Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  29
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The older I get, the LESS I care about individual awards.

Once upon a time, I was interested in the following:

B&F
    Brownlow
    Coleman
    All-Australian

Anytime 'one of ours' was involved, I wanted it celebrated and THEM celebrated.

Now? I could care less.

I could care less about AA. Brownlow. Coleman. Coaches Award. Player Assoc MVP. I guess SOMEONE has to win the B&F but if they decided to not award the Charles Sutton medal I would be 100% fine with it.

All I want is to win games. And almost by whatever means possible. I look at team stats I admit...but I could care less WHO kicks the goals...just as long as WE do. I could care less about how many touches anyone gets as long as they play 'their role'. I could care less about anything except getting the points.

Does anyone feel more and more this way or is it just me?
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The older I get, the LESS I care about individual awards.

Will I certainly care most about the win/loss.

Also am interested in the individual performance to the extent that it impacts the team collective.

I would probably always like to understand more of the why and how, but celebrating a victory is what it is all about and I am far enough through the journey of life, that premierships are what really matters.

I also what those to be multiple premierships.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

3. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the Brownlow particularly is meaningless and/or the umpires should have no say in it.

That being said I will be deleting this comment or editing it to say it's the most important award of all when Bontempelli wins it this year.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    I think the Brownlow particularly is meaningless and/or the umpires should have no say in it.

That being said I will be deleting this comment or editing it to say it's the most important award of all when Bontempelli wins it this year.
    The Brownlow is considered important if one of ours win it, but I want the Norm Smith Medallist much more.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

6. Likes Max469 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When we were less successful, we hung on to these individual awards because we didn't have much to celebrate, so we cared a lot more.

I have always been very sceptical of awards such as AA, rising star because of the people awarding them. The Coleman is nice because it is clear cut - most goals, can't dispute it. I have gone off the Brownlow a bit because umpires won't award votes for players on losing teams (3 votes ie), which is wrong, because the Brownlow is an individual award and doesn't matter how your team plays. (sort of). Also, seems like a midfielders award and no one else wins??? If Bont wins I will be super happy.

Overall I get what you are saying, to me too, winning games is everything and finals even better.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

8. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a lot of interest in the B&F if only because if gives us mug punters an idea of what the coaching panel find valuable.
    The guy who kicks goals or the guy who intercept marks? Which backmen get votes - rebounders or stoppers? How do disposal tallies match midfield votes, and if they don't which roles are seen as more important?
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer the umpires voting. It is tradition and also, do you really want a panel of the likes of Leigh Matthews, Kane Cornes and say Eddie putting the votes in.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

A premiership is a TEAM award. Everything else is individual awards. Ask any player what they would prefer. Exactly my thoughts as well. It’s about winning and winning the premiership.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    The Brownlow is considered important if one of ours win it, but I want the Norm Smith Medallist much more.
    Stop being so unselfish. We can have both, in one package.

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I prefer the umpires voting. It is tradition .
    Imma stop you right there.

and also, do you really want a panel of the likes of Leigh Matthews, Kane Cornes and say Eddie putting the votes in.
    Not really, but I would prefer that by a significant margin than Ray Chamberlain being involved.

Post Thanks / Like

Not really, but I would prefer that by a significant margin than Ray Chamberlain being involved.
    Ok Kevin Barlett then and maybe Lewis Taylor will romp in this year

Post Thanks / Like

Ok Kevin Barlett then and maybe Lewis Taylor will romp in this year
    I've always felt Lewis Taylor and his stumpy legs/long sock combo never got the respect they deserved.

Post Thanks / Like

I gotta admit I wanna see a Dogs player win the Coleman. When I was a little kid I had to run around the backyard pretending I was James Cook if I wanted to imagine I was kicking 15 on the MCG. I’d love to see young Dogs supporters having someone slightly more aspirational to emulate today.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

16. Likes bornadog, bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I gotta admit I wanna see a Dogs player win the Coleman. When I was a little kid I had to run around the backyard pretending I was James Cook if I wanted to imagine I was kicking 15 on the MCG. I’d love to see young Dogs supporters having someone slightly more aspirational to emulate today.
    Pppfft, I was a Simon Minton-Connell man all the way.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Pppfft, I was a Simon Minton-Connell man all the way.
    Long sleeves, chest marks only?
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I was a Kelvin Templeton man. (hello Twodogs)

When Royce Hart moved him to CHF, the supporters almost rebelled. He had kicked 118, then 91 and he gets moved?

1980 goes to CHF, kicks 75 and wins Brownlow.

20. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post