footy/ marks. We didn't set up defencively often at stoppages, this played into their hands a bit. However, we are a better team, get better looks at goal more often and that was the difference in the end.

Cody is going to be a great player to watch. Easily a match for Pickett in terms of excitement up forward, and will get the recognition for it by the end of the year.

I'm disappointed about Naughton, but that's gonna happen when you're a maniac in the air and I guess you've got to take the good with the bad.

Take the five goal win, take top of the ladder, and move on after a couple of taxing weeks.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

3. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Can we just keep Young in now? Kid has something.
    I like this new angry version of Young. Took a good pack mark in the last quarter and his punching was good. A bit more physicality to his game today and good to see him point and shout out to team members to get in position. His so versatile and can become that Blivac type player for us.
    Last edited by macca; 05-07-2021 at 12:42 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    There are a few things that concerned me about this game. We were pantsed at the centre stoppages. I don't think I've ever seen the Bont mishandle the ball so much. English did not give himself a good chance against Goldy at throw ins. At least start beside him not half a metre behind him.
    We missed at least 4 sitters from 20 - 35mts out. It is our Achilles heal

We allowed them so many easy possessions in the last. Fortunately they kicked very poorly.

But we got the win and that ia all that matters.

Some very good signs from the blokes at the end of the alphabet - W, W and Y.
    I liked Duryea's game. In fact I was pretty happy with the defence especially B. Dale. Pace, great kick, good link up runner, kicks goal, gains metres.
    Daniel is sure with ball in hand and is always hard at it.
    Bailey Williams continues to play with a cool head and, apart from a horrible turn over, had a solid game.

Alex Keath was very solid in the last line. Zaine was outbodied a couple of times but he did more good things than bad - spoilng, tackling and kicking.

Up forward. Cody was terrific. Great hands, pace and tackles fiercely.

Libba is a "Cool Hand Libba" and kicked clutch goals when we needed them. Macrae and Hunter had solid games as did Bazlenka.

So, we did what we had to do to win. We won without our prime movers having dominant games. We will benefit from a light week. The Swans are quick and play a high pressure run and carry game like us. They had a very soft game against the Cokes. It will be different against us.
    How about Wally's game. 3 goals is a good haul.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

6. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    *!*!*!*!ing seagulls

Post Thanks / Like

What is Weightman's contract status?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    We missed at least 4 sitters from 20 - 35mts out. It is our Achilles heal.
    I pray to dog, meranteau, we can heal our heel
    North's 8-behind last quarter pivotal to our win. It's not often we kicked less behinds than the opposition.

10. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Happy with the win, thought our ball movement in the first half was excellent but were obviously off on the pressure stakes.

I'm still stunned by Cody's improvement. He has gone from a VFL player to a bona fide best 22 player in a few months he is exactly the natural small forward we needed.

Bailey Dale and Libba just keep rolling on, both were excellent again

Timmy as the solo ruck is still a massive concern. We can get away with it during the season but come finals time it cant be an option he will get killed in there.

Young was used in way too many roles was a victim of circumstance but acquitted himself well. I'm still keen to see him play exclusively defence along with Cordy and Keath to see what his intercept marking can add to the mix. I think the three talls is something we need to persist with.

Lippa, Scott and Hannan are on thin ice would like to see more from them in a game when the stars didn't shine bright.

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing special tonight. We got the job done and we are back on top which is great. Used the Marvel Stadium carpark for the first time which was good and had my Doggies scarf proudly hanging out the car window on my way home.
    Last edited by Eastdog; 04-07-2021 at 10:52 PM.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

13. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    There's no way to tell.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes footy is dull, sometimes it’s a bit of a chore to sit through, and that was one of those days.

We never looked like losing really but we never clicked into gear either.

I saw a tired bunch who had enough pride and commitment not to let the game slip, but there’s been a physical and mental toll. This is what Hardwick calls Big Boys Month. Unlike some of our competitors for spots we’re doing what we have to do.

The seagull issue is out of control and a mediocre spectacle became literally unwatchable especially from those spots on level 3 to which we are somehow consigned.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

16. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    The seagull issue is out of control and a mediocre spectacle became literally unwatchable especially from those spots on level 3 to which we are somehow consigned.
    Tell me about it.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Finishes this year.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

19. Thanks Dry Rot thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Seagulls issue was ridiculous, that plus the timeslot plus the slog of the game - couldn't wait to get home!
    W00F!

21. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Seagulls issue was ridiculous, that plus the timeslot plus the slog of the game - couldn't wait to get home!
    There were children enticing the seagulls by offering them chips while their mums encouraged them and filmed it on their phones. Bizarre.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

23. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post