Thanks Thanks:  23
Likes Likes:  280
Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V Melbourne R19 2021

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    They should have waited till today when all the press conferences were happening.
    Yep.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I am normally very-anti the AFL. Very easy to think of problems/hard to go with solutions. I'd be intrigued to hear some of the latter, things the AFL should be doing, risk/benefit wise.

I am 100% with them in that the show needs to go on. Political allegiances aside, national approach isn't Australia's thing with Covid. This could get a lot worse and the year will be over before vaccination rates help enough. Do we really risk the cataclysmic financial loss of TV $? I am genuinely interested to hear options.

With fixtures, I feel they were trying to get in as early as they could. I think something we are all struggling to grasp to different levels is this simply often does change by the hour. Of course that is not excusing poor decisions but changing your mind within a couple of hours can be par for the course in Covid World.

3. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If it weren't a business, I'd definitely pause it by the way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    I am normally very-anti the AFL. Very easy to think of problems/hard to go with solutions. I'd be intrigued to hear some of the latter, things the AFL should be doing, risk/benefit wise.

I am 100% with them in that the show needs to go on. Political allegiances aside, national approach isn't Australia's thing with Covid. This could get a lot worse and the year will be over before vaccination rates help enough. Do we really risk the cataclysmic financial loss of TV $? I am genuinely interested to hear options.

With fixtures, I feel they were trying to get in as early as they could. I think something we are all struggling to grasp to different levels is this simply often does change by the hour. Of course that is not excusing poor decisions but changing your mind within a couple of hours can be par for the course in Covid World.
    Without crowds there will be no memberships. Without memberships there will be no clubs. Without clubs there will be no competition. That's not to even talk about TV revenues and other not insignificant corporate considerations.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

6. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If it weren't a business, I'd definitely pause it by the way.
    It's strange that my kids are home foregoing an education but footy matches are going ahead. I mean, I'm glad they are I love the Bulldogs, but there is a lot of noise this time around from the non-football loving community saying pull the plug.

8. Likes SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Without crowds there will be no memberships. Without memberships there will be no clubs. Without clubs there will be no competition. That's not to even talk about TV revenues and other not insignificant corporate considerations.
    Same applies to every business that has been forced to shut down.

10. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Same applies to every business that has been forced to shut down.
    AFL estimate they have lost $600 million in revenue.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

12. Thanks Ghost Dog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree. I guess I am viewing this more as a bad vs worse argument. No doubt continuing with no crowds, disrupted fixture etc is a 'bad' scenario. I feel pausing it might be worse though as it could get a lot worse meaning no season at all, this a killer with TV rights.

I hear the people saying pausing it or we don't like what the AFL are doing. But what's the plan? I get venting, frustration, I do a lot of it, you follow me on social media so know that ha! But what's the viable alternative? I am legit ready to listen and have my mind changed as believe me, I don't love this option.

14. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree. I guess I am viewing this more as a bad vs worse argument. No doubt continuing with no crowds, disrupted fixture etc is a 'bad' scenario. I feel pausing it might be worse though as it could get a lot worse meaning no season at all, this a killer with TV rights.

I hear the people saying pausing it or we don't like what the AFL are doing. But what's the plan? I get venting, frustration, I do a lot of it, you follow me on social media so know that ha! But what's the viable alternative? I am legit ready to listen and have my mind changed as believe me, I don't love this option.
    If it gets that bad, a 1 week pause now to survey the lay of the land amidst 3 states in lockdown will have no impact on whether the season goes ahead or not.

But the pause may allow the season to continue with some integrity if the situation doesn't escalate.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

16. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I actually agree with you in relation to hoping the AFEL can continue on with the season. But I also agree with 1ED's point in relation to the clear hypocrisy and unfairness of other businesses and industries being forced to shut down at the same time, through absolutely no fault of their own. And the messaging/decisions are being made by people who, to be blunt, have no skin in the game whatsoever - not one mediocre politician/health beurocrat or hyperbolic media public servant in this country has lost one cent of their income in the last 18 months.

The bell-end from SA apparently has announced today that intimate partners are not allowed to visit each other. This gross and disgusting overreach in our private lives by thoroughly mediocre politicians/health beurocrats should never be accepted by anyone.

The question we all need to ask is what is the end-game here? How can footy or any entertainment/hospitality industry with live crowds be able to function in the future? COVID normal is not normal. I fear for the sports/entertainment industry if we cannot revert back to 2019 life. Anything less will be disastrous long term.
    Last edited by Sedat; 20-07-2021 at 06:34 PM.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

I actually agree with you in relation to hoping the AFEL can continue on with the season. But I also agree with 1ED's point in relation to the clear hypocrisy and unfairness of other businesses and industries being forced to shut down at the same time, through absolutely no fault of their own. And the messaging/decisions are being made by people who, to be blunt, have no skin in the game whatsoever - not one mediocre politician or hyperbolic media public servant in this country has lost one cent of their income in the last 18 months.

The bell-end from SA apparently has announced today that intmate partners are not allowed to visit each other. This gross and disgusting overreach in our private lives by thoroughly mediocre politicians should never be accepted by anyone.
    I think we totally agree on this then.

19. Likes Sedat, Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    If it gets that bad, a 1 week pause now to survey the lay of the land amidst 3 states in lockdown will have no impact on whether the season goes ahead or not.

But the pause may allow the season to continue with some integrity if the situation doesn't escalate.
    I guess if we paused every time something very difficult to navigate comes up with this, then we would be pausing most weeks. We had a leader who wants no part of a national approach/accountability and the premiers. realistically, benefit from other states failing. But you know, maybe as ridiculous as it is, that's the answer. Play a round, pause, play a round, pause. Again worse vs bad. Clearly the one week pause will do very little but you know, maybe the benchmark for least worst option isn't great.

Post Thanks / Like

The issue as I see it is we might have some different views, but the above argument/convo/compromise is something our political system cannot do. In Australian politics, agreeing/compromising with the other side is just seen as very weak/wrong. Our adversial system is just awful when something actually has to be done.

22. Likes Sedat, josie, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    AFL estimate they have lost $600 million in revenue.
    That's a lot of money but its relative. Look I want the season to continue as much as the next Bulldog supporter but tell that to Mr Small Business who can't feed his kids or pay his mortgage.

I mean I know people in this boat. So many small businesses operate week by week. It's just reality out there.

24. Likes Sedat, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    That's a lot of money but its relative. Look I want the season to continue as much as the next Bulldog supporter but tell that to Mr Small Business who can't feed his kids or pay his mortgage.

I mean I know people in this boat. So many small businesses operate week by week. It's just reality out there.
    Where is the innovation? I mean why don't we turn footy day into a big vaccination drive?
    Fill the MCG, test everyone and vaccinate them. If you do you get a free ticket!
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus