Thanks Thanks:  23
Likes Likes:  280
Page 38 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2829303132333435363738394041 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V Melbourne R19 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Rivals Merv Hobb's mark over Melbourne's ruckman Tassie Johnson. I think Cody's wins.

2. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Indeed. We need diversified views here, we know how much you love the Dogs, that's well established.
    But if DG picks Adelaide next week I'll spew up.

4. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Don't watch the footy shows this week. We'll get kudos for stealing (funnily the words Peter Ryan used in his The Age match report) top spot instead of earning it, and that'll be it. Nothing else will come our way.
    Melbourne are just an undisciplined mob.

Post Thanks / Like

Liked Schache game tonight. Did very well for us behind the ball.

We must keep playing Marra.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

7. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Great to see Schache take the challenge on today and he certainly played his part in a fine win

Daniel, Liberatore. Hunter, Dale and Duryea all had good games plus I thought English put in a stellar performance.
    A few points on some of those players you mentioned.

Daniel- Bevo just keeps deploying him wherever he thinks the game is up for grabs. Melbourne were on top in the rain when we injected him around the ball in Q1. Was the cleanest player out there immediately. Later on we used him as a sweeper around stoppages and then behind the ball again. Won’t get AA this year but more important and influential to team success.

Hunter- like Daniel he has been playing different roles for the sake of the team. Had we deployed him in his traditional role this year I think it would have been his year for AA. I’m sure he is getting lots of credit internally.

Duryea- In all our big wins this year his ability to diffuse dangerous fast plays often on turnover has been invaluable. The reading of cues from the opposition kicker from both he and Williams must be getting worked on at training. Almost playing a turnover-turnover game at times turning dangerous opposition counter attacks into our own.

Dale- Huge difference from his last game against Melbourne. Am I the only one that thinks he has toed every kick he does before it lands safely in his teammates hands? I thought he did some really tough things and was a major headache for them all night.

Libba- did anyone get a feel for how long he spent forward? Was definitely forward for periods.

English- was excellent in some aspects of the game. I’m usually less concerned by hit outs than most but I must say I was concerned by the utter dominance of Gawn. The decision to set up a deeper sweeper at stoppages and sweat on opposition with tackles and smothers was successful. It’s something others have actually done to us successfully. My concern is on a dry day can we afford to be that reactive?

9. Thanks GVGjr, jeemak thanked for this post
    Likes azabob, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Don't watch the footy shows this week. We'll get kudos for stealing (funnily the words Peter Ryan used in his The Age match report) top spot instead of earning it, and that'll be it. Nothing else will come our way.
    I called him out over Twitter for that turn of phrase. Will be interesting if he responds or changes it.

Another Age reporter used the same language last week.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

11. Likes bulldogtragic, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I called him out over Twitter for that turn of phrase. Will be interesting if he responds or changes it.

Another Age reporter used the same language last week.
    Stealing by definition is illegally taking something that doesn’t rightfully belong to you. I’d like to see that justified. Is winning more games mean top spot is not automatic? Are there other factors? What about percentage? Is that subjective now? What about disrespect, is that par for the course?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

13. Likes azabob, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How good it is to wake up this morning knowing that we won last night.

I just can't resist the happy dance.

This forum has become a part of my footy life. Foxtel for the game and woofers at the intervals, Many thanks to all who contribute to the match day experience. Somehow isolation is easier with you guys out there.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Rivals Merv Hobb's mark over Melbourne's ruckman Tassie Johnson. I think Cody's wins.
    Correction: Trevor Johnson, but you're hardly the first to mix them up. And I reckon it was better than Merv's mark. Would have been perfect if the ghost of EJ was in the background, framed by the old stand, looking on.

https://images.app.goo.gl/hCyMY43E2cHoLydt7
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Terrific result. Think we demonstrated a key element that has us well poised, we can make adjustments. Very few losses this year have felt like they couldn’t be turned around with another crack and last night was affirmation of it.

Exposed the Dees for their pea hearts too I think. They are good, but I don’t think it is in them to scrap through deep waters. That sort of thing is in our veins and whilst we’ve been shaky at the pointy end, the competition for spots seems to be bringing it back to the sursurface.

17. Likes merantau, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking at the stats between both games they have obliterated us for contested possession. It doesn’t feel like they are beating us for post stoppage ground balls (eye test) so I’m guessing it is skewed by Gawn feeding it down his mids throats?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    Correction: Trevor Johnson, but you're hardly the first to mix them up. And I reckon it was better than Merv's mark. Would have been perfect if the ghost of EJ was in the background, framed by the old stand, looking on.

Yes you are right merantau always get them mixed up. Tassie was the more high profile I think....could be wrong again ha ha. Cody was higher than Merv so yes Cody's was better for mine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    Looking at the stats between both games they have obliterated us for contested possession. It doesn’t feel like they are beating us for post stoppage ground balls (eye test) so I’m guessing it is skewed by Gawn feeding it down his mids throats?
    That is definitely a surprising stat as I thought that was an area we excelled. There was a contest in the centre where both Bont and Macrae literally ripped the ball from Dees’ players’ hands. It always felt like we wanted it more which normally goes with contested possessions.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post

I was there as a young boy behind those goals that day Hobbs marked, the 1961 prelim. Before the mark there was a priest in the row of then wooden seats behind me, after the mark he somehow jumped the seats and was in our row. Was it pure Footscray joy or divine intervention ? In those days one could train to Jolimont, walk through the park soaking up the anticipation, buy a ticket and walk in to watch the 3rds, seconds and firsts Grand finals. Now it is travel packages and corporate.

22. Likes josie, jeemak, Bulldog4life, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Fair call about an iconic Bulldogs mark.
    Were you there for Hobbs BFL?
    I wasn't but the mark reached my young self through the HS great photo.
    It made me proud.