Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  10
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question: This season so far…

Does it remind you of any particular season in your viewing lifetime, or is this altogether new and different?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question: This season so far…

Glass half empty: 08/09 in some respects.

We are very good. Good enough on our day. Not convinced we’ll have enough of our days when it matters. Can see Melbourne and Geelong doing what St Kilda and Geelong did to us in the Eade years.

Glass half full:

Rare territory for us. Our best is better than I’ve seen. If we are fit and settled at the pointy end, the flag will wag.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post

We are very good. Good enough on our day. Not convinced we’ll have enough of our days when it matters. Can see Melbourne and Geelong doing what St Kilda and Geelong did to us in the Eade years.

Glass half full:

Rare territory for us. Our best is better than I’ve seen. If we are fit and settled at the pointy end, the flag will wag.
    08/09 always felt like we were a distant third in the flag race. This year feels like there is no juggernaut and we're in it up to our eyeballs.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post

Glass half full:

I think we are already in rarified air. Freo and Eagles in Perth, GWS away, Port away, Cats in front at the final siren at Bracks Park.
    I can't recall another season like it.

5. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    08/09 always felt like we were a distant third in the flag race. This year feels like there is no juggernaut and we're in it up to our eyeballs.
    Agree on the 08/09 version, but considering the respective injury lists etc, we can be the juggernaut.

We copped Richmond and Melbourne as opponents when we had lost a significant top level player and we needed to work some adjustment over the following weeks.

The away wins were full of merit and we are actually improving as the season progresses. If we get close to a healthy list we will be extremely hard to stop.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

This year is a bit like 1998 when after 14 rounds (games) we were 10/4 so similar. We finished the year second on the ladder, only beaten by a goal in the last round to make top.

However, the players and the depth this year are far better, and we won't have a Rohan Smith playing CHB on a monster CHF in the prelim.
    Last edited by bornadog; 29-06-2021 at 10:14 AM.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

8. Likes SonofScray, Dry Rot, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1985 to me and we had a great team that year
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

10. Likes SonofScray, chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    This year is a bit like 1998 when after 14 rounds (games) we were 10/4 so similar. We finished the year second on the ladder, only beaten by a goal in the last round to make top.

However, the players and the depth this year are far better, and we won't have a Rowan Smith playing CHB on a monster CHF in the prelim.
    Basically same answer word for word for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    1985 to me and we had a great team that year
    Yep. Very similar. In 1985 we had a dominant tall forward and a couple of handy small/mediums. Good midfielders, a slightly undersized but well organised defence and good squad depth we could call up from.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    And me.

1998 was the first season I thought of when I saw the OP.

And my season as a Dogs fan and seriously following AFL
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

However, the players and the depth this year are far better, and we won't have a Rowan Smith playing CHB on a monster CHF in the prelim.
    And a team that finished 5th won't lose in the first week of finals and still win the flag.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

We have more A-graders now I believe.

However that 98 loss was an example of both the best and worst of Terry Wallace, and to some degree that playing group. Can’t decide if they were scarred by 97 or conversely believed we were now “owed” that win & just needed to turn up, but it was equally bitter.

There isn’t an outstanding contender this year. I’m very impressed by our group’s resilience. It was no small feat after that Geelong loss to come out with such commitment. If we just have injury luck at the right time I don’t see why we can’t challenge this year. And let’s face it Aaron Naughton is an upgrade on Simon Minton- Connell.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

16. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

98 to me too.

At this point though, we could press on and be the front runners by season’s end. We were just spectacular against WC. Good luck anyone playing against us if we bring that level of intensity.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    Even “Rowan”?
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

19. Likes EasternWest, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We're in rare air - simply because I don't recall us ever having two 100 point wins in a season. We are more ruthless, piling on goals late against the Eagles as well.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers