Thanks Thanks:  23
Likes Likes:  280
Page 39 of 41 FirstFirst ... 29303132333435363738394041 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V Melbourne R19 2021

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    That is definitely a surprising stat as I thought that was an area we excelled. There was a contest in the centre where both Bont and Macrae literally ripped the ball from Dees’ players’ hands. It always felt like we wanted it more which normally goes with contested possessions.
    Contested possessions take in lots of different inputs. Lots of AFL clubs now focus on post stoppage ground balls to measure who is winning those genuine 50/50 balls.

2. Thanks The bulldog tragician thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’d love to see Naughton, Bruce, Hannan, Marra heat maps.

I can’t recall really seeing either of them up on the wings or in defence - which for Naughton and Hannan is very unusual.

I know this was the plan to keep May and Lever accountable, I for one hope we continue to keep a couple of our key forwards inside 50 for the remainder of the season.

Come finals time we will need that get out kick.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I’d love to see Naughton, Bruce, Hannan, Marra heat maps.

I can’t recall really seeing either of them up on the wings or in defence - which for Naughton and Hannan is very unusual.

I know this was the plan to keep May and Lever accountable, I for one hope we continue to keep a couple of our key forwards inside 50 for the remainder of the season.

Come finals time we will need that get out kick.
    You could see on the side view when we had a slow play free kick in our half or a stoppage they were all pulling deep. They actually were not leading a great deal either at times. It was a clear tactic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    I think a number of Woofers BT judge him too harshly. In my eyes he has had a good season.
    B4L this is WOOF sub script. I have twice looked through several pages to know who you are referring to yet others know. I have to guess Cordy, Hannan but WOOFERS talking about absence of Dunks Treloar affecting Mr X.
    Either way I love Cordy and Hannan.
    Cordy is limited in talent but an ace at professionalism, fair mongrel and application. Every contest he is the surgeon ready with a scalpel.
    Hannan is tough and good in contesting in air and on ground. He knows how to goal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    You could see on the side view when we had a slow play free kick in our half or a stoppage they were all pulling deep. They actually were not leading a great deal either at times. It was a clear tactic.
    What does Melbourne try to do to counter it next time? Switch match ups?

It’s a tough one because if we have the right areas and know we’ve got either 1:1 or 2:2 in those zones deep it makes us more predictable and perhaps then opens up the lowering of the eyes if they have others zoning back to create a mismatch deep rather than guarding space ahead of it.

7. Likes dog town liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post

It’s a tough one because if we have the right areas and know we’ve got either 1:1 or 2:2 in those zones deep it makes us more predictable and perhaps then opens up the lowering of the eyes if they have others zoning back to create a mismatch deep rather than guarding space ahead of it.
    They seem pretty happy with the way they defended because we didn’t take marks inside 50 but it stopped them getting out on the rebound. Depends if they are ok with that, they could drop another player back and risk us getting further on top around the ball. It can be a noose around your neck relying on winning it back the way they do there is lots of options to counter it so you need other methods.

Gawn also seemed to take less intercept marks so it was obviously a focus.

9. Thanks Go_Dogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Contested possessions take in lots of different inputs. Lots of AFL clubs now focus on post stoppage ground balls to measure who is winning those genuine 50/50 balls.
    Take out Clayton Oliver with his 25 CP and the stats look better

Is Oliver damaging enough?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

They seem pretty happy with the way they defended because we didn’t take marks inside 50 but it stopped them getting out on the rebound. Depends if they are ok with that, they could drop another player back and risk us getting further on top around the ball. It can be a noose around your neck relying on winning it back the way they do there is lots of options to counter it so you need other methods.

Gawn also seemed to take less intercept marks so it was obviously a focus.
    Thanks - it’s a good point. If you limit our forward line to lower single digit marks in F50 you probably take that as a coach. Going to be fascinating if we do meet them again this year.

Post Thanks / Like

For the remainder of the season do you think we should look to have two stay at home forwards more often than we prior to this week?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    For the remainder of the season do you think we should look to have two stay at home forwards more often than we prior to this week?
    Hard to tell exactly what’s happening when you’re not there but it actually looked like we were holding more than 2 really deep in those scenarios.

I don’t think we ever plan not to keep a couple of deep options but every game is different. Sometimes players get pulled out of position rounding up or rolling up to spare defenders. Sometimes your forwards lead and don’t get it right. Last night looked like we almost wanted to kick to congestion at times, almost defending with the ball. I doubt that will be every week.

Usually if we have nobody inside 50 it’s on a turnover and your forwards have rolled up to protect the corridor or line up on the 45 kick. I don’t think you can avoid that scenario in modern footy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    B4L this is WOOF sub script. I have twice looked through several pages to know who you are referring to yet others know. I have to guess Cordy, Hannan but WOOFERS talking about absence of Dunks Treloar affecting Mr X.
    Cordy is limited in talent but an ace at professionalism, fair mongrel and application. Every contest he is the surgeon ready with a scalpel.
    Hannan is tough and good in contesting in air and on ground. He knows how to goal.
    It's Baz he's referring to.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post

Petition the AFL to change the rules in some way?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westbulldog View Post
    I was there as a young boy behind those goals that day Hobbs marked, the 1961 prelim. Before the mark there was a priest in the row of then wooden seats behind me, after the mark he somehow jumped the seats and was in our row. Was it pure Footscray joy or divine intervention ? In those days one could train to Jolimont, walk through the park soaking up the anticipation, buy a ticket and walk in to watch the 3rds, seconds and firsts Grand finals. Now it is travel packages and corporate.
    Me too, Got to go to the 1961 Grand Final too. We fell into the finals in 4th position....only top 4 played finals in those years...only 2 points in front of 5th and 6th teams. Had to stand all day watching the 3 matches. You had to get there early to get a good position as I was only ten at the time. In a good position at half time 8 points up. Wasn't to be.

17. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    As others have said BID I was referring to Baz.

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes art empowers us and projects a gleeful gaze into the tapestry of time.

This image, simply entitled "apprendisti", is a standard bearer for the form.

20. Likes bornadog, jeemak, SquirrelGrip, Eastdog liked this post